Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I've liked both of your duplicate post ;);) I'll naively take anything positive at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

this bit hurts my eyes:
    acts due to perform on the first weekend of September at Stradbally, Co Laois include The Chemical Brothers, Lewis Capaldi, Picture This and Snow Patrol.

That reads some other festival that I am not bothered going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sorry, but I would be very very suprised if it goes ahead.
    If we are to extend lockdown for an extra fortnight, then that would put the lockdown to end around 28th April ish.
    Given that we are being told that it will still be another 3-4 months after that before numbers start to fall enough before we can start consider getting things back to 'normal' that would be around the end of July - end of August.
    I think only Trump would be crazy enough to let 70,000 gather en masse at that time.
    Given that we currently have more infected per head than the UK, and we haven't tested nearly enough for an accurate reading, this will likely be still an issue well after 4th - 6th of September, and into the start of flu season when we would be expected to be even more careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Suckit wrote: »
    If we are to extend lockdown for an extra fortnight, then that would put the lockdown to end around 28th April ish.
    Given that we are being told that it will still be another 3-4 months after that before numbers start to fall enough before we can start consider getting things back to 'normal' that would be around the end of July - end of August.
    I think only Trump would be crazy enough to let 70,000 gather en masse at that time.
    Given that we currently have more infected per head than the UK, and we haven't tested nearly enough for an accurate reading, this will likely be still an issue well after 4th - 6th of September, and into the start of flu season when we would be expected to be even more careful.

Theres a good logic there, but that means all major sporting events are also gone until October ish, and many other large scale events like the Ploughing Championship- currently scheduled mid September, which is one of the largest outdoor events in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

fafy wrote: »
    Theres a good logic there, but that means all major sporting events are also gone until October ish, and many other large scale events like the Ploughing Championship- currently scheduled mid September, which is one of the largest outdoor events in Europe.

I think the peak will hit Europe in the next couple of weeks or so. America may take longer, but it really depends on how long it takes to decline from the point of the peak.

fafy wrote: »
    Ploughing Championship is doubtful last I read.

Sports may take place behind closed doors.

I think it might come to a point where the government may have to choose one or the other, but large gatherings would stifle any potential chance we have of going forward until it is controllable.

I think most businesses may be able to go back to normal but concerts, sporting events/stadium events may have to be suspended with some sort of scheme implemented to help them out for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

okidoki987 wrote: »

Promoter trying to promote stuff shocker...

They'll keep saying it's going ahead right up to the point that they're told by the authorities to cancel it.

• Advertisement

Promoter trying to promote stuff shocker...

They'll keep saying it's going ahead right up to the point that they're told by the authorities to cancel it.
    At a guess, until they can come up with some sort of way to avoid paying out refunds as much as possible.
    Ticket holders automatically can renew them for EP 2021 or some other event etc..
    The sooner that they admit it's not going ahead, the more refunds they would have to give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I suspect there's more than that, i think they need to be told not to go ahead for what ever insurance they have to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I noticed that several European festivals and gigs have been rescheduled back to around the time of electric picnic, e.g. both primaveras, several underworld gigs. I wouldn't be giving up on it yet. If the numbers are consistently low you never know.

Hopefully we're all eating kinara in the Stradbally sun come September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Radiohead posted on instagram, they are showing gigs from tmw, first up is punchestown 2000, get the cans warm, we can pretend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I noticed that several European festivals and gigs have been rescheduled back to around the time of electric picnic, e.g. both primaveras, several underworld gigs. I wouldn't be giving up on it yet. If the numbers are consistently low you never know.

Hopefully we're all eating kinara in the Stradbally sun come September.

Oh jaysus, I can taste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Suckit wrote: »

Not a hope in hell that we have more infected than the UK. Their testing is less than half of ours per capita and their death rate is more than double ours per capita.

We'll be out of it long before the UK and they're likely to have the worst death total in Europe the way it's progressing (forecast 66,000+ as opposed to 401 for Ireland).

Our issue will be with our links with the UK and the fear of a second wave could be the death knell for EP 2020.

If it does go ahead, I doubt Pink moon and all the other glamping providers probably won't be there so that would be a big issue. Not insurmountable as those sites could be used for general camping.

endainoz wrote: »
    I think the peak will hit Europe in the next couple of weeks or so. America may take longer, but it really depends on how long it takes to decline from the point of the peak.

Varies from nation to nation. The current reporting is that we're a few days past our peak while the UK is April 17.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Varies from nation to nation. The current reporting is that we're a few days past our peak while the UK is April 17.

Don't know how anyone can say we're a few days past our peak when we had the highest death totals yesterday, I hope to Odin you're right and we're upside down at The Salty dog in September.

Poorside wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone can say we're a few days past our peak when we had the highest death totals yesterday, I hope to Odin you're right and we're upside down at The Salty dog in September.

It's a US model reported by the Irish Times. The rate of infections and deaths are expected to fall daily (with possible blips) from now on. The govt and chief medical officer are downplaying this to avoid any relaxation of people's behaviour but the figures seem to bear it out. The expected rate of increase of infections simply hasn't happened and the ICUs never reached capacity (albeit down to the takeover of private hospitals).

As with everything on this it remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

It's a US model reported by the Irish Times. The rate of infections and deaths are expected to fall daily (with possible blips) from now on. The govt and chief medical officer are downplaying this to avoid any relaxation of people's behaviour but the figures seem to bear it out. The expected rate of increase of infections simply hasn't happened and the ICUs never reached capacity (albeit down to the takeover of private hospitals).

As with everything on this it remains to be seen.

People certainly relaxed today, I was Manning the door at work today and couldn't believe the amount of people that just wanted a look around, there's a lot of idiots out there.

Not a hope in hell that we have more infected than the UK. Their testing is less than half of ours per capita and their death rate is more than double ours per capita.

We'll be out of it long before the UK and they're likely to have the worst death total in Europe the way it's progressing (forecast 66,000+ as opposed to 401 for Ireland).

Our issue will be with our links with the UK and the fear of a second wave could be the death knell for EP 2020.
    No, we don't have more infected than the UK, we have more infected per million.
    I agree though, If the UK links create a second wave we can say goodbye to 2020 altogether.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-us-model-ireland-peak-passed-5069341-Apr2020/
    'It simply isn't true': Health officials dismiss US report which says Ireland is past Covid-19 peak

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

Just throwing it out there would EP think about delaying the festival until October if it came to it?

Could still work, we still would get some decent weather during the day but the nights would be that bit more chiller.

Also with Coachella being on during October it would seem likely artists would be more open to the idea of travelling for festivals, no?

Just throwing it out there would EP think about delaying the festival until October if it came to it?

Could still work, we still would get some decent weather during the day but the nights would be that bit more chiller.

Also with Coachella being on during October it would seem likely artists would be more open to the idea of travelling for festivals, no?

Christ it would be freezing, and the weather would more than likely be shïte, miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

Would definitely have to wrap up more at the nighttime but I’m not too sure would it be much wetter compared to September?

My memory doesn’t serve me too well to remember the last few October’s but I don’t recall it being totally ****e, must try look up weather forecasts from the last few years.

If it did come to it I would gladly freeze the bollix of myself or get soaked to even get a chance of a festival and not wait until September 2021.
    Christ it would be freezing, and the weather would more than likely be shïte, miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

So same as the summer then! ;)

I am hoping this goes ahead, but I can't see it. Everything I am reading just leads to not a chance.
    The fact that the capacity has risen to 70,000 will almost definitely go against them on top of it, as it is a long weekend as opposed to just one night in a stadium.
    A 2nd wave of this is something that nobody is willing to risk for anything, especially not at that time of year, and after just bringing it under control (hopefully it will be under control by then).
    Even without considering a 2nd wave, I would imagine that would be far too close to 'things returning to normal' to be given the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'd take that over it not happening at all, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not a hope in hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

I cant see it happening, if the Festival Republic\MCD were to cancel now they would probably loose a fortune because the government has not put on any restrictions for events that far in the future. If they wait and cancel after restrictions are put in place then that would probably be much better for the organizers.
    Finally, even if it was allowed by the government chances are that the headline acts will not be travelling. RATM have already cancelled their US tour, I cant see them touring Europe this summer for a few gigs. The larger acts would probably cancel European tours and look at next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement