Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP(SIP) over Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 01-09-2019 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a setup for the past 10 years that involves two blueface SIP lines over a slow, (1.7Mbps) but stable DSL connection. It's been next to faultless when it's up. Approximately a year ago I setup a E5186 mobile broadband router for all computers, APs etc. and have been going with the €20/28 day three deal which has been a huge improvement, mainly I would imagine due to me being on a very quiet sector of a 3G mast approx 3km away. Best I get is 32 down /4 up. Worst 10 down /4 up. Pings 30-40ms...10ms better than my DSL. It has been faultless for the past year.

So I am paying €ir €60 for the DSL line that probably uses 300MB/month and €20 to three for 1000x the data usage. I'm double NATing at the moment as I have the E5186 and PfSense in series so I'd have to go with a single router setup if I move forward.

So before I 'break' my current setup I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with using SIP accounts over reasonably stable 3G mobile data connections or would I be advised to steer clear?

I would of course trial it for a period before getting shot of the fixed line but would welcome your opinions.

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would expect the DSL line to be more reliable/stable but you could always check by trying one line on each for a period .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Check that three don't disrupt VOIP on the SIM.

SIP works better with 4G but can be reasonably good on stable 3G.

Check if there is any noticeable delay when using VOIP over 3G by testing it out with a SIP app on a smartphone using the WiFi on the E5186 or else use a standard phone plugged into the RJ11 socket on the router with the SIP login details entered in the router settings.

Advertisement