Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Why weren't JJ72 enormous?

Lots of label disagreements from what I remember. Might be why their albums have never come to be on Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Lots of label disagreements from what I remember. Might be why their albums have never come to be on Spotify

They're on now. Listened last week. And they hold up, particularly the debut. As good as Irish indie gets I think and a superb live band.

Last time I caught them was EP 2005, they were in the smallest tent and the crowd wasn't huge, Hilary Woods had long gone and they seemed to be going through the motions. A sad end and a huge pity as the potential was enormous. They've barely turned forty, if they even have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

They're on now. Listened last week. And they hold up, particularly the debut. As good as Irish indie gets I think and a superb live band.

Last time I caught them was EP 2005, they were in the smallest tent and the crowd wasn't huge, Hilary Woods had long gone and they seemed to be going through the motions. A sad end and a huge pity as the potential was enormous. They've barely turned forty, if they even have.

Yep they're 40 - I vaguely knew original lineup (Mark, Garvan & Fergal) and used to go see them in the Blue Note and underage drink.... Mark is a lecturer in music now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

optogirl wrote: »
    Yep they're 40 - I vaguely knew original lineup (Mark, Garvan & Fergal) and used to go see them in the Blue Note and underage drink.... Mark is a lecturer in music now.

True, I worked with Mark in BIMM - nice guy!

optogirl wrote: »

I wish someone would give them a few bucks to do some gigs. Easy to fit it in with work I'd have thought. The band were gone when they were barely 25. It'd be nice to give them some overdue appreciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭endainoz

I wish someone would give them a few bucks to do some gigs. Easy to fit it in with work I'd have thought. The band were gone when they were barely 25. It'd be nice to give them some overdue appreciation.

Yeah they'd deserve a slot in Jerry Fish or somewhere like that.

They're on now. Listened last week. And they hold up, particularly the debut. As good as Irish indie gets I think and a superb live band

Really?I can only see 3 songs when I go to their artist page. Still have a physical copy of I to Sky somewhere but I went all digital ages ago tbh. Any of their videos on YouTube seem to be 'fan' uploads rather than any label/band/vevo accounts too. Had a look at the formulae video again there, reminded me that the reason I first started listening to them was that mark was playing the exact guitar I used to lust over in that video

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's always such a shame that EP do woeful online /tv coverage. It should be all over RTE when it's on ala Reading / Leeds, Glasto etc.

Think 2016 was the last time there was some sort of highlights on rte, few bits from the main stage and few interviews if I remember. Something about LCD Soundsystem/their management/label or whatever refusing to allow anything be shown on TV probably soured any relationship with rte (if this was true). Could definitely stream the video feeds from the main stages or put them on YouTube afterwards. Might help with people who video the whole shows too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Announcement coming soon...

Second wave of acts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Where did you see that?

Fuinneamh festival looks like it's going for a sell out. Good for them, hopefully it'll go ahead now.

Really?I can only see 3 songs when I go to their artist page. Still have a physical copy of I to Sky somewhere but I went all digital ages ago tbh. Any of their videos on YouTube seem to be 'fan' uploads rather than any label/band/vevo accounts too. Had a look at the formulae video again there, reminded me that the reason I first started listening to them was that mark was playing the exact guitar I used to lust over in that video

Ah, maybe it's based on regions as the Spotify I use is via Slovakia. All the JJ72 stuff is on there. Maybe distributer/contractual stuff again.

Hi Bodhrandude, thanks for inviting me to do a list of ten albums that influenced me. I know everyone is sick of these lists on social media but I'm still happy to read 'em. Particularly on this thread as some people may surprise us.
    I nominate Stillill42 and he in turn will likely nominate Mucker. Or not, to confound me.

My Bloody Valentine : Loveless. - any explanation required? Thought not.

The Triffids : Born Sandy Devotional - my fave antipodean band, this their very best album and they remain sadly missed. Glad I got the chance to see them the week before they stopped playing.

Culture : Two Sevens Clash - title track for me is the greatest reggae tune of all. Rest of the album is also pretty exceptional in the era that the Jamaicans and punks ruled the word.

Talking Heads : Remain in Light - forty years on and its sounds remain undiminished. Unmatched by any artists then or since mixing indie, electronica and African music. Many imitators, few successes.

Van Morrison : Astral Weeks - possibly the greatest album of all.

Dexys Midnight Runners : Searching For the Young Soul Rebels - punk had run out of steam. Rowland hadn't.

The Beatles : White Album - something new on every visit.

Green on Red : Gas Food Lodging - Chuck and Dan on top form.

The Sugarcubes : Life's Too Good - still my favourite Bjork.

Wilco : A Ghost is Born - Their peak. YHF is close but this edges it.

Could have included Public Enemy, Grandaddy, The Smiths, REM, U2, Blue Nile, Elvis Costello and so many more butI've indulged myself enough already. Stay Safe. G

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

A lot of mine in that last list, probably swap 16 lovers lane by go betweens for the Triffeds but close one.

I would add Talk Talk either Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock depending on the day. Both mind blowing albums and for me the missing link between Astral Weeks, Myles Kind of Blue and Radiohead.

Peterd66 wrote: »
    A lot of mine in that last list, probably swap 16 lovers lane by go betweens for the Triffeds but close one.

I would add Talk Talk either Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock depending on the day. Both mind blowing albums and for me the missing link between Astral Weeks, Myles Kind of Blue and Radiohead.

Post your ten Peter. I Don’t think we’re that great on rules or structure around here.

Open invitation for all to post. Looking forward to reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Queen - Live Killers (It was the first album I bought, and i just loved how exciting it sounded to 10? year old me)

Whipping Boy - Heartworm (not only the best Irish album of all time ,but the best album of all time !!!)

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (No explanation needed)

The Doors - The Doors (I got into the Doors around 1990 and started at the begining. From the 1st song on the debut album, Break on Through, I was hooked and have been ever since)

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (I'm not sure, but I guess it must be my favourite Smiths album, as I listen to it more than the others. I still listen to CDs in my car :eek: and this is never out of it)

Radiohead - In Rainbows (I loved Radiohead from the start, but only dipped in and out for 4 or 5 years. This album made me fall in love with Radiohead again)

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (It's the perfect record in lots of ways. The melodies are superb)

Pearl Jam - Ten (I was never a massive PJ fan, but it always takes me back to a particular time in my teens. I listened to this album hundreds of times, mostly because my record collection was pretty small back then)

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (knowing everything that was going on at the time, it's remarkable the album got made, never mind to make a classic like this. I return to it regularly)

Planxty - Live 2004 (Having left trad behind in my mid-late teens, this brought me back with a bang! Andy Irvine is a genius)

Notable Omissions:
    PJ Harvey - Stories
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & The Lash
    The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
    Neil Young - After the gold rush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Like Clockwork - Queens of the Stone age

Yeesus - Kanye West

Hurry up we're dreaming - M83

St Vincent - St Vincent

IGOR - Tyler the creator

Modern Vampires of the cities - Vampire Weekend

Dirty Computer - Janelle Monae

Semper Femina - Laura Marling

Absolution - Muse

An awesome wave - Alt J

Simply put, you can play track 1 and continue till the end without having to change/shuffle. That's the way an album should play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Great lists lads :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Great lists lads :)

Thanks, though I sense mild disapproval at the absence of Aphex. We’ll do better next time.

• Advertisement

Planxty - Live 2004 (Having left trad behind in my mid-late teens, this brought me back with a bang! Andy Irvine is a genius)

I was thinking of throwing this into my list as well. The opening of "the starting gate" is the perfect way to open a trad album. Still get shivers every time Liam Ògs pipes come on!

Ok I'll have a go:

The Frames - Set list

Starting with an obvious one from me, it's the first album of theirs I heard and it's one of my favorite live albums. Glen has the crowd in the palm of his hand the whole gig and I've been hooked ever since!

Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe

Another live album, this is also my first Rory Gallagher album and it's always a recommended one for people just starting out with his music. His legacy grows every year, truly the greatest guitarist we ever had.

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers

Their greatest work in my opinion, it brings you on a mad journey the whole way through and it does not let up. So many genre crossover but it just works.

The Bothy Band - After hours

Yet another live album to throw in here. I had thought of planxty live 2004 but seen as they have been picked I thought to go a different route. Recorded live in Paris at their peak. The combination of "Pipe on the Hob/hag at the churn" is my favorite recorded trad track.

Bob Marley - Legend

The perfect album for any occasion. Most houses have a version of it somewhere. (Hope a best of album isn't cheating)

Pulp Fiction - Original Soundtrack

(Hope a movie soundtrack isn't cheating either!)

AC/DC - Back in Black

One of the best selling albums of the 80s. Too many classics to mention on this one

Kanye West - My beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Peak Kanye in my opinion.

The Chieftains - The Long black veil

One of the best collaboration albums ever made, tracks with Sting, Mick Jagger and of course Sinead o Connors version of "The foggy dew" is absolutely haunting. (Even if Conor McGregor has kind of hijacked it.)

Thin Lizzy - Live and dangerous

Keeping with the theme of live albums. Thin Lizzy at their peak, the version of Rosaline really stands out.

Phew that was fun to do, will probably have a different 10 next week :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ah, maybe it's based on regions as the Spotify I use is via Slovakia. All the JJ72 stuff is on there. Maybe distributer/contractual stuff again.

What's that commander, we're number 1 in Slovakia? Well that's good, because we will be playing there, next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems daft the cancellation of events over 5,000 went up to end of August but not a few days later to cover biggest music festival on, if not biggest concert this year. Any idea when it will be officially cancelled?

endainoz wrote: »
    I was thinking of throwing this into my list as well. The opening of "the starting gate" is the perfect way to open a trad album. Still get shivers every time Liam Ògs pipes come on!

I didn't know there was an album of that tour. Just checked and recorded in Ennis and Vicar St after rehearsals in Lisdoonvarna so you must have seen that Eanna.

I saw them in the Barbican in London in Jan 2005, no alcohol allowed inside, a staid audience and seated only so wish I'd been at the Irish gigs. Damien Duff was sitting beside me but l left him alone. Am not one to fraternise with Chelsea players.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Most influential albums is a great idea BD - not favourite albums but the ones that had the most impact

1) Leonard Cohen "New Skin for the Old Ceremony" - my parents were big fans of hippy 60s music (and growing mung beans, making home brew and spending hours staring up at the stars wondering about the mysteries of the universe, I wonder if there is a connection) with Cat Stephens, Kris Kristofferson, Joni Mitchel, Robert Zimmerman (who will come up again later) , Donovan etc. But I always loved the weirdness of Leonard Cohen and the way he knew he was singing out of key and the lyrics didn't rhyme or make literal sense, but didn't care. He is probably one of the hardest to pick a single album for (was tempted to Alan Partrige Desert Islands Discs this one), but I settled on New Skin because I loved Chelsea Hotel No.2 and used to play it on the guitar in a different way each time.

2) Michael Jackson "Bad" - My first album for my 10th-ish birthday. My best friend had Thriller which, I must accept, is objectively a better album, but I wanted Bad so we could have them both. When Moonwalker came out on VHS it blew my little mind, and it was just fantastic. Of course, a few years later he was outed as what he was and his music became wildly unpopular, and now there has been a second wave of Jackson hatred, but I just can't deny the music of my childhood. Fun fact - I remember going into Golden Discs and the sales man and my parents were ganging up on me to get the CD - they'd just got a new Hifi with a CD player and there were two extra bonus tracks on the CD. But, like the little hipster I was, I insisted on Vinyl. Not, as it transpired, because vinyl sounds better, but because in my young mind the sleeve was much bigger on the record, hence it was better value than the weenie little CD box. Still have it and it still plays, but is quite scratched. That's why I want you to know about this guilty pleasure.

3) The Prodigy "Music for the jilted generation" - Who doesn't love early 90s rave. It's crazy to watch Prodigy music videos now as they are dated and a little camp, especially compared to the weird and wonderful stuff that comes out these days, but back then they seemed really dark! And the occasional metal inspired song just added to the madness.

4) Oasis "Definitely Maybe" - I could lie and pretend I wasn't into Oasis. I could. I really could. However, I'll never forget the first time I listened to this and, by the time it got to Married with Children it felt like the album had been a journey. Of course, there are countless such albums released long before this, but Definitely Maybe was the first one that I can remember that didn't seem like just a random collection of songs and gave a sort of slice of life view of the world.It's an album for those who realise that they will never be all the things they want to be, but carry on.

5) Moby "Everything is wrong" - First of all, everything is wrong. But that said, there are some absolutely amazing pieces of music on this. I mean, this post has been pretty pretenuous so far, and is going to get worse, but I dare anyone to listen to songs like Hymn, God moving over the face of the waters or When its cold and say it isn't haunting?

6) Bob Dylan "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" - probably my favourite Bob Dylan album. Such great songs from the protest masters of war to the irreverent break up song don't think twice, the whimsical bob dylan's dream, the angry hard rain's gonna fall, and the mournful girl from the north country (the one take version with Johnny Cash is superb, if missing a lot of the lyrics). This album had it all. It even has Blowing in the Wind, as a little amuse bouche before the main courses get served. The CD is still in my car to this day - perfect for those long drives down the country.

7) Echo and the Bunnymen "Ocean Rain" - For reasons that I never fully understood, and still don't, I became obsessed with this album reissue which had the live versions of all the songs when I was in college or just after and had zero money so couldn't really go out much and had to make do with what I had for entertainment. I would listen to this obsessively and read the penguin classics of literature which were only a pound each. Looking back on this time is interesting - I can now afford to buy all the Echo albums and can read books that are still in copyright, but it's so hard to find the time. The live version of Villiers Terrace on the Ocean Rain live track is so much better than the original album version.

8) Pixies "Bossanova" - in the internet age i.e. long after the Pixies had broken up, a pal of mine who was a big fan of the Pixies showed me that the demons that lived in a computer could make slightly tinny sounding versions of songs by popular artists, and instead of having a handful of carefully curated CDs, you could listen to an entire world of music at your fingertips*. I wanted to listen to the Pixies because Fight Club had come out a few years previously bringing renewed interest in them from Where is my mind?, and Whelans had been constantly playing "Here comes your man" so I was expecting there to be a few more hits before I splashed out on the full albums. I never realised that even the shortest (mostly) instrumentals like "Ana" and "Havalina" could be so good. It's always a toss up between Bossanova and Doolittle, but for me I like Bossanova for being that bit more sprightly and alive! And also for Velouria. *Perfectly legally, of course.

9) The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" - it's as if they bottled up that weird mixture of vague happiness and melancholy and made it available in all major audio media. Do you realise that the album is nearly 18 years old? They also do such an amazing live show, that even if you don't care for their music by itself, you can still appreciate the spectacle.

10) Warren Zevon "Transverse City" - Why? You might ask? Well, I'm a bit like a goldfish and my memory resets every few minutes. What was I saying? Oh yeah, I'm fully convinced that Warren Zevon predicted the Coronavirus.
    I want to live on the Upper East Side and never go down in the street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Most influential albums is a great idea BD - not favourite albums but the ones that had the most impact

1) Leonard Cohen "New Skin for the Old Ceremony" - my parents were big fans of hippy 60s music (and growing mung beans, making home brew and spending hours staring up at the stars wondering about the mysteries of the universe, I wonder if there is a connection) with Cat Stephens, Kris Kristofferson, Joni Mitchel, Robert Zimmerman (who will come up again later) , Donovan etc. But I always loved the weirdness of Leonard Cohen and the way he knew he was singing out of key and the lyrics didn't rhyme or make literal sense, but didn't care. He is probably one of the hardest to pick a single album for (was tempted to Alan Partrige Desert Islands Discs this one), but I settled on New Skin because I loved Chelsea Hotel No.2 and used to play it on the guitar in a different way each time.

2) Michael Jackson "Bad" - My first album for my 10th-ish birthday. My best friend had Thriller which, I must accept, is objectively a better album, but I wanted Bad so we could have them both. When Moonwalker came out on VHS it blew my little mind, and it was just fantastic. Of course, a few years later he was outed as what he was and his music became wildly unpopular, and now there has been a second wave of Jackson hatred, but I just can't deny the music of my childhood. Fun fact - I remember going into Golden Discs and the sales man and my parents were ganging up on me to get the CD - they'd just got a new Hifi with a CD player and there were two extra bonus tracks on the CD. But, like the little hipster I was, I insisted on Vinyl. Not, as it transpired, because vinyl sounds better, but because in my young mind the sleeve was much bigger on the record, hence it was better value than the weenie little CD box. Still have it and it still plays, but is quite scratched. That's why I want you to know about this guilty pleasure.

3) The Prodigy "Music for the jilted generation" - Who doesn't love early 90s rave. It's crazy to watch Prodigy music videos now as they are dated and a little camp, especially compared to the weird and wonderful stuff that comes out these days, but back then they seemed really dark! And the occasional metal inspired song just added to the madness.

4) Oasis "Definitely Maybe" - I could lie and pretend I wasn't into Oasis. I could. I really could. However, I'll never forget the first time I listened to this and, by the time it got to Married with Children it felt like the album had been a journey. Of course, there are countless such albums released long before this, but Definitely Maybe was the first one that I can remember that didn't seem like just a random collection of songs and gave a sort of slice of life view of the world.It's an album for those who realise that they will never be all the things they want to be, but carry on.

5) Moby "Everything is wrong" - First of all, everything is wrong. But that said, there are some absolutely amazing pieces of music on this. I mean, this post has been pretty pretenuous so far, and is going to get worse, but I dare anyone to listen to songs like Hymn, God moving over the face of the waters or When its cold and say it isn't haunting?

6) Bob Dylan "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" - probably my favourite Bob Dylan album. Such great songs from the protest masters of war to the irreverent break up song don't think twice, the whimsical bob dylan's dream, the angry hard rain's gonna fall, and the mournful girl from the north country (the one take version with Johnny Cash is superb, if missing a lot of the lyrics). This album had it all. It even has Blowing in the Wind, as a little amuse bouche before the main courses get served. The CD is still in my car to this day - perfect for those long drives down the country.

7) Echo and the Bunnymen "Ocean Rain" - For reasons that I never fully understood, and still don't, I became obsessed with this album reissue which had the live versions of all the songs when I was in college or just after and had zero money so couldn't really go out much and had to make do with what I had for entertainment. I would listen to this obsessively and read the penguin classics of literature which were only a pound each. Looking back on this time is interesting - I can now afford to buy all the Echo albums and can read books that are still in copyright, but it's so hard to find the time. The live version of Villiers Terrace on the Ocean Rain live track is so much better than the original album version.

8) Pixies "Bossanova" - in the internet age i.e. long after the Pixies had broken up, a pal of mine who was a big fan of the Pixies showed me that the demons that lived in a computer could make slightly tinny sounding versions of songs by popular artists, and instead of having a handful of carefully curated CDs, you could listen to an entire world of music at your fingertips*. I wanted to listen to the Pixies because Fight Club had come out a few years previously bringing renewed interest in them from Where is my mind?, and Whelans had been constantly playing "Here comes your man" so I was expecting there to be a few more hits before I splashed out on the full albums. I never realised that even the shortest (mostly) instrumentals like "Ana" and "Havalina" could be so good. It's always a toss up between Bossanova and Doolittle, but for me I like Bossanova for being that bit more sprightly and alive! And also for Velouria. *Perfectly legally, of course.

9) The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" - it's as if they bottled up that weird mixture of vague happiness and melancholy and made it available in all major audio media. Do you realise that the album is nearly 18 years old? They also do such an amazing live show, that even if you don't care for their music by itself, you can still appreciate the spectacle.

10) Warren Zevon "Transverse City" - Why? You might ask? Well, I'm a bit like a goldfish and my memory resets every few minutes. What was I saying? Oh yeah, I'm fully convinced that Warren Zevon predicted the Coronavirus.
    I want to live on the Upper East Side and never go down in the street

Wow Johnny thats an impressive list with great commentary. Was just getting to the point of feeling ok to stick up a list with little explanation (music journalism is not my thing) but will slink back into the shadows for a few days. Fair play.
    Some great albums on the lists all someci have some to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Shamefully I wasn't even born when most of these albums were released :o Being honest, for someone who is into music and goes to a good few gigs I have a limited knowledge of albums in general. I guess it is a symptom of being a part of the mp3/streaming generation. It has only been in the past few years I've properly started giving albums a go regularly, so here is my attempt! I'll try and work chronologically as best as I can (had a few beers so bare with me).

Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below: First album I ever bought when I was around ten or eleven. I remember having a cousin who was slightly older and would always ask what kind of music I liked, I never knew what to say because music was music to me, I didn't know many bands or artists. But Hey Ya changed that and Outkast were the first group I took an active interest in, once I bought the album I was only dying to tell my cousin about it. Haven't listened to it in years but it was a special feeling at EP 2014 when they headlined!

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall: Another one I would have purchased in my pre teen years, even before going to secondary school I remember getting really into disco and 70s/80s music, which in hindsight has been the staple of a large part of my music interest ever since. I wouldn't listen to MJ too often anymore, but he opened a gateway into the world of this type of music and I will be forever grateful for that.

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle: :pac: a random one but I went through a phase of being massively into hip hop, funny considering I have zero interest now. But looking back 90s hip hop had a lot of funk samples and was much different to hip hop now so again I credit it with the type of music I liked later in life. I have also had a borderline obsession with sampling ever since. These were my early years of secondary school, I remember every day I would bring in CDs for the school bus driver to play on the way home (I was the last kid off the bus). Great days!

Deadmau5 - Random Album Title: now approaching the later teens and the end of secondary school. Deadmau5 was really the introduction to electronic music for me and my friends and this album (and the follow up) were rinsed. My first friend to get a car was a 1990 starlet, I remember these tunes hopping out of it when we were driving around in his car that had four gears :pac: Was very excited to see Deadmau5 at my first festival in 2009 but missed him due to being hammered in the campsite (will always remember to cut the young lads slack at EP!).

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours: An obvious classic and probably could have gone anywhere in this chronological list as it has always been on at home being played by my parents. Ironically it probably wasn't until I left home for college that I actually started appreciating it and Fleetwood Macs music. Great pleasure to see them last summer although I didn't think it was a particularly great gig.

Todd Terje - It's Album Time: I would say my favourite artist ever. Reminds me very much of my final year of college (Inspector Norse being the obvious one) but my perception of the album has changed over the years and whenever I go back to listen to it a different song always appeals to me, which I feel is the sign of a really great album.

M83 - Saturdays = Youth: A couple of years ago I remember watching Glastonbury on BBC, M83 playing in the John Peel tent. Midnight City was the song that instantly came to mind but it looked an amazing gig and groups sound was so consistent throughout. Prompted me to dive into the M83 discography and tbh, I could probably listen to them the entire way through from first album to last. Exceptional group who perfect the dreampop/synth wave sound, this album trumps the lot however. Also this time probably marked a point where I started listening to more music that was not dance music (electronic/disco type stuff).

Arcade Fire - Reflektor Now at my first 'grown up job', commuting 1 hour+ to work every day, lot of time to myself. At this point I started listening to TXFM, which in hindsight was one of the best things I ever did in terms of music. Introduced me properly to Arcade Fire and I have such a vivid memory of their last ever show where each DJ played a few songs that they associate with the station. Reflektor might not be Arcade Fires best album but it was the one that introduced me to them, have seen them twice since and up there with the best live bands I've seen, which brings me to..

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream: Arguably the best band I have seen live! I was late to the party on this album, really regret not going to see them at EP 2015. Only time seeing them was in Kilmainham 2018, it was the perfect gig - beautiful weather, lovely crowd, with a good group of friends and a ridiculous band killing it on the stage. The definition of an album you can stick on and let play the whole way through with each tune sounding just as good as the last.

Black Marble - It's Immaterial: Now we are up to present day. A great friend of mine discovered Black Marble within the last 18 months and showed this album to us. Hands down it is the best album I have ever listened to. I returned to college a year or two ago to become a teacher, when I was first introduced to this album was during my first teaching placement (very tough and stressful at the time), listening to this album really got me through every day and the emotion I felt when it was over will always be soundtracked by this album in my memory. Truly exceptional album, probably the one on this that most of you might not have heard of, but I think the boards crowd might like this one if you want to check it out.

A ridiculously long post reading back on this :o but even if nobody reads it, a very enjoyable trip down memory lane going back through these albums. Each one takes me back to a time and place, which for me is what music is about! Couldn't make EP this year but gutted for everyone else if it doesn't go ahead this year. Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Who had you lined up to see this month?

I was due to see Leif Vollebekk tomorrow night

Nick Cave next week

Sun Kil Moon in a few weeks time

Then rounding off the month with the Rory Gallagher festival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Loving the lists, lads. Brilliant stuff. This is in no particular order.

1. Hatful of Hollow, the Smith's - breaking the rules? Not one of the Smith's albums, but the first time I fell in love with them. A sublime collection of songs and the start of a lifelong love affair.

2. New Gold Dream, Simple Minds - the start of me pulling away from whatever everyone else in the CBS was listening to, DireStraits or UB40 or ZZ Top or God knows what else. Simple Minds were a very underrated band.

3. The Real Ramona, Throwing Muses - I spent a Summer in Germany in my early college days on my own and really started listening to music in earnest. I came back with a few albums that opened my eyes a bit to how much was out there. This one is a beaut.

4. Life is good, the Sugercubes - I still remember listening to
    this for the first time and thinking wtf was this. Crazy, beautiful fun.

5. Fuzzy, Grant Lee Buffalo - just loved it.

6. Surfer Rosa, Pixies - Wow, they were something different when they appeared! Still my go to when I want to make my heart sing. Two and a half minutes of jumping round shouting stuff that doesn't make any sense. Brilliant.

7. Blue bell knoll, Cocteau twins - gorgeous, otherworldly Liz.

8. Grace, Jeff Buckley - What a legacy. Lover still one of my all time favourite songs.

9. I've seen everything, Trash Can Sinatras - another beautiful piece of work.

10. Suede, Suede - very exciting time, felt like there was stuff happening over there. Still go back to this one.

Keep them coming, folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement