Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Stillill42 wrote: »
    We're all intelligent people in here. I don't think there's any need to be hammering us over the head with Covid 19. Everyone's aware of the situation. It's ok to talk about normal music related **** in the meantime.

Can I also have my annual whine about how Electric Picnic doesn't have much by way of craft beer due to the Heineken sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Can I also have my annual whine about how Electric Picnic doesn't have much by way of craft beer due to the Heineken sponsorship?

Absolutely, Johnny fill your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

We're all intelligent people in here. I don't think there's any need to be hammering us over the head with Covid 19. Everyone's aware of the situation. It's ok to talk about normal music related **** in the meantime.

Absolutely were all we aware of the situation, I remember saying to shut stuff down long before the government announcement in order to save our summer season. It's not in head in the sand stuff at all, nor is it blind optimism. It's just optimism.

I remember the little Cute Hoor cottage thing one year, are they corporate owned? They had a big trad session in there aswell, was great fun.

endainoz wrote: »
    I remember the little Cute Hoor cottage thing one year, are they corporate owned? They had a big trad session in there aswell, was great fun.

Yeah, they're Heineken.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they're Heineken.

Ah I was thinking, I hate the way big breweries are trying to get in in the craft market. Those Rockshore ads pretending it's from the West irritate me to no end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Absolutely, Johnny fill your boots.

Great! So I understand that there is corporate advertising money etc to be gained by having a sponsor beer that owns all the bars and whatever they say goes. I also understand how much it costs to run a music festival.

But I still don't understand why they can't have one small local brewery that has an inconvenient bar and/or higher prices. That way, only the people who are really gagging for an IPA or the like will give them business, and so the big corporate sponsors are hardly put out.

Also, if I have a few inconvenient IPAs during the sunny day time, as it gets later and I'm a little tipsier, I'll gladly drink their superior preimum generic lager. Whereas, without this option, I might drink cans back at the tent or not drink myself into oblivion at all. So Heniken could find a small craft beer outlet would be complementary to their offerings, and would get the unsavory, recalcitrant craft beer crowd off the fence and into the pub!

Yes that was great. And the queues, while not insignificant, were never as big as the ones for the main bars. Proving that most people don't like or care for them.

More importantly, however, is that Cute Hoor is made by Heineken. So they are making money either way. They also import/make Lagunitas, although personally I wouldn't be too keep for that to be sold at festivals (it's 6% rocketfuel)

Ahhhh! I have exercised the demons

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

The weekend gone is still more than 5 months away, the simple fact is that we don't know but evidence from other countries that have been dealing with it longer suggest it wont take as long. Japan are slowly starting to return to normality with small scale events albeit With strict entry controls.
    I meant the weekend just gone with everyone out and about like we're all on a holiday. I don't post often at all but always read. I wasn't at EP last year as needed a break but have been going since 2007. I only started listening to the playlist, and already excited. I am disappointed, but I wish they'd face facts and pull the plug instead of months of speculation.
    Sorry if I added to the xoom and gloom. It's the hope that kills you.

sassyj wrote: »
    It's the hope that kills you.

But it's the hope that sustains me!

Would love to see Squeeze at an Irish festival. They usually play Vicar Street every other year, but they play such joyful happy music that it would be ideally suited to a festival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLee4wervs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

@johnnyskeleton There was a Lagunitas bar there last year - roughly between J Fish and BnS. As well as Lagunitas cans at the bog cottage place out by Terminus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yes, let's do that.

The beer frontier a few years back was class, had Affligiem and a host type fella that really knew his beer, and a barbers, not that I needed a haircut.

@johnnyskeleton There was a Lagunitas bar there last year - roughly between J Fish and BnS. As well as Lagunitas cans at the bog cottage place out by Terminus

Yup, that was a saviour a few times, The Twelfth of never is a decent drop.

Would love if they got an Irish craft beer area there, maybe 3/4 different breweries a day get to take a spot.

I badly misjudged the Lagunitas on the Friday. It's not to be trifled with.

On the plus side, I have listened to the Lion and the Cobra and to Boy and Under a Blood Red Sky in their entirety today, for the first time in eons. Great stuff. And my son learned Ask by the Smiths on the guitar. It's the little things.

I badly misjudged the Lagunitas on the Friday. It's not to be trifled with.

I suppose the way to think about it is that if one beer is 5% and another is 4%, for every 4 beers your pals drink, you have had an extra beer's worth of alcohol.

Laga used to be 6% (I think it's now 5.5% in draft) and I think, though I can't get confirmation, that draft Heineken is 4.2%. So it's almost 50% more alcohol.

Your pal has had 2, you've had 3
    Your pal has had 4, you've had 6
    Your pal has had 6, you've had 9
    Your pal has had 8, you've found yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, but do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead

Also, I never know whether to emphasis the u sound or the i sound in Lagunitas. Lagoon-it-ass or Laga-knee-tass!

Probably more suitable to the ATN/FF threads, but First Aid Kit did a live gig from one of their apartments:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Great! So I understand that there is corporate advertising money etc to be gained by having a sponsor beer that owns all the bars and whatever they say goes. I also understand how much it costs to run a music festival.

But I still don't understand why they can't have one small local brewery that has an inconvenient bar and/or higher prices. That way, only the people who are really gagging for an IPA or the like will give them business, and so the big corporate sponsors are hardly put out.

Also, if I have a few inconvenient IPAs during the sunny day time, as it gets later and I'm a little tipsier, I'll gladly drink their superior preimum generic lager. Whereas, without this option, I might drink cans back at the tent or not drink myself into oblivion at all. So Heniken could find a small craft beer outlet would be complementary to their offerings, and would get the unsavory, recalcitrant craft beer crowd off the fence and into the pub!

Yes that was great. And the queues, while not insignificant, were never as big as the ones for the main bars. Proving that most people don't like or care for them.

More importantly, however, is that Cute Hoor is made by Heineken. So they are making money either way. They also import/make Lagunitas, although personally I wouldn't be too keep for that to be sold at festivals (it's 6% rocketfuel)

Ahhhh! I have exercised the demons

They'll not allow other craft manufacturers to sell IPA while they've Lagunitas on site. If I remember correctly there were two strengths of that on sale last year (maybe 5.5% and 5% but I could be way off). Great beer and happy to sup that all day.

The first few EPs had an independent craft beer stall and a local cider stall, both of which were pretty good. To be honest if EP goes ahead I'd be so relieved I'd even drink Budweiser all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The first few EPs had an independent craft beer stall and a local cider stall, both of which were pretty good. To be honest if EP goes ahead I'd be so relieved I'd even drink Budweiser all weekend.

Feck that, I'd rather stay sober

And the reusable hard plastic cups for €5! They were ahead of the anti-plastic curve, until they weren't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

And the reusable hard plastic cups for €5! They were ahead of the anti-plastic curve, until they weren't!

Until Festival Republic arrived...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The trad sessions at the cute hoor tent were great.
    I remember seeing a group of uilleann pipers from Sligo play there one year, mighty stuff.

The Lagunitas was grand last year, but at €7.20 a pint for one and €7.50 for the other one, you wouldn't be having too many of them.

I know it's a captive market, but it really is ridiculous at this stage.

The hard plastic cups they used to have were great, and they could easily bring them back if they wanted.

A craft beer / spirit area, even if was well out of the way would be unreal.
    It'd be a lovely way for EP to support local breweries / distilleries.
    There's Ballykilcavan in Stradbally, and 12 Acres are 15 mins away, both in Laois. O Haras in Carlow, White Gypsy in Tipp, Sullivans in Kilkenny.
    In terms of spirits
    There's Walsh Whiskey and Silver Spear gin in Carlow, and First spirits in Abbeyleix Laois. Ballykeffe in Kilkenny.

They absolutely could do this if they had the will, but I just don't think they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

The trad sessions at the cute hoor tent were great.
    I remember seeing a group of uilleann pipers from Sligo play there one year, mighty stuff.

The Lagunitas was grand last year, but at €7.20 a pint for one and €7.50 for the other one, you wouldn't be having too many of them.

I know it's a captive market, but it really is ridiculous at this stage.

The hard plastic cups they used to have were great, and they could easily bring them back if they wanted.

A craft beer / spirit area, even if was well out of the way would be unreal.
    It'd be a lovely way for EP to support local breweries / distilleries.
    There's Ballykilcavan in Stradbally, and 12 Acres are 15 mins away, both in Laois. O Haras in Carlow, White Gypsy in Tipp, Sullivans in Kilkenny.
    In terms of spirits
    There's Walsh Whiskey and Silver Spear gin in Carlow, and First spirits in Abbeyleix Laois. Ballykeffe in Kilkenny.

They absolutely could do this if they had the will, but I just don't think they want to.

I suspect Heineken have an "exclusive" aspect to their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Until Festival Republic arrived...

I don't believe that FR are at fault for stopping them. They pulled them one year mid-festival, apparently a contamination issue.

No excuse for not using them since. To not do so ruins any facade of green respectability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

god i wish for simpler times when i was giving out about Lewis bloody Capadli on the line up
    That was less than a month ago ffs!!!!!

I don't believe that FR are at fault for stopping them. They pulled them one year mid-festival, apparently a contamination issue.

No excuse for not using them since. To not do so ruins any facade of green respectability.

Likewise at ATN and B&S last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

I suspect Heineken have an "exclusive" aspect to their contract.

They do, lets not be fooled, its obvious Heineken were the most significant influencer on the extension of the Arena area, to include SD and other areas, more revenue for them, and for Festival Republic. But the brewer does put significant money into the festival as well.

I believe i spotted one or two independant micro breweries at EP 2019, but in tiny setups- making them totally insignificant, which would have all been dictated by Heineken.

Its a monopoly thats everwhere, Heineken products in all MCD venues & events, and rival Diageo products in all Aikens Venues & events. They have it all sown up.

Even in the pubs, they support certain pubs more,(price reductions and incentives and other supports - like fridges, glasses, smoking areas & awnings, and other equipment) by getting them to get rid of taps from the rival, or, have less of them. They get pubs to change product layouts, to highlight their products more, and make their products more visible to the punters. almost all big city pubs (apart from micro breweries)have a leaning one way or another, to either Diageo or Heineken- whoever coughs up more for the pub, wins.

One can usually tell in about 20seconds, after entering a pub, which supplier, is “well in” there. The main sign is, how many taps visible from each of the big two breweries. You will find its never an even split and it can be trickier to work out, as each one has brands, which are not always obviously associated with Diageo /Heineken.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52017834

Sad News.

I love the story about how Soul Makossa had a small run in the States, was picked up by David Mancuso and sampled and covered so many times and he [Dibango] was so chill that no one was really sure who wrote the original and he didn't challenge that or seek the fame.

Until a spat when Michael Jackson (who used "Mama see mama sa mama makossa" in you wanna be starting something) was threatening to sue Rianna or someone and Manu Dibango came out of the woodwork and said, "actually, you both ripped me off" and threatened to sue them both. Legend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWK_Josc0Og

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

David Gray concerts that were due to happen at the beginning of April have been moved to the end of March 2021

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    David Gray concerts that were due to happen at the beginning of April have been moved to the end of March 2021

Wrong thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement