Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

They will have to pull it. Its not like they start sitting down in August to plan it. Line up needs confirmed,food vendors, volunteers, deposits for acts etc. To much planning and work to to to be told the week before ,sorry lads,we're extending the restrictions for another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Has to be off. Not a chance 5000 festival couldn't take place a few days earlier but a 70,000 festival could. Festivals hardly the most hygienic place to begin with either so dont think its realistic at all that it would go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

How are you supposed to social distance in The Haunt? Or that little rave place just past Hazelwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭endainoz

Eod100 wrote: »
    Has to be off. Not a chance 5000 festival couldn't take place a few days earlier but a 70,000 festival could. Festivals hardly the most hygienic place to begin with either so dont think its realistic at all that it would go ahead

Your post makes very little sense to be fair. You do understand vthe concept of gradual lifting of restrictions?

With all that said, I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

endainoz wrote: »
    Your post makes very little sense to be fair. You do understand vthe concept of gradual lifting of restrictions?

The restrictions on events over 5,000 are up to end of August. What's there not to get? Do you see a 70,000 festival being able to take a few days later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Poorside wrote: »
    How are you supposed to social distance in The Haunt? Or that little rave place just past Hazelwood?

Well they do keep telling us to use alcohol to kill the virus :cool:

blackwhite wrote: »

And in fairness it must be true, having a few beers most evenings and I haven't caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

First time I have seen them admitting it mightn't go ahead.
    If it was possible to bet on, I would throw everthing I own on it not going ahead.
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/chances-electric-picnic-happening-year-not-good-mcd-boss-says-1004320

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/electric-picnic/536679/breaking-electric-picnic-doubt-after-new-government-decision-on-gatherings.html

Even if it got the go ahead, it would only have about 10 acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any John Creedon fans here, he's playing some excellent stuff on his radio show tonight.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Seriously its not happening!

But can you imagine if for some bizarre reason it actually did go ahead, how much of a ****ing party would we have, epic scenes not seen since the collapse of the Berlin wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »

But can you imagine if for some bizarre reason it actually did go ahead, how much of a ****ing party would we have, epic scenes not seen since the collapse of the Berlin wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about we declare each of the small areas a different event?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Fatfrog wrote: »

Was thinking about that the other day if things miraculously cleared up in time to get the site built the ENTIRE country would jump the fence..busloads of Grandparents joyously lobbing their grandkids over one after another..Previously furloughed RTE news correspondent Ryan Tubridy reporting from the frontline..

It would resemble the anarchy of Woodstock 99..by Sunday the Government, the Gardai and the Clergy would be raving it up down the front encouraging the masses to party like its 1999..

But the Masked masses would have done just that for the previous 2 days and be praying for a David Attenborough at Glastonbury type figure to appear and chill on the grass with the family and friends..

Out of the dry ice walks Mary Lou onto the Main Stage to an explosion of noise not heard since Niamh Kavanagh won Eurovision..Leo bows down to our new leader..places a crown of White Doves on her head and reluctantly stagedives back into the front row..the crowd goes WILD!!

Ahhh just one problem..then were all back to School, College, Jobseeking and the Civil Service Monday Morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

showpony1 wrote: »
    People suggesting EP or slightly below 5k capacity June/July gigs may still go ahead are more likely to be suffering from Headinthesanditis than Covid-19.

Unlikely to happen but Galway Arts Fest is two thirds of the figure the govt gave and half the headliners are traditionally Irish acts so losing out on overseas acts is less of an issue.

The fest is three months away and the tent only goes up the week before. There's also less of the logistics hassle of major camping weekend festivals. There's plenty of space in Iveagh Gardens also for people not to be on top of each other though 2 metres is clearly not possible. All will be clearer in a month or two.

not quite

Nope. Festival Republic run both EP and Kaleidoscope.

blackwhite wrote: »

John Daly swears that Belvedere vodka works so who am I to doubt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Unlikely to happen but Galway Arts Fest is two thirds of the figure the govt gave and half the headliners are traditionally Irish acts so losing out on overseas acts is less of an issue.

That sounds like something to hold out hope for!
    Orbitals tent was like a mini EP for us last year.
    Maybe Jon Hopkins would do the trick.
    Or better yet, Bicep are probably free...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Any John Creedon fans here, he's playing some excellent stuff on his radio show tonight.

He does so most nights, from humble beginnings it's turned into a gem of a show over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

I read on social media some smaller dance festival in Tullamore called Yurt City is still basically saying they will be going ahead as they've less that 5,000 capacity. Very optimistic considering there isn't any sign of a bar opening in the country. I'm sure they have acts travelling to consider also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I read on social media some smaller dance festival in Tullamore called Yurt City is still basically saying they will be going ahead as they've less that 5,000 capacity. Very optimistic considering there isn't any sign of a bar opening in the country. I'm sure they have acts travelling to consider also.

Sounds like something from the hardy bucks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Fuinnemh festival in Galway are saying the same thing. I messaged them on FB and they say they are ploughing ahead, they already have the license and if they do have to cancel tickets will carry over to next year so I think I'm going to buy one. If by some miracle they do pull it off this year it'll be some party.

But I just don't see how any festivals can happen with social distancing here to stay. I know transmission isn't as easy in outdoor environments but festivals are still hotbeds of infection. Loads of people get the flu after glasto every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

endainoz wrote: »

Allowing an event with 70k people a few days after an event with 5k people is not allowed is not a gradual lifting of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭endainoz

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Allowing an event with 70k people a few days after an event with 5k people is not allowed is not a gradual lifting of restrictions

*5k or more. This number is to do with licencing from county councils. Events under 5k don't need a license from a county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I know it's not a surprise but my friends Dad works on marketing for MCD and they were told EP is off. But waiting for gov recommendation for insurance reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I know it's not a surprise but my friends Dad works on marketing for MCD and they were told EP is off. But waiting for gov recommendation for insurance reasons

It's not a surprise but it is some kick in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

We should all meet up and drink some cans in a field, reminiscing of best performances.

Then we can stroll off to find some teenagers to kick...

everlast75 wrote: »
    We should all meet up and drink some cans in a field, reminiscing of best performances.

Then we can stroll off to find some teenagers to kick...

I like this plan, no reason we can't meet at the Salty dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Don’t want to be giving bad news but

Ivan Yates said earlier someone told him EP would NOT go ahead this year.

Didn’t catch the name he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Time to leave the thread until 2021

Stay safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don’t want to be giving bad news but

Ivan Yates said earlier someone told him EP would NOT go ahead this year.

Didn’t catch the name he said.

Are there actually people out there who think this is still gong ahead?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement