Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

showpony1 wrote: »
    I read on social media some smaller dance festival in Tullamore called Yurt City is still basically saying they will be going ahead as they've less that 5,000 capacity. Very optimistic considering there isn't any sign of a bar opening in the country. I'm sure they have acts travelling to consider also.
    The venue where Yurt City is supposed to be held have announced that they're not hosting any festival this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Alkers wrote: »
    The venue where Yurt City is supposed to be held have announced that they're not hosting any festival this summer.

Don't know what has gone on there, Charleville Castle posted on their facebook page at like 2 in the morning saying that all events in 2020 are cancelled. I wonder did Yurt City piss them off by saying they were planning on going ahead, either way I doubt it was ever likely to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭endainoz

Don't know what has gone on there, Charleville Castle posted on their facebook page at like 2 in the morning saying that all events in 2020 are cancelled. I wonder did Yurt City piss them off by saying they were planning on going ahead, either way I doubt it was ever likely to go ahead.

All capitals too, someone was playing good citizen alright. The replies to the post are interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yurt City themselves have since posted that it is in fact cancelled.

Aiken announced that live at the Marquee is postponed to 2021, same with the Iveagh Gardens gigs. Where will the great gig purge end? Ye vagabonds doing an other voices stream tonight for anyone who might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Rfrip wrote: »
    Time to leave the thread until 2021

Stay safe

Scruff needs to get in quick!! 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

endainoz wrote: »
    Aiken announced that live at the Marquee is postponed to 2021, same with the Iveagh Gardens gigs. Where will the great gig purge end? Ye vagabonds doing an other voices stream tonight for anyone who might be interested.

Was on last night, was very good. Up on youtube now. Think the next one is next Tuesday at 8 with Sorcha Richardson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XDDlOdDZaU

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd say at this point for 2020, we're probably only going to have a chance of seeing domestic, uk or mainland Europe acts play here late in the year.

Large scale events (even less then 5k) will be the last thing to go back to normal, no one will want to take the risk.

--

With EP not happening this year, would be kind of fun if they put on a greatest performance live-stream from EP's of past - I'm sure they have all the stage recordings still. Some great sets over the last 10+ years.

Apparently Glastonbury are in talks with doing that in June on BBC

Mr.S wrote: »
    Great! Easy win.

I'd say the EP archives have some gold performance that have never been broadcasted. Usage to broadcast online would probably be got at a fraction of normal prices.

It's always such a shame that EP do woeful online /tv coverage. It should be all over RTE when it's on ala Reading / Leeds, Glasto etc.

Agreed i remember the first year they did and was looking forward to catching up after EP but after a few mins i realised it was going to be dreadful. Even if they did what Coachella do and have it streamed via youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the first Witnness had a 3hr live broadcast each night on TV3, with loads of clips from the different stages through the day. i still have the VHS recordings of both nights back in my parents house :pac:

some clips are on youtube:

last one:
    David Gray
    The 4 of US
    Paddy Casey
    Bell X1
    Jack L interview
    Happy Mondays
    Doves
    Relish
    Super Furry Animals
    David Gray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Agreed i remember the first year they did and was looking forward to catching up after EP but after a few mins i realised it was going to be dreadful. Even if they did what Coachella do and have it streamed via youtube.

Ah no. I though it was very decent the first time they did it in 2006, had it live most of the day on Sat & Sun. Dave Fanning did much of the interviews and decent acts on- Alabama 3, Gary Numan, Blue Nile, etc. Maybe did 2007 also, not sure but it was much worse when they returned to doing it a few years back.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Ah no. I though it was very decent the first time they did it in 2006, had it live most of the day on Sat & Sun. Dave Fanning did much of the interviews and decent acts on- Alabama 3, Gary Numan, Blue Nile, etc. Maybe did 2007 also, not sure but it was much worse when they returned to doing it a few years back.

Ah thats my bad i had forgotten that they did it in the early years, i was on about when they did if a few years ago

the first Witnness had a 3hr live broadcast each night on TV3, with loads of clips from the different stages through the day. i still have the VHS recordings of both nights back in my parents house :pac:QUOTE]

Why weren't JJ72 enormous?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

Sad days...! I normally work at EP & without stating the obvious - sorry to say but it’s not looking good. It most likely hasn’t been called yet because of insurance - the govt. has to cancel the event for insurance to kick in because pandemics are deemed “acts of God” that’s why so many restaurants are struggling right now as even with insurance against closure companies are not paying out on grounds of act of god!! It’s bollix! Ploughing champs. Getting set to operate without punters and that’s a week after EP. Regardless of line up it’s my all time best weekend every year and right now I’d take any line up just to be there!! Chin up everyone - maybe the fields of Ireland could be populated with small gatherings and a live stream of acts or just a play list.. that’s our plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Have been enjoying Other Voices recently some nice footage of Soda Blonde among others, TG4 has an interesting series on Fridays called the Windmill Lane Sessions, its kinda like Other Voices without the audience, anyone seen that one.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Nostalgia-Looking-back-at-some-of-Corks-Live-at-the-Marquee-highlights-over-the-years--609b99d9-15a4-4a87-893a-9faf4e5c08fe-ds

Nice article about the famous acts from live at the Marquee in recent years. They have really have some array of different acts over the years.

I hoping when the festivals get back into action in 2021 that EP book Eddy Grant for the Sunday reggae afternoon act, I can't think of anyone more perfect for the spot, in fact I've just downloaded Eddy Grant: The Very Best of... and he has some amazing amount of hits stretching back to 1977 and 78 onward. :)

Just thought of something I was trying in Facebook and a great way to fill out the EP thread here. I'm going to talk about my ten most influential albums that changed my life, I then nominate Seathrun66 to talk about his ten most influential albums that changed his life and he in turn can nominate someone from the Electric Picnic Boards posters to talk about their 10 desert island discs. Does that sound like a good idea, it might also open up your journalistic music writing skills. :) Well here it goes for me.

1. Pink Floyd at Paris Theatre 1970 / 71 I see it has actually been released on the Pink Floyd box set called The Early Years 1965 - 1972 so the discs Reverberation and Deviation representing these two gigs in 1970/70. I have a variation bootleg of it called the BBC Transcription Disc (1525) I prefer this to Atom Heart Mother and Meddle, there is more rough edges and Gilmour even mixes his lyrics up in Echoes, but the sound is a incredible record on the John Peel Perfumed Garden series it features the complete version of Embryo, a forerunner to Echoes, Tracks from More such as Green is the colour and an extra sensory Careful with that axe Eugene. Probably the best live version I've heard of One of these days and because of this particular disc an extra reverberating Echoes which even eclipses the Live at Pompeii version. Beautiful beautiful music.

2. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 1985 - 1992. One of my favourite ambient techno / soundscape albums from the Early nineties along with the Orb and KLF for supreme chill out.

3. Hawkwind - Space Ritual 1972. One of the hardest rocking space rock albums out there with a rhythm section to die for in Simon King on drums, Lemmy on bass and Brock's early 70's wah wah guitar, throw in psychedelic saxophone of Nick Turner the wooshes and bleeps of Dik Mik and Del Dettmar and the choreography dancing of the naked Stacia. :)

4.Gong - Angels Egg 1973. One of the finest space rock studio recordings out there, electronics wizard Tim Blake, Daevid Allen's dopey wordplay, Gilli Smythe's space whisper, Hillage's incredible guitar, Howlet's bass and Moerlen's drums makes a total desert island disc.

5. LCD Soundsystem - Sounds of Silver 2007. One of my very favourite LCD albums, incredible group live who share the same guitar player with Hot Chip. This album has tones of Kraftwerk, The Pixies and Talking Heads, a fantastic summer record and my personal favourite from it is Someone Great.

6. Hooker and Heat 1971: One of the finest collabs out there of John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat, some of the finest overtly emotional blues and incredible harmonica, a hell of a boogie party.

7. Aphex Twin - Syro 2014. Aphex Twin's comeback album after Drukqs from thirteen years before, although Richard D. James was busy with other alias such as AFX Analords and The Tuss. This has all the classic elements of SAW 1 my number 2 category but also updated with his out of this world drum n bass and jungle as well as some highly listenable cheesy stuff that sounds like it was influenced at times by Hall and Oates. :)

8. The Stooges - The Stooges (1969). One of the greatest Rock n Roll records known to man, strengthened even more by their red hot performance at Electric Picnic in 2007. Iggy Pop is one of the best and most entertaining front man in the business and the scintillating mixture of the Asheton brothers and Dave Anderson's wah wah guitar and no nonsense songs such as I wanna be your dog, 1969 and No Fun amongst others. A classic fecking record.

9. Rockers Hi Fi - The Black Album remixed by DJ Kicks 1997. This is my desert island go to reggae and drum n bass record, really lush atmospheric forward thinking reggae music, delicious dub reggae for the future even though its 24 years old.

10. David Byrne and Brian Eno - My Life in a Bush of Ghosts 1981. This was essentially one of the first sampling records out there, the electronic prowess and atmospherics of Brian Eno and the rubbery elastic rhythms of David Byrne make this an absolute classic for me, also a great introduction to world music interspersed into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I hoping when the festivals get back into action in 2021 that EP book Eddy Grant for the Sunday reggae afternoon act, I can't think of anyone more perfect for the spot, in fact I've just downloaded Eddy Grant: The Very Best of... and he has some amazing amount of hits stretching back to 1977 and 78 onward. :)

One of the only artists to still actually own his music IIRC

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gf.jpg

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    gf.jpg

There is no image.

Humm.

Its appears for me on both full and touch site?

Maybe you've your "bad joke" filter on??

Ah, I know what happened!!

gf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It was kind of amateur hour from Yurt City to put up that post so soon after the restrictions were announced.

Just thought of something I was trying in Facebook and a great way to fill out the EP thread here. I'm going to talk about my ten most influential albums that changed my life, I then nominate Seathrun66 to talk about his ten most influential albums that changed his life and he in turn can nominate someone from the Electric Picnic Boards posters to talk about their 10 desert island discs. Does that sound like a good idea, it might also open up your journalistic music writing skills. :) Well here it goes for me.

1. Pink Floyd at Paris Theatre 1970 / 71 I see it has actually been released on the Pink Floyd box set called The Early Years 1965 - 1972 so the discs Reverberation and Deviation representing these two gigs in 1970/70. I have a variation bootleg of it called the BBC Transcription Disc (1525) I prefer this to Atom Heart Mother and Meddle, there is more rough edges and Gilmour even mixes his lyrics up in Echoes, but the sound is a incredible record on the John Peel Perfumed Garden series it features the complete version of Embryo, a forerunner to Echoes, Tracks from More such as Green is the colour and an extra sensory Careful with that axe Eugene. Probably the best live version I've heard of One of these days and because of this particular disc an extra reverberating Echoes which even eclipses the Live at Pompeii version. Beautiful beautiful music.

2. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 1985 - 1992. One of my favourite ambient techno / soundscape albums from the Early nineties along with the Orb and KLF for supreme chill out.

3. Hawkwind - Space Ritual 1972. One of the hardest rocking space rock albums out there with a rhythm section to die for in Simon King on drums, Lemmy on bass and Brock's early 70's wah wah guitar, throw in psychedelic saxophone of Nick Turner the wooshes and bleeps of Dik Mik and Del Dettmar and the choreography dancing of the naked Stacia. :)

4.Gong - Angels Egg 1973. One of the finest space rock studio recordings out there, electronics wizard Tim Blake, Daevid Allen's dopey wordplay, Gilli Smythe's space whisper, Hillage's incredible guitar, Howlet's bass and Moerlen's drums makes a total desert island disc.

5. LCD Soundsystem - Sounds of Silver 2007. One of my very favourite LCD albums, incredible group live who share the same guitar player with Hot Chip. This album has tones of Kraftwerk, The Pixies and Talking Heads, a fantastic summer record and my personal favourite from it is Someone Great.

6. Hooker and Heat 1971: One of the finest collabs out there of John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat, some of the finest overtly emotional blues and incredible harmonica, a hell of a boogie party.

7. Aphex Twin - Syro 2014. Aphex Twin's comeback album after Drukqs from thirteen years before, although Richard D. James was busy with other alias such as AFX Analords and The Tuss. This has all the classic elements of SAW 1 my number 2 category but also updated with his out of this world drum n bass and jungle as well as some highly listenable cheesy stuff that sounds like it was influenced at times by Hall and Oates. :)

8. The Stooges - The Stooges (1969). One of the greatest Rock n Roll records known to man, strengthened even more by their red hot performance at Electric Picnic in 2007. Iggy Pop is one of the best and most entertaining front man in the business and the scintillating mixture of the Asheton brothers and Dave Anderson's wah wah guitar and no nonsense songs such as I wanna be your dog, 1969 and No Fun amongst others. A classic fecking record.

9. Rockers Hi Fi - The Black Album remixed by DJ Kicks 1997. This is my desert island go to reggae and drum n bass record, really lush atmospheric forward thinking reggae music, delicious dub reggae for the future even though its 24 years old.

10. David Byrne and Brian Eno - My Life in a Bush of Ghosts 1981. This was essentially one of the first sampling records out there, the electronic prowess and atmospherics of Brian Eno and the rubbery elastic rhythms of David Byrne make this an absolute classic for me, also a great introduction to world music interspersed into the mix.

An Aphex fixation. You hid that well.

Thanks BD will post mine in the next couple of days. Hope you're doing well.

Livin' on the Frontline still sounds utterly fantastic. He's got some cheese but would be perfect for a sunny Sunday afternoon.
    And did you know he was also the writer and guitarist for this in 1966.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The EP thread, symbolizing the resilience of the human race. 11 months to go before the festival? No problem. ****e lineup? We're still here. No festival whatsoever. In the world. Possibly ever again. Listen to us chat!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I have Electric Avenue around here somewhere, but never really thought about listening to his other stuff! Will do now.

I have Electric Avenue around here somewhere, but never really thought about listening to his other stuff! Will do now.

Start with this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Hi all, havent posted in a while a lot going on at a time when nothing on. Have been dipping in and out and having a laugh or getting some more musical education. You are a great bunch and roll on ep2021 its going to be tropic. Stay safe all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement