Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet speed

• 02-09-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,
    I have a 300 Mbps fibre broadband package on which I have an mxq pro 4k android box connected to the modem via ethernet cable.
    I'm aware that the capability of the box is 100 Mbps. I use the Ookla speed test app and it shows around 70 Mbps or so.
    Recently, I added a VPN (Surfshark) and, when it's running, my speeds come in around 16~20 Mbps.
    If I were to purchase a new 1000 Mbps box, would this ensure that I will get much better speed? Will I get the full 300 Mbps less the average 50 Mbps that the VPN consumes? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the VPN is giving you 16-20 itll give 16-20 on ANY connection. Its not -50 from what you have, its an absolute limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Superspurs50

ED E wrote: »
    If the VPN is giving you 16-20 itll give 16-20 on ANY connection. Its not -50 from what you have, its an absolute limit.

I feared this might be the answer I would get!!! Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You should be getting better speeds than that from a VPN unless they are overselling their capacity
    Regardless of that you are paying for a package twice the capacity of your devices bandwidth

fritzelly wrote: »
    You should be getting better speeds than that from a VPN unless they are overselling their capacity
    Regardless of that you are paying for a package twice the capacity of your devices bandwidth

Yeah, I'm very disappointed in the speed difference between VPN on and off particularly as I'm already losing out on my 300 Mbps package due to the limitations of the android box.

TBH even if you had a gigabit box you still wouldn't be using 300mbps or close to it for streaming

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    TBH even if you had a gigabit box you still wouldn't be using 300mbps or close to it for streaming

Fair point. Its just that I'm seeing 300 going to 100 going to 16. I'd be happy enough if it was in the 20's I guess. And I researched user reviews before I went for the Surfshark VPN. They were all very positive. Ah well!

Fair point. Its just that I'm seeing 300 going to 100 going to 16. I'd be happy enough if it was in the 20's I guess. And I researched user reviews before I went for the Surfshark VPN. They were all very positive. Ah well!

From what I can see fairly new so expect lots of shill reviews

Advertisement