Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Me neither unfortunately. Social distancing and hand hygiene will be hear for while to come. Neither things easily done at a festival. Cant see a mass gathering of 70,000 being allowed by September unfortunately. Think festivals that can will cancel and go with same line up for next year. Easier for organisers and bands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

No treatment, no EP, I'd say. And none of that stuff will be rolled out by then. They're talking antibody tests, immunity passports etc. I can't see us being in a position to go ahead by the end of August.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Stillill42 wrote: »
    No treatment, no EP, I'd say. And none of that stuff will be rolled out by then. They're talking antibody tests, immunity passports etc. I can't see us being in a position to go ahead by the end of August.

Poll Idea: If you could have either a treatment for Covid-19, or you could have EP 2020, but you can't have both, which would you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

For myself or humanity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Poll Idea: If you could have either a treatment for Covid-19, or you could have EP 2020, but you can't have both, which would you choose?
    Or if you could contract Covid-19, unsure of which strain you will get, but will survive, would you take it for EP2020?

I just found out a friends family all had it, coming out the other side now, apparently all good. My sisters family also had it, they are okay (she did the shopping for my mother today). So it is possible to get a very light strain.. (And the obvious horrible strain).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

sydthebeat wrote: »

That was, if I may be allowed something of a poetic licence, the most expensive gig ever in Ireland at the time, because Radiohead were extremely popular, the celtic tiger was getting going, and they were doing a thing where there were no sponsers, branded bars or advertising associated with the gig, so they had to charge more.

It was an eye watering £32.50.

Allowing for euro conversion and inflation (rough estimate), that was about €50-55 for a ticket.

Seems like postiviely good value in retrospect, seeing as they charged €90 odd at the 3 arena 2 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

That was, if I may be allowed something of a poetic licence, the most expensive gig ever in Ireland at the time, because Radiohead were extremely popular, the celtic tiger was getting going, and they were doing a thing where there were no sponsers, branded bars or advertising associated with the gig, so they had to charge more.

Allowing for euro conversion and inflation (rough estimate), that was about €50-55 for a ticket.

Seems like postiviely good value in retrospect, seeing as they charged €90 odd at the 3 arena 2 years ago!

Wasn't it closer to 110/120

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Suckit wrote: »
    No, we don't have more infected than the UK, we have more infected per million.
    I agree though, If the UK links create a second wave we can say goodbye to 2020 altogether.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-us-model-ireland-peak-passed-5069341-Apr2020/

Hence the per capita figures I gave.

And again, as per my previous post the CMO is downplaying this, particularly in advance of the Easter weekend. Any relaxation of the regime causes problems and they now refer to the worry about a second wave this month to ensure that people behave. The lack of an increase in the infection rate and other figures seem to concur with the US assessment. The next week will tell.

my first and only radiohead gig.... and i still remember it as one of the loudest gigs i was ever at.... (also up there was prodigy in the point in '09, and steven wilson in the olympia in '18)

they were on top of their game that night !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I was there. Drank far too much and don't remember much of the gig unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I was not there but tonight I shall be drinking far too much and forgetting about this gig in favour of rocket league.

my first and only radiohead gig.... and i still remember it as one of the loudest gigs i was ever at.... (also up there was prodigy in the point in '09, and steven wilson in the olympia in '18)

they were on top of their game that night !

It was just after they figured out how to turn amplifiers up to 11, and just before the nanny state made such technology illegal.

Have they not included for summer time?

Says starting at 9pm, but in 60mins time.... Balls.... May drink more then

Kicking off now

Kicking off now

They've cut off the first three tracks (Optimistic, Morning Bell & Lucky) going by Setlist.fm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Kicking off now

Watching it through my Sky box, quality isn't great but it'll do.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    They've cut off the first three tracks (Optimistic, Morning Bell & Lucky) going by Setlist.fm

They played 2, or possibly 3 nights, so might have been different sets:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2000/punchestown-racecourse-naas-ireland-53d6ef69.html

Poorside wrote: »

Probably due to reduced bandwith during the contagion. I think YouTube agreed to lower their quality alongside Netflix and others.

Poorside wrote: »

Yeah, they certainly didn't record in HD :D

the sound quality is good though

• Advertisement

They played 2, or possibly 3 nights, so might have been different sets:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2000/punchestown-racecourse-naas-ireland-53d6ef69.html

Yep, you're right. Seems they started with the National anthem on two of the three nights.

How to Disappear Completely on now and that was mid-set on all three nights.

I should just sit back, relax and watch the bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yeah, they certainly didn't record in HD :D

the sound quality is good though

Yeah sound is decent.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Yep, you're right. Seems they started with the National anthem on two of the three nights.

How to Disappear Completely on now and that was mid-set on all three nights.

I should just sit back, relax and watch the bloody thing.

Or get up and awkwardly dance around your kitchen!

Idioteque sounds astonishing.

As it always does I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The picture is **** (I mean like was 2000 really this bad) but sound is magic! Listening with headphones and GIN.

Yoke is a sound pioneer, he was experimenting with binaural mics well before any current day youtuber. Some real memories!! I'm in my element.

A mates brothers, sisters dog told me Benn booked them 2020

Fatfrog wrote: »
    The picture is **** (I mean like was 2000 really this bad) but sound is magic! Listening with headphones and GIN.

Yoke is a sound pioneer, he was experimenting with binaural mics well before any current day youtuber. Some real memories!! I'm in my element.

A mates brothers, sisters dog told me Benn booked them 2020

Yeah the visual recording seems real amateur stuff, but the soundboard record is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

That was, if I may be allowed something of a poetic licence, the most expensive gig ever in Ireland at the time...

That price was unusual, but not totally unique at the time, and it wasn't the most expensive. Smashing Pumpkins in the Olympia a month later was also £32.50.
    Seats for Lou Reed in the Olympia in September were £37.50. Bob Dylan in Vicar Street - the hottest ticket in the land at the time - was also £37.50.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Even if this year does go ahead - which I really hope is the case - it's hard to see it going ahead without major changes to the lineup at a minimum. Getting everything back on track after all this will be a massive global challenge and there are so many variables regarding travel and transport and the rescheduling of other events etc that the whole lineup may need to be revised.

One example is Rage Against the Machine who have to reschedule the 20+ gigs up to the 20th of May which they've already postponed and they could well have to cancel more depending on the situation in the US.

Are we really going to get the go ahead for 70,000 people to spend the weekend mixing together?

One positive I guess is we might see more facilities for handwashing with soap and hot water and more than one place to get a shower.

I'll remain hopeful we get to be there in September and I might buy one of these in the meantime anyway - http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop/big-huge-bag-of-cans-tote

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    One positive I guess is we might see more facilities for handwashing with soap and hot water and more than one place to get a shower.

I'll remain hopeful we get to be there in September and I might buy one of these in the meantime anyway - http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop/big-huge-bag-of-cans-tote

As a concession to the global pandemic of epic and uncharted proportions, I have started washing my hands at least once a week.

But I draw the line at showering at a music festival

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement