Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is there a possibility it could be held a month later so around the End of September

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Is there a possibility it could be held a month later so around the End of September

I was concerned about this year being a week later than normal, those few weeks make a drastic difference to the night temperatures. We'd die of cold not Corona. Too much of a health risk id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Plush289

Assuming it does get cancelled do you think the second wave of acts will ever see the light of day? Maybe best left up to the imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

nc6000 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to feel regarding refunds for things like EP as I've already paid for our tickets so the money has been spent. If they have to cancel and refund everyone then does that leave them in a position where they are able to keep going and organise one for next year? I don't know.

Is it best to accept a ticket exchange for next year in lieu of a refund should we see it cancelled?

I'm aware this mightn't suit everyone else with tickets bought for this year.

I'm with you on that. I'd be happy to defer my ticket until next year. FR keep the cash and they can start booking for 2021.
    But if you're a bit cash-strapped you have a legal entitlement to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Plush289 wrote: »
    Assuming it does get cancelled do you think the second wave of acts will ever see the light of day? Maybe best left up to the imagination

If your going by the assumption of cancellation then the second wave will not be revealed as the bigger acts get a portion of their fee after being announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

well. that's put a right damper on my birthday orgy...

(and by orgy I mean just me, even my hands are social distancing)

Organised a threesome last night, couple of no shows but I enjoyed myself!! :)

I was concerned about this year being a week later than normal, those few weeks make a drastic difference to the night temperatures. We'd die of cold not Corona. Too much of a health risk id imagine

I'm with you on that one, generally quite lucky with temps. We've all been there, 1-2 weeks after the EP you realise how cold it can get, not just night but during the day also, I mean like how will I wear hot pants and a short top!!

To me the message is very much everything cancelled until a vaccine is available, so I dont think 1 week will make any difference for a 70K capacity event. I think they'll need to make provision for cafes, restaurants, small bars+ schools, so the number on gatherings will likely be <50 by September.

The only way EP will go ahead in my view is if some sort of stop gap solution becomes available in the short term.
    Transplanting blood plasma to the vulnerable looks like it could be a viable option.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/blood-plasma-from-covid-19-survivors-improved-symptoms-of-severely-ill-patients-992678.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Plush289 wrote: »

Do not want, it's the ultimate lap dance, get to see all but cannot touch.

best not knowing.

Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    1-2 weeks after the EP you realise how cold it can get, not just night but during the day also, I mean like how will I wear hot pants and a short top!!

I'm right hairy so it wouldn't bother me but I'd imagine the female contingent would have issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They'll cancel and tickets will carry over like glasto have done. EP are in a good position, its a profitable venture for many years now with big demand. Hopefully they can sort out a decent lineup for next year. That poster was a disgrace.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

MadYaker wrote: »
    They'll cancel and tickets will carry over like glasto have done. EP are in a good position, its a profitable venture for many years now with big demand.

That's my fervent hope, i have zero ****ing interest in doing the "will i get a code bollocks" again this year.

Knowing my luck though, they'll book one of my favs who will then promptly drop dead with a bout of rabid covid of the cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Not quite a full cancellation confirmation but almost from Simon Harris on his daily twitter update today.

Answered a direct EP question and said very unlikely we’ll see mass gathering of that kind for some time.

Nothing we didn’t really know already but I suppose it’s time to start accepting the inevitable.

https://twitter.com/simonharristd/status/1251585830562529281?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's at 9:10 for anyone wondering, although the whole thing is worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Snarky Snark Snark

Gentlemen & Ladies. i fear we're looking at 502 sleeps before our return to the elysian fields of Stradbally.

I'm going to step outside now for a walk, I may be gone some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

What's to stop them moving it to late May, early June next year?
    Might be a help to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

sweetie wrote: »
    What's to stop them moving it to late May, early June next year?
    Might be a help to us!
    I'd guess (especially after this year) there will be a lot of full calendars next year. Keeping the year as close to a carbon copy of this year would probably suit most artists and organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Suckit wrote: »
    I'd guess (especially after this year) there will be a lot of full calendars next year. Keeping the year as close to a carbon copy of this year would probably suit most artists and organisers.

The only problem with that is, it reduces the choice for promoters to have any new shows on during next year.
    Looking like next year is going to be one of the busiest for all the concerts/gigs/shows/musicals etc that are going to be on in the country
    especially if it's later in the year before they all get up and running again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Suckit wrote: »

Id almost say the opposite. Festivals etc need to be planned a year in advance, large gigs for touring international artists at least 4-6. I dont know the ins and outs of it, but the planning etc costs money whether its staff costs, flights etc. Maybe people will cancel now for no charge or claim on the insurance, but if they organise now and it cant go ahead next year they will take a hit.

At the moment, the only reason why festival organisers are trying to proceed is because theyve already incurred huge expenses. If they could get back all their money and pay their staff costs id say theyd all cancel tomorrow. Which is also why they would be reluctant to commit anything to next year if they arent sure.

So id say unless there is a guarantee that next year will be fine, its not worth the risk of booking things.

Then theres the fact that if we have a year of 550k extra people out of work, possibly disproportionately hitting younger people, the demand for gigs is reduced further still.

Id almost say the opposite. Festivals etc need to be planned a year in advance, large gigs for touring international artists at least 4-6. I dont know the ins and outs of it, but the planning etc costs money whether its staff costs, flights etc. Maybe people will cancel now for no charge or claim on the insurance, but if they organise now and it cant go ahead next year they will take a hit.

At the moment, the only reason why festival organisers are trying to proceed is because theyve already incurred huge expenses. If they could get back all their money and pay their staff costs id say theyd all cancel tomorrow. Which is also why they would be reluctant to commit anything to next year if they arent sure.

So id say unless there is a guarantee that next year will be fine, its not worth the risk of booking things.

Then theres the fact that if we have a year of 550k extra people out of work, possibly disproportionately hitting younger people, the demand for gigs is reduced further still.

I'd agree with you, we're going to be in different times post CV19, as well as the going public out of work, think about all the companies that are in the entertainment industry and have millions worth of equipment sitting around for what is looking like 12 months, light, sound, tents, stages, etc somewhere theres a lad sitting with 30,000 portaloos and 15km of fencing!
    How many of those companies will survive and for the ones that do, will they charge more for their services?
    Also transport has taken a big hit large number of airlines have or will go bust, making things much harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

**** it - make it a 6 day festival next September - double up the tickets.

You've over a year to build up your stamina. No whinging out after the first 3 days, ya hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭desk tidy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

everlast75 wrote: »
    **** it - make it a 6 day festival next September - double up the tickets.

You've over a year to build up your stamina. No whinging out after the first 3 days, ya hear?

Copy Coachella and do it over 2 weekends ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Rfrip wrote: »
    in fairness though we have a bigger problem if we are still worring about the corona virus come Sept

How wrong was I?!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

I'd say this year is a write off for everything. Sport,festivals,pubs,holidays etc. Life as we know it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Leinster Express with a beautiful piece of click bait craft ("Disappointment as huge Laois Festival Cancelled") playing on a festival goers anxiety. (Don't worry, it's not EP ... Yet).

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/coronavirus/536225/disappointment-as-huge-laois-festival-cancelled.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would imagine you are most likely right. I just meant that apart from the concerts unaffected by covid-19 the rescheduled ones may just move forward a year.. Or may be better off to, and move their tours forward a year.
    I don't see the reason for most of them to rush into a schedule in January or Feb etc.. just because the restrictions may be relaxed.

Hopefully there will be a vaccine sooner than later, but if it takes a year, then some may be forced to move forward a year anyway (weekends taken into account).

Anyway, I'm just guessing. I have no idea how they'll play it, and some countries may have made more progress and be more relaxed than us, which may allow some tours to go ahead without Ireland, but so far I think we are in a pretty good position all things considered, the HSE are doing a fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

All mass gatherings in State set to be banned until August

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-all-mass-gatherings-in-state-set-to-be-banned-until-august-1.4234326

So your'e saying there is a chance....

(There is not a chance)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

guys, stop torturing yourselves, this WONT be going ahead

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All mass gatherings in State set to be banned until August

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-all-mass-gatherings-in-state-set-to-be-banned-until-august-1.4234326

So your'e saying there is a chance....

(There is not a chance)

coming out now that its till the end of september :mad: :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement