Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco "Bags For Life" handles falling off

Options
  • 02-09-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if it is happening with all bags, it could be a bad batch, but in Fairview Tesco, the first bag that I was given, the handle fell off in the shop. I was given a replacement and the handle fell of half way back home. My mayonnaise jar cracked with the fall.
    Are Tesco taking the mick here with these bags or what? They are a rip off at 70c even if they work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The reason they are 70c is that once a bag is 70c or more, the plastic bag tax does not apply.

So complete and utter rip off.

And it's no longer a "bag for life".

I'd bring the bag back with the broken mayo and request a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Get an Aldi one, much better quality. I've had mine for at least 18 months now and it's in perfect condition still. They're €3 or more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Buy the cotton bags please not these plastic bags they will surive an ice age and probably a few millenniums after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I am not sure if it is happening with all bags, it could be a bad batch, but in Fairview Tesco, the first bag that I was given, the handle fell off in the shop. I was given a replacement and the handle fell of half way back home. My mayonnaise jar cracked with the fall.
    Are Tesco taking the mick here with these bags or what? They are a rip off at 70c even if they work.

It all depends on if you had overloaded the bag or just had a jar of mayo in it. If it was just a jar of mayo then the bags aren't fit for purpose and you should get a refund, not sure how what's damaged in them would work. If you'd the weeks shopping in one bag then it's your fault the bag broke.

I find the plastic bags can be fairly weak from some stores, they are barely better than the free bags they used to give out, while the webbing bags are much stronger and don't cost much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Del2005 wrote: »

It all depends on if you had overloaded the bag or just had a jar of mayo in it. If it was just a jar of mayo then the bags aren't fit for purpose and you should get a refund, not sure how what's damaged in them would work. If you'd the weeks shopping in one bag then it's your fault the bag broke.

I find the plastic bags can be fairly weak from some stores, they are barely better than the free bags they used to give out, while the webbing bags are much stronger and don't cost much more.
    No there were 6 items in it. 1 liter milk, mayo, 1 steak, bread, butter and biscuits. When I brought the bag home, the remaining handle was hanging on by a thread. It was like removing a postit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,275 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I bought a 70 cent Tesco plastic bag last week. The handles broke on the way to the car. I went back into customer service and she looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

is the op just ripping the pi$$ here?

do you want to see dozens of plastic bags hanging off the tress and bushes when it windy out ? if your bag breaks they replace it. 70c is so that people don't throw them away.

if you want a good sturdy one, buy a better bag, the ones in Aldi are really good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

stevek93 wrote: »
    Buy the cotton bags please not these plastic bags they will surive an ice age and probably a few millenniums after that.

A common misconception that cotton bags are better for the environment. They are not and the facts should be clear when making the decision.

https://qz.com/1585027/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-cotton-totes-might-be-worse-than-plastic/
    Cotton bags must be reused thousands of times before they meet the environmental performance of plastic bags—and, the Denmark researchers write, organic cotton is worse than conventional cotton when it comes to overall environmental impact. According to the report, organic cotton bags have to be reused many more times than conventional cotton bags (20,000 versus 7,000 times), based on the assumption that organic cotton has a 30% lower yield rate on average than conventional cotton, and therefore was assumed to require 30% more resources, like water, to grow the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I insist that my butler carries an empty rucksack when going shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

OP, what sort of biscuits? Jacob’s Mikado?

is the op just ripping the pi$$ here?

do you want to see dozens of plastic bags hanging off the tress and bushes when it windy out ? if your bag breaks they replace it. 70c is so that people don't throw them away.

if you want a good sturdy one, buy a better bag, the ones in Aldi are really good.

There is so much wrong with your post its difficult to even start.
    Firstly Tesco should be supplying quality bags that don't break because its good for the customer and its good for the environment. What's going to happen to all the broken bags that are returned? Better for the environment that they worked first time. Do you agree? Next.
    Secondly why should anybody have to go to Aldi to get a bag that works?
    Thirdly. 70C is on the high side for these plastic bags. People are now sufficiently environmentally savvy to reuse bags whether they are 20C or 70c. If you buy a 70C bag, you should at the very least be getting one that works.

OP, what sort of biscuits? Jacob’s Mikado?
    How'd you guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if you take away you attitude for moment and look at the issue.

you buy a 70c bag, and it breaks , they replace it. not a bad deal. But your not happy with that & you don't like the quality of the 70c bag

I suggested buy a better quality one. Which indently they do sell. However if it make you happy, you can parade aldi or lidl ones around your local tesco. They last longer and don't break. i have a some that are 2 years old, and still going strong!

so what ever you found wrong with my post, i assume it wasn't the advice therin!

if you take away you attitude for moment and look at the issue.

you buy a 70c bag, and it breaks , they replace it. not a bad deal. But your not happy with that & you don't like the quality of the 70c bag

I suggested buy a better quality one. Which indently they do sell. However if it make you happy, you can parade aldi or lidl ones around your local tesco. They last longer and don't break. i have a some that are 2 years old, and still going strong!

so what ever you found wrong with my post, i assume it wasn't the advice therin!

You didn't address the environmental issue. Also, 2 from the same batch broke for me. So getting a new one from the same shop is not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Darc19 wrote: »
    The reason they are 70c is that once a bag is 70c or more, the plastic bag tax does not apply.

Really? I didn't know this. So is this why retailers have done away with the lighter plastic bags which used to be 22 cent?

Edit : I found more info on the below page.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/environment/topics/waste/litter/plastic-bags/Pages/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get one of the large Lidl bags with the nylon webbing handles. You could carry a small child in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

stevek93 wrote: »

Excluding idiots dumping them at the beaches and micro beeds, plastic in itself does very little damage on land. what damage will the bag do stuck in a ditch in rural Limerick for example?

We need to stop thinking of plastic as permanently disposable. It can be a very valuable resource. It can even be converted back into fuel. Maybe if we made these materials a lot less flimsy then they could be reused over and over again.

Not having a go at you by the way, I just think the whole thing is overrated and if handled correctly plastic could actually stop stuff like deforestation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

How'd you guess?

I was watching. I laughed when I saw your mayonnaise jar smash. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Are Tesco not using the compostable bags now? thought I saw these in Galway recently.

• Advertisement

I was watching. I laughed when I saw your mayonnaise jar smash. :)
    LOL, that was you, I think you laughed too much for my liking. :)

Advertisement