Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Rfrip wrote: »
    Fair point actually! My first gig is Bon Iver May bank holiday and i dont think its looking good

I've Bon Iver and Nick Cave in the first week of May and I'll be stunned if either goes ahead. Even if conditions in Ireland remain exactly as they are now, the acts just won't tour if they've to cancel large numbers of gigs elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Nada Surf gig in The Button factory looks to be going ahead this Saturday,they have played shows in Paris despite the lockdown on “live events”, the band must really need the cash.

I’m in two minds to head to this gig on Saturday meself..,

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Nada Surf gig in The Button factory looks to be going ahead this Saturday,they have played shows in Paris despite the lockdown on “live events”, the band must really need the cash.

I’m in two minds to head to this gig on Saturday meself..,

In France, there's a ban on gatherings of 1000 people or more, until 15th April. So, according to social media, Nada Surf played two gigs and asked the punters to turn up to either! Something like a 6pm and 8pm slot to choose from.

Do they need the cash, or are they legends? :)

Definitely turn up on Saturday and make sure when you go to the jacks that you do not shy away from the lad there offering the paper towels and chewing gum. My bet is that he has hand sanitiser too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Definitely considering offloading my ticket after that first announcement have two other major festivals this summer as is and i really think im gonna struggle to find things to do apart from get p1ssed if the lineup stays along the lines of what's been announced. Not as many mates going this year. Ep feels like its losing its place as a special festival with great bookings,line up feels very "generic popular music festival"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

It's annoying that Bright eyes and big thief are playing in Ireland around the time of EP, both would have improved the lineup for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've Bon Iver and Nick Cave in the first week of May and I'll be stunned if either goes ahead. Even if conditions in Ireland remain exactly as they are now, the acts just won't tour if they've to cancel large numbers of gigs elsewhere.

Yea, i've Nick Cave, Sun Kil Moon, and Leif Vollbekk in May.
    If Ireland moves into the 'delay phase' then all large gatherings will be cancelled, that'll be NC cancelled.
    The other 2 are smaller gigs (200-250 capacity) so could go ahead, but you'd wonder would they travel over from the U.S. / Canada?
    Not looking good at the minute, that's for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

expect a lot more cancellations. theres a good chance that it will just be a load of irish bands playing.

But besides that, every year people give out about the line up, "this isnt what EP is all about" and every year I go and have a blast. Mainly because of new acts or acts I didnt know anything about. Do ye all want the same acts playing that played 10 years ago?? You'll have to just accept that the over 40s market isnt that lucrative for a promoter, start listening to some of what the kids listen to and get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭darzog

My tuppence worth.

Firstly, put aside the headline acts for a moment. What is much more telling is the third section, the undercard. 95% pop, hip hop, grime, dance. Target demographic? Well, certainly not this grizzled almost 50 something.

I think that the jig is finally up for me and mine in the eyes of the EP organisers.. I know none of this is exactly revelatory, but money drives festivals, not sentiment. Future proofing is key. Benn knows that we have had our day in the sun and in a way we are being (grudgingly?) thanked for our loyalty through being “allowed” to have our areas. Salty Dog, Trailer Park, Spike Island, the late Body & Soul. Even feels like Jerry Fish is being put out to pasture by being gently ushered into the woods this year. We are kept sweet because we have, for the greater part, a level of disposable income that allows us to consume, and thereby make it an attractive proposition for suppliers and traders. However, no one likes feeling that they are being milked.

It all feels like scraps from the table though. Having said all of that, Many of those scraps is well tasty. Plus, after last year’s EP there was a palpable sense on here that it had been a more enjoyable experience than the previous year, despite the misgivings about the woods not being freeflow.

If I feel that I can curate my own festival within the wider festival with other like minded souls, then I can kind of live with that..:.Ill try to remind myself of that statement as I swallow something hard and jagged come the stress and expense of ticket release day.

As always, see you down the front...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

darzog wrote: »
    My tuppence worth.

Firstly, put aside the headline acts for a moment. What is much more telling is the third section, the undercard. 95% pop, hip hop, grime, dance. Target demographic? Well, certainly not this grizzled almost 50 something.

I think that the jig is finally up for me and mine in the eyes of the EP organisers.. I know none of this is exactly revelatory, but money drives festivals, not sentiment. Future proofing is key. Benn knows that we have had our day in the sun and in a way we are being (grudgingly?) thanked for our loyalty through being “allowed” to have our areas. Salty Dog, Trailer Park, Spike Island, the late Body & Soul. Even feels like Jerry Fish is being put out to pasture by being gently ushered into the woods this year. We are kept sweet because we have, for the greater part, a level of disposable income that allows us to consume, and thereby make it an attractive proposition for suppliers and traders. However, no one likes feeling that they are being milked.

It all feels like scraps from the table though. Having said all of that, Many of those scraps is well tasty. Plus, after last year’s EP there was a palpable sense on here that it had been a more enjoyable experience than the previous year, despite the misgivings about the woods not being freeflow.

If I feel that I can curate my own festival within the wider festival with other like minded souls, then I can kind of live with that..:.Ill try to remind myself of that statement as I swallow something hard and jagged come the stress and expense of ticket release day.

while this is true, I'm not calling it until I go and have a **** time. For €170 + fancy camping I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they dont deliver on a solid line up, if I know most of the acts or not. Theyve pretty much done a good job every year for the last 10 years+ so I'm putting my trust in people who know more about it than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

My tuppence worth.

Nicely put.

There is another reason too. ;) Daddy (moi) will be there, off to pasture in the grey areas, but available as a cash machine for the chaps centre main stage. No card, pin needed. Same bat-time, same bat-channel tomorrow...please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

I'll be going to EP as long as I am fit and able to do so. I'll be 43 by the time this episode rolls around, made my peace with having a high percentage of the acts on the main stages not being for me. In the past five outings I've found myself drawn to the smaller stages and taken more chances with acts I haven't heard of. Suppose it helps that I'm an old cheesy quaver so I have ample Late Club opportunities. I can tell you this though, the first year I miss heading down to Laois of a late August/early September, I will be getting it tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

all schools colleges, childcare closed from tommorrow
    sh*ts getting real!

from RTE....

The following measures will come into effect from tomorrow until 29 March:

Schools colleges and childcare facilities will close from tomorrow.

Indoor mass gatherings of more than 100 people and outdoor mass gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled.

Where it is possible to work remotely people should do so.

Mr Varadkar said we need the public and businesses to take a sensible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭desk tidy

Each year at lineup announcement time a lot of us end up putting our disappointment down to our age. Looking at the early lineups, say 2007, I would have been 24 then. Although I couldn't afford festivals at the time I remember being so impressed with the lineup. I can't imagine my 24 year old self being overly excited by the last few lineups.

I'm not saying it's terrible or anything btw, we always end up having a good weekend even if it's sometimes a bit light on music we want to see.

Meanwhile in the 6 Counties, we're getting *checks notes* a bridge between Antrim and Scotland?! No, that can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

desk tidy wrote: »
    Each year at lineup announcement time a lot of us end up putting our disappointment down to our age. Looking at the early lineups, say 2007, I would have been 24 then. Although I couldn't afford festivals at the time I remember being so impressed with the lineup. I can't imagine my 24 year old self being overly excited by the last few lineups.

I'm not saying it's terrible or anything btw, we always end up having a good weekend even if it's sometimes a bit light on music we want to see.

I showed the lineup to a lad that I work with and his comment was "Wow! Very good. I'd go to see all of those!"

And the likes of Facebook is divided between comments of "Best line up in 10 years" and "Shocking line up!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I showed the lineup to a lad that I work with and his comment was "Wow! Very good. I'd go to see all of those!"

And the likes of Facebook is divided between comments of "Best line up in 10 years" and "Shocking line up!!"

Casual fans and music fans, a forum like this would have you believe theres alot more music fans then there actually are in reality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If they are going to have Foals headline the EA please put them up against Picture This or Lewis Capaldi :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

BaZmO* wrote: »

Pretty much the same every year on Facebook then? I remember one hilarious comment one year say the only good act was Lily Allen. How I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Didn't go last year with the line up.

Very happy with yesterday's announcement and glad have a ticket!

Stay safe everyone in the next few weeks.

Mrs S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

There is no chance of this going ahead. Absolutely zero.

• Advertisement

Also, it's going to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

poundhound wrote: »

September is a long long way away, anything could happen in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

rubick wrote: »
    Meanwhile in the 6 Counties, we're getting *checks notes* a bridge between Antrim and Scotland?! No, that can't be right.

There's rumblings that things are gonna get cancelled or be postponed till autumn. It's just a matter of time. BCC emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss measures.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    There's rumblings that things are gonna get cancelled or be postponed till autumn. It's just a matter of time. BCC emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss measures.

Was thinking about getting tickets for Johnny Marr @ CQAF, already have Rich Hall tickets. Might leave it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Rfrip wrote: »
    Fair point actually! My first gig is Bon Iver May bank holiday and i dont think its looking good

I don't think we'll see any US artists over here until July at the earliest. Coolio cancelled Galway yesterday, Greg Dulli (Afghan Whigs) today.

Even if govt restrictions on gatherings are eased we won't have travelling artists for a few months at least.

paulieeye wrote: »
    expect a lot more cancellations. theres a good chance that it will just be a load of irish bands playing.

But besides that, every year people give out about the line up, "this isnt what EP is all about" and every year I go and have a blast. Mainly because of new acts or acts I didnt know anything about. Do ye all want the same acts playing that played 10 years ago?? You'll have to just accept that the over 40s market isnt that lucrative for a promoter, start listening to some of what the kids listen to and get on with it!

I'd assume it was the most lucrative of all. The forty/fiftysomethings here are spending thousands per year on gigs. Those under 25 are spending a portion of that. And it isn't just a minority of the older crowd going to gigs, it's a big part of the demographic.

My tuppence worth.

Despair not. I was disappointed also but I believe Covid-19 had a part in it and the fully-fleshed out lineup will have lots for us.

I'm not of the mindset that it's now a kid's fest with the odd attraction for the oldies. It's not. That was the same reaction after Emily Eavis took over Glasto and put loads of pop on the main stage. Glasto is still great, and so is EP.

rubick wrote: »
    Was thinking about getting tickets for Johnny Marr @ CQAF, already have Rich Hall tickets. Might leave it for now.

Worst you'll lose is your booking and admin fee but I can't see something like that going ahead at the end of April. The very best we can hope for are gig in three months.

Going to be a lot of happy campers on here for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Glasto line up out, there's an awful lot of their undercard that are pure picnic material

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

poundhound wrote: »

Your submission has been considered and rejected:

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/electric-picnic/525060/coronavirus-will-not-impact-electric-picnic-2020-says-festival-organiser.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement