Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That Janis Joplin one on the list is absolutely brilliant.

Was shown in BBC a couple of times.

If it's still on Netflix, the wrecking crew is well worth watching, and agreed in the anvil doc. Not my type of music, but feck I wanted them to succeed.

I really like Stewart Copeland's stuff that's been on BbC recently, and Sky Arts also have some great concerts on at the moment, including in from R.E.Ms Monster tour which was the last with all 4 original members

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Obviously none of these compare to Spinal Tap, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Watching an Irish special on BBC4, facts pop up for each band, were the Frank's really supported by Radiohead

Therapy? On now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Poorside wrote: »
    Watching an Irish special on BBC4, facts pop up for each band, were the Frank's really supported by Radiohead

Therapy? On now.

I'm a little tipsy, and I don't want to cause controversy, but....Radiohead had two and a half good albums and have been up their own arseholes ever since.

Feels good to get it off my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I'm a little tipsy, and I don't want to cause controversy, but....Radiohead had two and a half good albums and have been up their own arseholes ever since.

I agree, Pablo Honey and the Bends are absolute gems, OK computer is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Therapy? On now.

Been good so far. Am saying to myself I'll call it a day when The Corrs come on ... As they inevitably will.

Great seeing the Frank and Walters, surprised by that fact too.

I agree, Pablo Honey and the Bends are absolute gems, OK computer is grand.

Exactly! The half is the Pop is Dead EP/single

• Registered Users Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

*left eye starts to twitch*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wow, rarely has anybody every been so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

I wouldn't totally disagree with it, but I'm not a gigantic Radiohead fan. In fact I'd go as far to say that as a young lad I had no time for them at all. It took me years to grow an appreciative ear for them. Similar situation for Pink Floyd for me. Now I think wish you were here is the greatest song ever written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

endainoz wrote: »
    I wouldn't totally disagree with it, but I'm not a gigantic Radiohead fan. In fact I'd go as far to say that as a young lad I had no time for them at all. It took me years to grow an appreciative ear for them. Similar situation for Pink Floyd for me. Now I think wish you were here is the greatest song ever written.

Aslan totally killed wish you were here for me :(

Still love Pink Floyd though

And I'm glad people are saying they don't love Radiohead, they have for reasons I'm not totally sure of become a band that are fashionable to love

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Are we - in the EP thread - back to fighting over Radiohead?

Getting back to the music docs, most people here might not be into the genre at all but Ken Burns' series about country music is absolutely fantastic. Covers it right from the beginning and is a unique insight into the music business in general in America and how it became so popular.

He is an amazing film maker anyway, his one about the Vietnam war is also amazing. (And has great music with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I think Kid A is a really good album and really got into In Rainbows recently, some beautiful songs on it too. Would love a return to the guitar driven sound

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

In rainbows my personal favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

In rainbows my personal favourite.

Me too. Never tire of it. It's a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/20-concert-films-stream-self-quarantining/

Nice list of stuff here, some aren't available on Irish Netflix but I'm sure lads have ways. The story of Anvil should be on this list too, such an uplifting documentary.

I'm finally getting around to watching Searching for Sugar Man myself.

Loads of great stuff on there. Though I hope the isolation won't make me so deranged as to consider the Rush doc.

Therapy? On now.

Yep, on at least one UK tour. I caught them both at the Jericho Tavern in 1992 or 1993 but can't remember a thing about Radiohead. Should have drank less and paid more attention.

I believe that Suede supported them also.

Greatest surprise support acts? My all-time fave is Mercury Rev before The Bad Sseds on the Abbatoir Blues tour at Brixton. Famously reprised at EP 2005. Let's get those two back someday.

On the live streaming front, Daoiri Farrell is doing a live stream tomorrow night. I know a few here have heard him before, amazing Irish ballad singer.

To enter the Radiohead fray, they are for me unquestionably the greatest band of the last thirty years and amongst the greatest of all.

Kid A their standout. OK Computer has some astonishing tunes but is a tad overrated. Amnesiac, The Bends, Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows I much prefer and there's impressive stuff on the other releases. Com Lag is also very special.

They also pi*s all over most other acts in a live setting.

Yep, you may have noticed I'm not entirely in agreement with the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Afraidofwhatun

In agreement with Seathrun here. Im probably in agreement with the OP so far as to say The Bends and OK Computer are my favourite albums, but Kid A Amnesiac Hail to the Thief In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool are all compelling albums on their own.

They have this amazing ability to make music that gets into your bones and it almost all has that repeatability quality - usually improving with time.

They definitely deserve their status as many people's top band worldwide.

Sadly have never seen them live.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    To enter the Radiohead fray, they are for me unquestionably the greatest band of the last thirty years and amongst the greatest of all.

Kid A their standout. OK Computer has some astonishing tunes but is a tad overrated. Amnesiac, The Bends, Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows I much prefer and there's impressive stuff on the other releases. Com Lag is also very special.

They also pi*s all over most other acts in a live setting.

Yep, you may have noticed I'm not entirely in agreement with the OP.

I also love them too (see my username) but I do think that a lot of people just like them because it's fashionable to do so. People who normally don't give a toss about music for e.g. I've met plenty of them. People who go to their concerts and Instagram about them but never mention them again.

I must strongly disagree with your comment about them pissing all over other most acts live though. If you say that, I'd suggest you haven't seen enough good bands live

I must strongly disagree with your comment about them pissing all over other most acts live though. If you say that, I'd suggest you haven't seen enough good bands live

It's just an opinion, which I also disagree with but no need to be patronizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I also love them too (see my username) but I do think that a lot of people just like them because it's fashionable to do so. People who normally don't give a toss about music for e.g. I've met plenty of them. People who go to their concerts and Instagram about them but never mention them again.

In fairness, Lotus Flower, you've been around here long enough to know that of all the prolific gig goers on here to level that accusation at, you've probably picked the wrong one there. Disagree by all means but that's a bit silly.

It's just an opinion, which I also disagree with but no need to be patronizing.

It's a lighthearted discussion, I know from posting here and interacting with Seathrun that he has seen loads of bands, probably far more than I have so it was hardly a serious comment.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    In fairness, Lotus Flower, you've been around here long enough to know that of all the prolific gig goers on here to level that accusation at, you've probably picked the wrong one there. Disagree by all means but that's a bit silly.

Please see my previous post!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

90125223_3081567028549670_475783132587491328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=SrumzijA1ysAX86qyp_&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=ffb297b7d48a9d63243611cf7542536f&oe=5E9AE985

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I've never met anyone who liked Radiohead for reasons of fashionability. I've met plenty of people who don't like them for that reason.

My opinion is entirely subjective. Just an opinion, impossible to prove or disprove.
    And for the record I've probably seen every act of note from the last four decades. Not in a boastful way, I just go to a lot of gigs.

https://youtu.be/FUbrTBtIdH4

The obsession has started! Did you ever get to see this guy Seathrun? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Wooderson wrote: »
    None of them are fair comparisons though are they? Country wont be able to spare the resources to run any large events. EP should cancel today and be done with it.
    Fully agree

I cannot see a gathering of 70k people being allowed at the start of Sep, no matter how much it's under control at that stage. And rightly so.
    There are already concerns about reoccurence in Autumn. I don't see any festivals happening this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement