Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Where have you seen that?

Got an email from them yesterday as I work with them occasionally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Got an email from them yesterday as I work with them occasionally

So, you're saying there's a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Edinburgh Festival & Fringe has been cancelled, It goes on for the whole month of August, and is a attended by a few milllion people, across thousands of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

fafy wrote: »
    Edinburgh Festival & Fringe has been cancelled, It goes on for the whole month of August, and is a attended by a few milllion people, across thousands of events.

A much more international affair than EP. The acts at EP are almost entirely from the US, the UK and Ireland with a smattering from France, Australia, Canada and a couple of others. The audience is almost entirely Irish residents.

Edinburgh has theatre, comedy, dance and musical artists from all over the planet. It also attracts visitors from worldwide.

That said it's still hard to see EP happening.. Even when we come out of it, for precautionary reasons I don't see any large scale events occurring this year, sport included.
    We're also dependent on the UK being sorted out and I can't see that happening for several months after the way they've botched their planning. As Scruff said there's the Pink Mon issue, FR staff plus security from the UK and artists of course.

Would love to be wrong. Would dearly love to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This was recorded a few thousand miles apart using our basic mics in our computers as part of our social isolation entertainment, my friend from Quebec in Canada and myself currently in Bandon with my sisters family in County Cork, I hope you like it. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another legend passed on today Bill Withers RIP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

This was recorded a few thousand miles apart using our basic mics in our computers as part of our social isolation entertainment, my friend from Quebec in Canada and myself currently in Bandon with my sisters family in County Cork, I hope you like it. :)

Hup! Lovely stuff!!

Could we do a Zoom EP?

Anything will do really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Another legend passed on today Bill Withers RIP.

Bodhrandude we thought we’d lost you!!

Aw lovely day reminds me of the Dublin gospel choir!

On the musical front two recent albums have impressed me quite a bit.

https://open.spotify.com/album/49pE8vF0RTSPHVqcoJXaCH?si=vrc0ZUq-TqeNtWM2dXq7CQ

The first is Check Shirt Wizard by Rory Gallagher. Recorded live during a tour in 1977. Rory was at the peak of his powers at this time I think. This album had everything, the foot tapping catchy ones to the acoustic section to the stripped back blues sound. I think it's overtaken Live in Europe as my favorite Gallagher album!

https://open.spotify.com/album/6PUf5UTDByAl3hU5fUB7ur?si=ZfIsU8NdTCiUKV9E_bfViQ

The second one is Hypernova by Jiggy. For those that don't know Jiggy are a crossover trad/electronic/experimental group. Somehow I missed this one when it was released in February but glad I found it now. This is a group that would fit in right well with a load of raver hippies in some corner of Body and Soul, I'd probably be right there with them.

Some will give an uneducated opinion on trad music in general saying it's all boring and nothing innovative is happening. All you need to do is look at acts like Aldoc, Moxie, Lisa Canny and indeed Jiggy to prove that point wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Jinx Lennon has a new album out too. I've only heard 3 songs off it but it sounds fecking great. Was Jinx on the list? Get him on the list. It's called 'Border schizo fffolk songs for the fuc**d'. He's knows the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

endainoz wrote: »

The first is Check Shirt Wizard by Rory Gallagher. Recorded live during a tour in 1977. Rory was at the peak of his powers at this time I think. This album had everything, the foot tapping catchy ones to the acoustic section to the stripped back blues sound. I think it's overtaken Live in Europe as my favorite Gallagher album!

https://open.spotify.com/album/6PUf5UTDByAl3hU5fUB7ur?si=ZfIsU8NdTCiUKV9E_bfViQ

The second one is Hypernova by Jiggy. For those that don't know Jiggy are a crossover trad/electronic/experimental group. Somehow I missed this one when it was released in February but glad I found it now. This is a group that would fit in right well with a load of raver hippies in some corner of Body and Soul, I'd probably be right there with them.

Some will give an uneducated opinion on trad music in general saying it's all boring and nothing innovative is happening. All you need to do is look at acts like Aldoc, Moxie, Lisa Canny and indeed Jiggy to prove that point wrong.

Listening to Jiggy now, different, i like it, thanks

Mr.S wrote: »
    Social distancing concerts could become a thing :pac:

Social distance moshing would be great for a lad like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The first is Check Shirt Wizard by Rory Gallagher. Recorded live during a tour in 1977. Rory was at the peak of his powers at this time I think. This album had everything, the foot tapping catchy ones to the acoustic section to the stripped back blues sound. I think it's overtaken Live in Europe as my favorite Gallagher album! .

Stupid question time - whats the E.P.link with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

There’s no way lockdown will continue for that long.....but there will no way be any social gatherings of ep size even in September

Obviously I’d love to be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

according to experts, outdoor gatherings are much lower risk of transmission than confined indoor spaces like restaurants/pubs/offices/public transport, but the optics of having 70k people in a field for a glorified piss-up isn't great, so I can definitely see them not lifting the large gathering restrictions by then. I'd assume several of EP acts will have cancelled their summer tours long before that anyway though, especially acts from the US...

It’s mad, if someone said to me even a month ago I wouldn’t be going to a single gig this year, never mind ep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Stupid question time - whats the E.P.link with this?

Rory Gallagher hologram for the second announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher hologram for the second announcement.

Assuming we get to one. Thinking it might be close to the time to copy pasta the first post and ready a 2021 thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Assuming we get to one. Thinking it might be close to the time to copy pasta the first post and ready a 2021 thread.

how about sleeps until / sleeps until +365(ish) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There are too many sleeps till then

https://www.podbean.com/ea/dir-7i5q3-883be94

I shared this in the body and soul thread but a very good listen for anyone interested. Interview with Avril Stanley who runs the festival.

She's asked whether she thinks it'll go ahead and she seems hopeful but admits that it's not in her hands and is in the dark as much as we are.

Interesting part about how much it actually costs to run body and soul and it came in at 2.5 million.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I shared this in the body and soul thread but a very good listen for anyone interested. Interview with Avril Stanley who runs the festival.

She's asked whether she thinks it'll go ahead and she seems hopeful but admits that it's not in her hands and is in the dark as much as we are.

Interesting part about how much it actually costs to run body and soul and it came in at 2.5 million.

EP costs 10m and makes 11m each year!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paddy2012

That was really interesting, the Irish Music Industry podcast is probably the best music business related podcast out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

EP costs 10m and makes 11m each year!

Makes a clean 11M after all costs? What year out of curiosity?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Makes a clean 11M after all costs? What year out of curiosity?

Costs 10. Makes 11. Profit 1m. Approximately. It can vary a lot e.g. this is the 2018 figure (for the 2017 festival I think), previously their profits were more modest.

It must be assumed that with the increase to 70,000 their income, expenses and profits will all rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Costs 10. Makes 11. Profit 1m. Approximately. It can vary a lot e.g. this is the 2018 figure (for the 2017 festival I think), previously their profits were more modest.

It must be assumed that with the increase to 70,000 their income, expenses and profits will all rise.

I wouldn't trust those figures entirely. That is only the Irish company and not the reported profit to Live Nation in the UK too.

EP makes a fair bit more than that 1.5 mil quoted there

Desmond and LN are smooth operators

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I wouldn't trust those figures entirely. That is only the Irish company and not the reported profit to Live Nation in the UK too.

I'd be surprised if €1 million was all they were making taking everything into account.
    Sponsorship, stalls, shops fees etc.
    Some staff costs ain't massive as the volunteers get free tickets in.
    Tickets sales around €8/9 million.
    Band costs would be big and then security, medical, insurance, set up and take down costs all adds up but would be surprised if €1 million was all they could make from it.
    In the old days of high interest rates, the extra income the promoters got on the pre-sale of tickets was a lot.
    Nowadays it just reduces any funding costs they would have.

• Advertisement

Possibly. I mean, for example, they could have smaller service providers that take a large profit, thus reducing the headline profit on the parent company e.g. a brass plate company that notionally hires the security and is paid an excess over that.

But that assumes that they want to minimise their ostensible earnings. IMO, and I accept I could well be wrong, there is a premium to be seen to be successful in the entertainment industry.

In any event, a back of the envelope calculation they would have ticket revenue of 8-9m (55,000 capacity, tickets sell mostly for 210, but less VAT thats 165. They also give out lots of courtesy tickets, volunteer tickets, artist tickets, local tickets etc, tour de picnic and they sell a few tickets at the loyalty rate so 55,000 capacity isn't necessarily 55,000 ticket sales).

Then they have income from advertisers, food stalls and bars. Getting c. 3m from these seems like a reasonable amount to my uninformed eyes, but I accept that it could be more.

In any event, my point is not to dispute the figures or get into the rights and wrongs of it, merely to show the comparison between Body and Soul costing 2.5m and EP costing 10m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement