Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit unprofessional.

Options
  • 02-09-2019 8:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Have an electrician coming to my house today at 10am. It’s been booked in for the last 2 weeks.
    Get a text off electrician yesterday evening saying

“If u are near an electrical wholesalers in the morning please pick up a 20 amp RCBO B TYPE safety switch “

He could have asked me sooner. Is it normal for electricians to ask customers to buy things at an electrical wholesaler?
    I would have thought being an electrician he would have a supply of these type things anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

In fairness to him he might have had one for your job but used it in an emergency call out over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

What’s “a bit Irish” about that?

Anyway, I’ve had tradesmen ask me to pick up bits and pieces for jobs at my place because it saves us both time. No big deal really. If you say no then he’ll go get it himself but will just probably be late arriving at your place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

anacc wrote: »
    What’s “a bit Irish” about that?

Anyway, I’ve had tradesmen ask me to pick up bits and pieces for jobs at my place because it saves us both time. No big deal really. If you say no then he’ll go get it himself but will just probably be late arriving at your place.

My phrasing wrong, meant a bit amateur.
    Essentially giving me 1 hours notice to pick up a part. Now I know he is only asking the question, but initial reaction was is this lad taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP it would be unusual to ask a client to get the gear.

The emergency callout option above sounds reasonable.

Sometimes you just have to get stuck in with these things, it's hard to get a supplier that provides , best price, reliable, good quality. Usually you get just 2 of those.

Stoner wrote: »
    OP it would be unusual to ask a client to get the gear.

The emergency callout optionabove sounds reasonable.

Sometimes you just have to get stuck in with these things, it's had to get a supplier that provides , best price, reliable, good quality. Usually you get just 2 of those.

Yeah, fair enough.
    Yes you are right, very hard to get anyone these days. And then they probably won’t turn up then on the day.
    (Happened multiple times already with other tradesmen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The electrican obviously knows the client and has assumed he can possibly pick up the part saving him time and possibly reducing the cost to the client of the job. The electrican obviously also knows about the job already as they know what parts are required.

The electrican obviously knows the client and has assumed he can possibly pick up the part saving him time and possibly reducing the cost to the client of the job. The electrican obviously also knows about the job already as they know what parts are required.

Nope. Never met the man before. Don’t know him from Adam. Also, would the electrician not get parts cheaper - trade price, buying in bulk for other similar jobs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Nope. Never met the man before. Don’t know him from Adam. Also, would the electrician not get parts cheaper - trade price, buying in bulk for other similar jobs etc

Ahhh ok, i wouldn't hold it against him at the same time. Over in the motors forum there's lots of threads about people who want to buy their own parts but their mechanics refuse to fit them.

In an electrical wholesalers the prices aren't usually too bad the main difference is you will pay VAT on the price of the part, where as he can claim that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP I changed the title of your post to your own alternative suggestion.

I heard that expression when I worked in London and heard it used on the Jeremy Kyle show on YouTube an Irish person used it to demonstrate relative stupidity. It went down well with the audience.

Anyway i take it that is was used here and you corrected it yourself when pulled up on it. No need to explore this anymore, some posts were deleted as part of this clean up

Stoner wrote: »
    OP I changed the title of your post to your own alternative suggestion.

I heard that expression when I worked in London and heard it used on the Jeremy Kyle show on YouTube an Irish person used it to demonstrate relative stupidity. It went down well with the audience.

Anyway i take it that is was used here and you corrected it yourself when pulled up on it. No need to explore this anymore, some posts were deleted as part of this clean up

That’s grand. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

“If u are near an electrical wholesalers in the morning please pick up a 20 amp RCBO B TYPE safety switch “

Totally unprofessional and not the normal. If as you confirmed in a later post he has not been to your house before, he can have no way of knowing he will require this part. Sounds like a nixer guy operating on a shoestring, avoid

Have you checked he is registered here https://safeelectric.ie/find-an-electrician/

Advertisement