Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Genghis wrote: »
    Could they not have turned the phone to landscape?!

I thought that too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

BadTurtle wrote: »
    He said that on the 11th. Schools were closed on the 12th. China and Italy were already overwhelmed with the virus by then. It was a stupid thing to say even then.

Oh I'm not defending the guy or anything but most had no idea how crazy it was going to get. Glastonbury lineup came out after this and shortly cancelled after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

BadTurtle wrote: »
    He said that on the 11th. Schools were closed on the 12th. China and Italy were already overwhelmed with the virus by then. It was a stupid thing to say even then.

It's an unknown and unprecedented pandemic. How could anyone know how it would escalate so much? As another poster said, hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

It's more a show of his ignorance which he continues to throw at us. Same thing regarding female headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

UK government last night saying that it will probably take 6 months to get back to normal life.

If this is the case, and it likely is, there will be no festivals this year.

Sad, but likely the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

UK government last night saying that it will probably take 6 months to get back to normal life.

March is 3rd month.

3 months plus 6 months = 9th month i.e. September!

We're looking good folks!

everlast75 wrote: »
    March is 3rd month.

3 months plus 6 months = 9th month i.e. September!

We're looking good folks!

blind optimism is what keeps us sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

endainoz wrote: »
    Oh I'm not defending the guy or anything but most had no idea how crazy it was going to get. Glastonbury lineup came out after this and shortly cancelled after.

I don't know all that much about Benn but am puzzled by the bile. Have never heard of the guy doing anything reprehensible and he seems pretty decent in interviews.

He may not schedule exactly what we want but is that it or are people just venting?

It's more a show of his ignorance which he continues to throw at us. Same thing regarding female headliners.

Last year we had Florence & the Machine, Christine & the Queens & Billie Eilish amongst the top six acts. This year's lineup is far from complete and if it goes ahead there'll be plenty of prominent female representation.

The UK trajectory is also very different to ours. Their death rate is 27 times what it is in the Republic and per capita wise the double of ours. That may all change of course if our borders don't close but we should come out of this far in advance of the UK.

That however means no touring acts so it's wall-to-wall Picture This for the three days.

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The UK trajectory is also very different to ours. Their death rate is 27 times what it is in the Republic and per capita wise the double of ours. That may all change of course if our borders don't close but we should come out of this far in advance of the UK.

That however means no touring acts so it's wall-to-wall Picture This for the three days.

The idea that Ireland will be out of this far ahead of the UK does not make sense to me. We have considerably more fragile health service than the UK. Our health system will probably be stressed in the next 2 weeks. We did move earlier to slow the virus in order to reduce the pressure on our health service resources and spread it over a longer period.

We are still in early days of all of this sadly and as much as I hope I am wrong, I just cannot see 55,000 people camping in a field come early September.

I am amazed that B&S have not announced cancelling yet. It is inevitiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

I just cannot see 55,000 people camping in a field come early September.

Neither can i, seeing as capacity is 70,000 since 2019 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There is zero chance of EP going ahead. Even if life begins to get back to normal, we'll be subject to some pretty serious social distancing. EP would basically be a giant biological weapon kicking off another epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

There is zero chance of EP going ahead. Even if life begins to get back to normal, we'll be subject to some pretty serious social distancing. EP would basically be a giant biological weapon kicking off another epidemic.

Ya, its definitely touch and go, i’d give it 65:35, in favour of not going ahead, which is why i was so surprised to see the Neighbourhood weekender moved from late May to first weekend in September - same dates as EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The idea that Ireland will be out of this far ahead of the UK does not make sense to me. We have considerably more fragile health service than the UK. Our health system will probably be stressed in the next 2 weeks. We did move earlier to slow the virus in order to reduce the pressure on our health service resources and spread it over a longer period.

We are still in early days of all of this sadly and as much as I hope I am wrong, I just cannot see 55,000 people camping in a field come early September.

For the EP to happen, we need open travel again, so I'd agree that our faith is tied to UK and further afield. USA is a real concern.

I'm clinging to the hope that if schools and 3rd level are back in Sep, then its highly likely EP will also go ahead. It would be ridiculous and pointless to have thousands of kids mixing in school and school buses and not allow other events.

fafy wrote: »

My bad ...

Ya, its definitely touch and go, i’d give it 65:35, in favour of not going ahead, which is why i was so surprised to see the Neighbourhood weekender moved from late May to first weekend in September - same dates as EP.

I will take those odds ... every penny I have on it not happening at 7/13.... easy money I would say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It's not even about travel restrictions being lifted here, or relaxed in Europe.
    The artists themselves might not want to travel depending on where they're coming from. They might even have issues in relation to insurance etc.

Gigs this summer are dead in the water, unless the whole Covid-19 thing magically completely disappears in the next 8 weeks, which it won't.

As the situation improves, more things will be opened up but it'll be on a gradual basis. Not a hope of a 70K festival going ahead imo.

If that's the case, next year at EP will be some craic..

I'd take an all Irish lineup if it meant EP would take place at all. Pretty sure all of us would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

I'd take an all Irish lineup if it meant EP would take place at all. Pretty sure all of us would.

it would surely be a sad day for this forum to see many of the posters here jumping up and down to The Coronas, Picture This & Gavin James.

showpony1 wrote: »
    it would surely be a sad day for this forum to see many of the posters here jumping up and down to The Coronas, Picture This & Gavin James.

Glad to say we have many more genres than pop in Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

showpony1 wrote: »

Or....

Murder Capital
    Fontaines DC
    Pillow Queens
    Dathai
    King Kong Company
    The Waterboys
    Sinead O Connor
    Ash
    etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Or....

Murder Capital
    Fontaines DC
    Pillow Queens
    Dathai
    King Kong Company
    The Waterboys
    Sinead O Connor
    Ash
    etc

i suppose someone has to go on before the big headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I will take those odds ... every penny I have on it not happening at 7/13.... easy money I would say.

Would Boylesports or Paddy Power quote on it?
    If someone has an account, would be interested to hear.
    It's still months away before they have to decide.

Or....

Murder Capital
    Fontaines DC
    Pillow Queens
    Dathai
    King Kong Company
    The Waterboys
    Sinead O Connor
    Ash
    etc

Great list there no doubt. This could be a fun game to pick an all Irish lineup.

I'd take all of the above and add:

Kneecap, Paul Brady, MBV, Therapy?, The Stunning, Christy Moore, Imelda may, Damien Dempsey, Moxie, The Bonny Men, The Scratch, Lisa Hannigan, Ships, Bitch Falcon, Boomtown Rats.

We have more than enough in this country to fill a great festival lineup. You also have the mainstream stuff like Hozier or Snow Patrol etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

We have more than enough in this country to fill a great festival lineup.

We might do but I'd wonder how much of the gear for EP is shipped in from the UK (Pink Moon and the other crews likely schlep their stuff festival to festival).

Even if they had the acts and the bodies willing to see them, the infrastructure may not be there.

Having dealt with both I'm not entirely sure that's true. The NHS has been shredded by cuts over the past decade. There are also more returning HSE staff here (40k minimum), the govt has effectively taken over the private hospitals, we have proportionately more testing equipment and PPE than the UK. Our planning has been far more advanced, consistent and capable than the UK. It will of course be bad, but the UK will be much worse as has already been shown, and I fear a second wave from there after we start to come out of it.

EP capacity was 57,500 in 2019. 70,000 planned for this September.

• Advertisement

Great list there no doubt. This could be a fun game to pick an all Irish lineup.

I'd take all of the above and add:

Kneecap, Paul Brady, MBV, Therapy?, The Stunning, Christy Moore, Imelda may, Damien Dempsey, Moxie, The Bonny Men, The Scratch, Lisa Hannigan, Ships, Bitch Falcon, Boomtown Rats.

We have more than enough in this country to fill a great festival lineup. You also have the mainstream stuff like Hozier or Snow Patrol etc

U2 -(they've visited the festival and may play someday)
    Van Morrison
    Freddie White
    Talos
    SOAK
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Roisin Murphy
    Horslips
    Clannad
    Daoiri Farrell
    Glen Hansard
    The Frames
    Aslan
    Girl Band
    Finbar Furey
    The Undertones
    Frank & Walters
    An Emotional Fish
    Sultans of Ping
    Kila
    Something Happens
    Mik Pyro
    Villagers
    Chieftans
    A House
    Moving Hearts
    etc, etc

It may not please the kids but we'd do alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement