Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband mast emissions

• 02-09-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife have an offer in to purchase a house in Co. Sligo. We have a concern as there is a broadband mast located 10-15m from the house. It is owned by Fastcom. I rang them this morning for some information but as I expected they declined my request. I have health issues but am more concerned about the effect on my young kids. How do I get more information on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

No evidence that you should have any health concerns at all about a broadband mast.

The biggest impact on your family's health will most likely be smoke from coal during the winter and backyard burning during the summer. The government cancelled its plan to impose a nationwide ban on smokey coal this year because of pressure from business groups. Look up the effect of pm2.5 on child development and general health. You can complain to the council about repeated backyard burning, but burning coal is still legal outside urban areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

See that phone in your pocket? What do you do when it rings? Yeah, you stick it to your noggin. If you're not worried about that don't worry about the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

ED E wrote: »
    See that phone in your pocket? What do you do when it rings? Yeah, you stick it to your noggin. If you're not worried about that don't worry about the mast.

No, I am worried about the level of electrical energy that is being sent out to power all the phones in people’s pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

The most radio energy involved in the operation of a phone network that hits you is not the downlink power (i.e. base station -> phone), but the uplink power, simply because power goes down with the square of distance, and you're darn close to your phone compared to the base station antenna.

Mobile operators also like to keep base station power levels down as it is one of their biggest costs. On the other hand your handset power increases power output to maintain signal quality. This way the operator passes the power cost to the user by making your phone work harder.

The biggest factor in your decision is going to be if/when you try to sell the house and then you meet potential buyers that might worry like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

boege wrote: »
    Mobile operators also like to keep base station power levels down as it is one of their biggest costs. On the other hand your handset power increases power output to maintain signal quality.

so, would it be safer living relatively closer to your mobile providers mast?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It doesn't send out electrical energy. It sends out radio waves which are demodulated by your phone. Being worried about the electrical energy it generates is little like living beside a printers and being worried about how loud all the words will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fastcom are a WISP, not a mobile operator. I'm pretty sure they don't own any masts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Fastcom are a WISP, not a mobile operator. I'm pretty sure they don't own any masts

How do you find out who owns a mast? I have a photo but not sure how to post it onto boards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

How do you find out who owns a mast? I have a photo but not sure how to post it onto boards.

Don't post it here, I don't want the photo energy coming off my screen and affecting my health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore
    https://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

orli na nh wrote: »
    so, would it be safer living relatively closer to your mobile providers mast?

Best thing you could do is not insulate the gaff and use old windows.

Second best would be never makes "real" calls, only the likes of Whatsapp/Viber.

Or just like, not be a tinfoil nutjob.

Advertisement