Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

90125223_3081567028549670_475783132587491328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=SrumzijA1ysAX86qyp_&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=ffb297b7d48a9d63243611cf7542536f&oe=5E9AE985

When are the Saturday day tickets out?
    What will the weather be like?
    Can I bring cans?
    Should I park in the yellow carpark?

Shïte lineup, delighted I decided not to go this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

sassyj wrote: »
    Fully agree

I cannot see a gathering of 70k people being allowed at the start of Sep, no matter how much it's under control at that stage. And rightly so.
    There are already concerns about reoccurence in Autumn. I don't see any festivals happening this year.

Yup, just cancel it today and make my week of disappointment complete, should be in Spain right now, Glasto and David Gray cancelled and the money I had for Glasto tickets has already been spent on a 'project' for me thats involves DIY, which I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Nothing like a dose of reality to take away the little bit of hope people are clinging to in these dark times.
    Next topic: How to explain to your 3 year old why believing in Santa is silly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I've never met anyone who liked Radiohead for reasons of fashionability. I've met plenty of people who don't like them for that reason.

My opinion is entirely subjective. Just an opinion, impossible to prove or disprove.
    And for the record I've probably seen every act of note from the last four decades. Not in a boastful way, I just go to a lot of gigs.

Believe me, I've met those people too. People who are obsessive in their dislike. Tedious.

And as for my comment, it wasn't serious, thought it would be obvious to anyone who's a regular poster here. Isolation is clearly playing havoc with my brain...

endainoz wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/FUbrTBtIdH4

The obsession has started! Did you ever get to see this guy Seathrun? :-)

I heard he has seen f*ck all acts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Virtual social distancing group hug everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Fully agree

I cannot see a gathering of 70k people being allowed at the start of Sep, no matter how much it's under control at that stage. And rightly so.
    There are already concerns about reoccurence in Autumn. I don't see any festivals happening this year.

No evidence to suggest either way. September is months away.

In other news, it's Sunday and no word. Looks like that EP banter page was talking through it's hole, what a surprise!

Rfrip wrote: »
    Virtual social distancing group hug everyone?

Gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

https://youtu.be/FUbrTBtIdH4

The obsession has started! Did you ever get to see this guy Seathrun? :-)

Alas no. Would love to.

When the movie came out pals asked me to go see a screening of it in a venue called the Troxy in Limehouse in East London. The director was also giving a talk but I skipped the whole evening. I knew nothing about him bar Sugar Man and only that as David Holmes had put it as the opening track on an album from the start of the millennium.

At a guess few of the crowd knew anything about him and hard to see anyone not getting a buzz from the movie. And as a bonus they rolled up the screen afterwards to reveal Rodriguez and his band who played a few tracks from Cold Fact.

I felt a little ill after hearing about that set. Especially after seeing the movie much later.

The good news is that he's still gigging. He played Glasto a few years ago and was supposed to play Primavera but pulled out. Worry not Eanna, we'll yet get a chance to see him.

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Alas no. Would love to.

When the movie came out pals asked me to go see a screening of it in a venue called the Troxy in Limehouse in East London. The director was also giving a talk but I skipped the whole evening. I knew nothing about him bar Sugar Man and only that as David Holmes had put it as the opening track on an album from the start of the millennium.

At a guess few of the crowd knew anything about him and hard to see anyone not getting a buzz from the movie. And as a bonus they rolled up the screen afterwards to reveal Rodriguez and his band who played a few tracks from Cold Fact.

I felt a little ill after hearing about that set. Especially after seeing the movie much later.

The good news is that he's still gigging. He played Glasto a few years ago and was supposed to play Primavera but pulled out. Worry not Eanna, we'll yet get a chance to see him.

Hopefully some day ha!

https://youtu.be/nFkeBNUktlk

Luka Bloom did a brilliant show recorded from The Aloe tree in Ennistymon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Lasses & lads, I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

source.gif

Just stick to the sleepometer!!

Seriously though I agree. I just can’t see it happening.

At least we won’t have fomo! Its mad though
    I mean to think when we were all up in arms over the new layout of the map and bringing cans into salty dog, That the following year there was going to be a pandemic!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Not a hope EP is going ahead this year. Insurance would never allow it, let alone common sense or responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Hopefully some day ha!

https://youtu.be/nFkeBNUktlk

Luka Bloom did a brilliant show recorded from The Aloe tree in Ennistymon.

Watched half of Luka and really impressive. It's still odd watching a guy in a health food store playing to nobody. Love that town btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

There wont be any summer music festivals this year. I'd be surprised it Coachella goes ahead in October. The US is about to hit exponential growth rates soon (it has the second most active cases after Italy now) and its health service will be overwhelmed. And it has a monkey for a president. So it will take a big, big hit. If it recovers before October it would be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I cannot see EP happening this year and resigned to that. If it does a great bonus, even with a crap lineup, but not holding my breath, good thing is that a year off wont kill it off so will be back next year assuming no other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

No evidence, but common sense. EP will not be happening. The weekend gone is evident that not everyone is aware how serious this is.

Not a hope EP is going ahead this year. Insurance would never allow it, let alone common sense or responsibility.

I doubt insurance would have anything to do with it. It wouldn't cover it anyway. Venues around the country are closed because of a government order on gatherings, not because of insurance.

• Advertisement

No evidence, but common sense. EP will not be happening. The weekend gone is evident that not everyone is aware how serious this is.

The weekend gone is still more than 5 months away, the simple fact is that we don't know but evidence from other countries that have been dealing with it longer suggest it wont take as long. Japan are slowly starting to return to normality with small scale events albeit With strict entry controls.

The weekend gone is still more than 5 months away, the simple fact is that we don't know but evidence from other countries that have been dealing with it longer suggest it wont take as long. Japan are slowly starting to return to normality with small scale events albeit With strict entry controls.

Appreciate the optimism and positive thinking

Need it this morning tbh

Rfrip wrote: »
    Appreciate the optimism and positive thinking

Need it this morning tbh

No bother, it's just kind of annoying seeing posts from people who never post in this forum using the holier than thou attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

No bother, it's just kind of annoying seeing posts from people who never post in this forum using the holier than thou attitude.

Absolutely wrong. This is far more extreme than a casual problem. We are only at the start of the problem and 15,000 people have died worldwide. It’s not a case of someone being a spoilsport and ruining the fun.
    You might think – “shure we all know that”. But that’s not the case. The gang in the apartment above me last night decided to have a party. A place where there’s normally 2 people had about 10 last night – happy out. I’m not saying they should be sad. But 8 of them shouldn’t be there at all!!! I was up in the Phoenix Park yesterday with the family. Get out of the house for few hours. Lovely stuff. Found our own patch. Sufficient distance away from any other groups. I had a look around and there were gangs having footie matches – maybe 20 in a game. And other groups of people hanging around the papal crossing. The relevance this has to EP is if we want life to return to some normality, the sooner we realise that social distancing has to be properly implemented for it to work, the quicker we get rid of the virus. But if we are half-assed doing it, it will linger on, more people will get infected and more will die. And the longer it goes on. And everything will get cancelled/postponed.

It's not holier than thou. Unfortunately, it’s just the way it is.

Absolutely wrong. This is far more extreme than a casual problem. We are only at the start of the problem and 15,000 people have died worldwide. It’s not a case of someone being a spoilsport and ruining the fun.
    You might think – “shure we all know that”. But that’s not the case. The gang in the apartment above me last night decided to have a party. A place where there’s normally 2 people had about 10 last night – happy out. I’m not saying they should be sad. But 8 of them shouldn’t be there at all!!! I was up in the Phoenix Park yesterday with the family. Get out of the house for few hours. Lovely stuff. Found our own patch. Sufficient distance away from any other groups. I had a look around and there were gangs having footie matches – maybe 20 in a game. And other groups of people hanging around the papal crossing. The relevance this has to EP is if we want life to return to some normality, the sooner we realise that social distancing has to be properly implemented for it to work, the quicker we get rid of the virus. But if we are half-assed doing it, it will linger on, more people will get infected and more will die. And the longer it goes on. And everything will get cancelled/postponed.

It's not holier than thou. Unfortunately, it’s just the way it is.

I agree with most of what you said there, but thats not really a conversation for a thread about a festival where we discuss music and gigs and the like. There are plenty of threads on boards about this pandemic and to be honest I find the EP thread to be a nice break from all that madness.

I'll say it one more time, we don't know what will happen in five months, we have no idea really but optimism is vitally important in a time of such negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I agree with most of what you said there, but thats not really a conversation for a thread about a festival where we discuss music and gigs and the like. There are plenty of threads on boards about this pandemic and to be honest I find the EP thread to be a nice break from all that madness.

I'll say it one more time, we don't know what will happen in five months, we have no idea really but optimism is vitally important in a time of such negativity.

Ya. True. I normally don't get too engrossed in the auld covid myself. Catch the headlines and that's about it. But I really want this to go away. I know there are bigger issues at play, but I really really miss gigs. The buzz of the anticipation. The thought of having nothing is driving me crazy. Have never been to EP; have couple of young kids. But they are at an age now where this was going to be my first dip in the water.

I agree about optimism. But there's also blind optimism - where we have thousands going around like it's somebody elses problem. But it becomes everybody's problem, because unless we take it seriously, we're not going to get our gigs back.

Anyway, no more from me on the Covid. Back to seeing if any more snippets of Pearl Jams new album. A bright spark to my week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

It's a bit like sticking your head in the sand though. This is the first major, world wide health issue we've had in our lifetimes. It's the most sudden, seismic change to societies since world war 2. Its completely unprecedented. Japan, Taiwan etc are returning to something tangential to normality because they learned fro SARS and acted fast. No country in the west has done this, and it's gotten out of hand incredibly fast. Anything entertainment oriented is on the chopping block until at least july. To hope that this is all sorted and ready for september is naive to say the least.
    It's not doom mongering, its realism, and its important to say it because realism is what will solve this quickly (which is a relative term here -this is months and not weeks). Misplaced optimism is part of the reason the west is in such chaos right now and it's also the reason we're headed for lockdown right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

In order to keep me happy, i've been downloading stuff, not music though, classic movies, this weekend i've pulled down
    1 - masque of the red death
    2 - solyent green
    3 - the andromeda strain
    4 - contagion (not a classic but hadn't seen it since i saw it in cinema)

i'm a cheerful f***er i am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

BadTurtle wrote: »
    It's a bit like sticking your head in the sand though. This is the first major, world wide health issue we've had in our lifetimes. It's the most sudden, seismic change to societies since world war 2. Its completely unprecedented. Japan, Taiwan etc are returning to something tangential to normality because they learned fro SARS and acted fast. No country in the west has done this, and it's gotten out of hand incredibly fast. Anything entertainment oriented is on the chopping block until at least july. To hope that this is all sorted and ready for september is naive to say the least.
    It's not doom mongering, its realism, and its important to say it because realism is what will solve this quickly (which is a relative term here -this is months and not weeks). Misplaced optimism is part of the reason the west is in such chaos right now and it's also the reason we're headed for lockdown right now.

We're all intelligent people in here. I don't think there's any need to be hammering us over the head with Covid 19. Everyone's aware of the situation. It's ok to talk about normal music related **** in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

2 - solyent green

I want Charleton Heston's scarf from that movie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement