Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I didn't know there was an album of that tour. Just checked and recorded in Ennis and Vicar St after rehearsals in Lisdoonvarna so you must have seen that Eanna.

I saw them in the Barbican in London in Jan 2005, no alcohol allowed inside, a staid audience and seated only so wish I'd been at the Irish gigs. Damien Duff was sitting beside me but l left him alone. Am not one to fraternise with Chelsea players.

Alas no I did not see them that time. It was actually billed as a solo Christy gig in The Royal Spa hotel in Lisdoonvarna but actually turned out to be a Planxty reunion. Would have been amazing to see. What we found out some time after this was that this reunion was originally ment to happen in 2003 at the return of the Lisdoonvarna festival. However after it was moved to the RDS the reunion was delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I didn't know there was an album of that tour. Just checked and recorded in Ennis and Vicar St after rehearsals in Lisdoonvarna so you must have seen that Eanna.

I saw them in the Barbican in London in Jan 2005, no alcohol allowed inside, a staid audience and seated only so wish I'd been at the Irish gigs. Damien Duff was sitting beside me but l left him alone. Am not one to fraternise with Chelsea players.

Saw them in 2004 at the Radisson, got a freebie from the manager of the Kings Head, a pub we played a session in every Saturday in Galway, what a gig. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Loving all these lists, Talking Heads, Planxty, Bothy Band, Cocteau Twins - Victorialand and loads of others should be in my list too, but I'll stick with the one I've chosen for the moment. This is reflective of the old school Picnic audience, such a diverse taste in all our music likes, I'm probably the old hippy amongst ya's but our lists will probably change in time again when we redefine our most influential and desert island discs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It'll take me ages to pick 10 albums but i'll give it a go.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

using "influence" as the main criterion, this would be my top 10 influential albums list, in no particular order:

Nirvava: Nevermind
    The first of probably a lot of early 90s albums on here. i was 14 when this came out first. I remember getting a cassette recording of it, handed around the school, everyone making a copy and teh album was in such demand, and so loved, that we'd all wait to record off the master, rather than make copy of a copy.. which always resulted in lesser quality.
    Here was someone screaming the trials and tribulations of our early teenage angsty years, floating on a base of a noise that was loud, new and energetic. Such a foil to the over bloated hair metal crap that was all too prevalent at the time. I had the greasy haired undercut, the baggy strippy jumper and the dont give a **** attitude. God i miss those days :D

REM: Document
    My first real ‘loved’ album.... brought on by the absolutely brilliant and timeless "end of the world as we know it". These songs were so high class that there is not a weak song on it. It was their last true album before they embraced the pop. Political without it being in your face (exhuming McCarthy, welcome to the occupation), fragile yet strong in songs like "the one i love" and "king of birds".. which has one of the best marching beats ... they lost so much when Bill Berry left.

David Gray: Lost songs
    This album really came out of nowhere. Really a list of B sides and forgottens that he wrote before the fame that white ladder brought. The best thing about this album is, while the subject matter spans 3 years, the album was recorded in 1o days. There are startling beautiful songs on it... and if you haven't heard it i envy you for hearing it for the very first time.

Pink Floyd: Wish you were here
    I could have included many Floyd albums here, but i think WYWH is their zenith, with the title track being the zenith of their creativity. Its so simple its perfect. Today, you will not find an opening track to an album that has no lyrics until over 9 mins. My first two Floyd albums to hear were DSOTM and The Wall, but WYWH stays with me more, i hear new stuff every time i hear it... songs like welcome to the machine and have a cigar are just sonically amazing.. the band at their very best... before Roger became over powering.

Whipping Boy: Heartworm
    The best irish album of all time, even better than the Phil spectre inspired 'loveless' ;)
    there is a truth and pain in this album that is very hard to match anywhere. i recall actually crying after listening to the hidden track at the end for the first time. Lyrically phenomenal album, and musically strong enough to carry them. The words to "when we were young" could have been taken straight from my teenage years.... The first time that you stole, You stole rubber lips and tenners, Bought a radio then ran away for ever, Never felt so good, never felt so good with you, When we were young we had no fear, Of love nor sex nor warnings, Everyone was hanging out, everyone was sorted

Prayer Boat: polichinelle
    Early 00s Irish album from a vastly underrated band. They weren’t around for a long time, but what they did in that period is create sensitive and beautiful songs. Think of an unplugged radiohead. Im still a huge Emmett Tinley fan, who continues to release solo albums of beautiful introspective songs. Probably the best know song on this was “saved” which contains the timeless lyris “There's no sadder song than this one, you wake up alone in my arms”

Engine Alley: a sonic holiday
    The first irish band apart from U2 that I though had an international feel to them. The weird and wonderful songs, full of quirky lyrics and quirkier videos. Loads of songs that people hear again and think, yeah I remember that !! Song for someone, mrs winder, infamy, diamond jill and crazy jane… still bring a smile to me every time I hear them. The sight of their girl drummer Emmaline playing hard in thigh highs was etched into my pubescent brain :D. Lucky enough to catch the in feile in early 90s and again a couple of times over the last few years. Canice and Brian have lost none of their swagger and aura.

Neil Young: Harvest
    The ultimate Sunday morning album….. breezy and full of singalong happiness. It has its dark side of course with “the needle….”. Its probably fav Young album of that early 70s era, though theres not a weak album amongst them. Brings back memories of the first house I lived in with my mates… crazy times. Its not all ‘americana’ either with songs like ‘a man needs a maid’ and ‘alabama’ pushing the boundaries. There is a myrid of different styles on this, but all neatly sewn together with shakeys pitch perfect voice.

Porcupine Tree: Fear of a black planet.
    If I had to choose one PT album it would be this one. Prog rock with more rock than prog..and prog in the truest meaning of the word progressive. I was lead here after saturating on Pink Floyd and what a discover Porcupine Tree were. Probably the best unknown band in the UK for the last 25 years. Wilson has it all in this album… the soaring synths, the shredding chords, the outer wordly lyrics and the naval gazing dissection of normal life…. All with a sense of dread that is palpable through the whole album. . Anesthetize is the perfect song to show this… over 17 mins of a journey to the dark side of yourself.

U2: achtung baby
    I have to include a U2 album in here, as they were with me all the way from being a baby to being a fully formed adult. They progressed along their path as I did mine, ever present on the always on radio stations of my childhood. Achtung baby is their best album. Who would have thought that a band that was a world leader in 1989, who created some of the best songs of the 80s, could go off and “dream it all up again” and return to become even bigger. Achtung baby is their masterpiece in my opinion. It broken into 1990 determined to drag all that chart dross out of its slumber and over bloated cocaine filled excess. Those opening distorted notes of zoo station promise something special.. and what comes after does not disappoint. The fly, whos gonna ride, throw your arms, until the end of the world, ultraviolet….. every song different but brilliant. And like wish you were here by the floyd, I think U2s career hits their zenith with “one”. Such a brilliant song that is perfect due to its simplicity … or is it that other way round? The 1990 was a year of promise after a hard 80s for most people. With this album U2 gave a glimpse of a future that could be exciting and innovative. And in many ways the 90s were.

Notables that didn’t make the list would be Pearl Jams ‘ten’, REM ‘Automatic for the people’, Pixies ‘Doolittle’, Bruce Springsteen ‘Ghost of Tom Joad’, Bob Markey “Exodus” , Paul Weller “Stanley road”, Grant lee Buffalo “fuzzy”, Blue Nile “walk across the roof tops”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I left the Cure out. And the Frames. The Go-Betweens. Depeche Mode. Pavement. PJ Harvey. It's hard, this game.

Tom Waits!

Screenshot_20200501-202004_Word.jpg

So that's where we are on the festivals, phase 5, from August 10th. Doesn't specify what those numbers are, do they stay at 5000? And how in God's name could anyone claim to be able to enforce social distancing. Just a bit surprised that they seem to open the door a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God this was difficult...honourable mentions to amy whinehouse and the National but they didn’t make the top 10. Surprisingly very little electronic!

Smashing Pumpkins: Ava Adore
    This is how I became so into music. I was staying over a friends house and she had this on in the background. I heard crestfallen and for Martha and though god what’s this. That began my love for smashing pumpkins. The joy then of having such a great back catalogue to discover along with a another few good albums ahead. I was a mere feotus. 17

Mylo : Destroy Rock and Roll
    Mylo started my love affair with dance and electronic. Won tickets to some Heineken competition back in the day in half moon club in cork and it was the start of it for me. However went to see him at ep 2 years ago I think and he was ****e!!! Every single song on that album is a choon and I still listen to it 16 years later

U2 : all that you can’t leave behind
    My first ever gig was the slane u2 gig. It was the start of me and outdoor gigs, where I soaked up that incredible atmosphere that’s absolutely unbeatable and my first introduction to portoloos. What I wouldn’t give to be in a portoloo this summer!!
    Hearing beautiful day still gives me goosebumps

The Frames For the Birds
    Was torn between this or set list. Headlong and what happens when the heart just stops literally makes my heart ache. Adore them live and try to see them whenever they are playing! Was hoping they were going to come to the marquee this year!

Lauren Hill: Miseducation of
    No sentimental attachment to this album other than I love every single song on it. Went to see her in three arena last year an oh my Christ she was rubbish. Oh well

Caribou: Our love
    Can’t do without you is in my top all time favourite songs, one I play repeatedly and never tire of. The album is brilliant but that song just sums up my whole feelings of going to festivals with my gang and it being the highlight of our year.

Coldplay: Parachutes
    I absolutely adore Coldplay, and I’m also in love with Chris Martin. Not the thread for it but the croke park gig was the best gig I was ever at...I love every song on that album but trouble has a special place in my heart

Fleetwood mac : Rumours
    Hearing Stevie nicks sing landslide last year at their gig in the rds was almost like an out of body experience. Have amazing memories dancing to everywhere at mother djs closing out body and soul

Bon iver. For Emma,forever ago
    I adore Bon Iver. Holocene is the most beautiful song I have ever heard. Their gig in 3 arena back in 2012 was incredible. The sounds were just amazing. Was meant to be going to see them sunday night. After that gig in 3Arena, we met the entire band in the residents bar in the Gibson. They were all so sound and Justin vernon bought me and my friend pints. I’d love to think I was talking to them about something really deep and profound and that I connected with them on a spiritual level.....but I seriously doubt it.

Chic: Freak out
    Ye didn’t think I’d leave out our aul buddie old pal Nile! That gig in electric arena that time was probably one of the best gigs I was ever at. Whatever it is they do it’s magical. We followed them around the place ever since.
    I’d go see them every year at ep if they were playing. There’s something so special about them and you leave with a smile on you’re face. Can’t ask for more than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ah ffs I left out the cure, siguir rois and arcade fire. Il have to take back Lauren Hill especially since she is ****e live!

Jesus I left out tame impala and Robyn...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Rage are about to announce all dates postponed until 2021 in the next 24 hours

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Rage are about to announce all dates postponed until 2021 in the next 24 hours

They have already announced the rescheduled headline US tour dates for 2021 but not mention of any festivals as of yet, but that could be because the likes of Reading/Leeds and EP have yet to cancel

https://tour.ratm.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

They have already announced the rescheduled headline US tour dates for 2021 but not mention of any festivals as of yet, but that could be because the likes of Reading/Leeds and EP have yet to cancel

https://tour.ratm.com/

The festival dates are off and EP announcement is immanent. License to be denied next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Hot Press put out a list of fifteen albums to look forward to earlier, including albums from the coronas and kodaline........

We oughta leave this world behind

Ah God. I've just seen that Tony Allen has died, legendary drummer, drummed with the Good the bad and the Queen. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Stillill42 wrote:
    Ah God. I've just seen that Tony Allen has died, legendary drummer, drummed with the Good the bad and the Queen. RIP.

But more importantly Fela Kuti.

Anyone seen Rubick around, would love to see your top 10 list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Peterd66 wrote: »
    But more importantly Fela Kuti.

Absolutely and according to Fela it was Allen not him that was the source of the Afrobeat sound. Great memories of Glastonbury 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Absolutely and according to Fela it was Allen not him that was the source of the Afrobeat sound. Great memories of Glastonbury 1989.

Fela (and TA) is the one artist I am always asked "who is that?" when I play it to people who haven't heard before, just phenomenal music and complete timeless.

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/05/01/denmark-introduces-drive-in-concerts-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/amp/

Interesting experiment, not sure how you'd keep Irish in the car for a gig though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

^
    No thanks.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ^
    No thanks.

Drink driving another glaring issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

After much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth here is my top 10 influential albums.

The Cure: The Top
    While this is not my favourite cure album it makes my top 10 because it was the first album i bought with my own money. When my parents heard it they realised it was time to let me pick my own music and there ended the Now collection and Chris De Burgh albums arriving as presents. Start of my musical journey.

Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP
    I remember Tom Dunne playing Stan and it stopping me in my tracks. I was never big into rap but this was such a well crafted song i couldn't help being impressed. Went looking for it the next day but it hadnt been released. Bought the album on its release and loved it. Opened my eyes and ears to rap music.

Gorillaz: Demon Days
    I just love the music the Gorillaz produce. Such a vast arrray of sounds and styles.

Keaton Henson:
    Came across Keaton on Other Voices. His voice and songs get to me and while guitar bands will always be my go to he reminded me the softer side of music is damn good too

Leonard Cohen: The Essential Leonard Cohen
    I would have been aware of Cohen from Hallelujah and So long Marianne but not really any more than that. Then i heard Famous Blue Raincoat and the words pulled me into his world. Normally it is the music or the voice that pulls me in so this was different. I listen to the words of songs more now because of him. While a best of may be a bit of a cheat this is the album i bought the day after hearing Famous Blue Raincoat

Pink Floyd: The Wall
    I remember a friend telling me to come over he had a great film to show me. While i enjoyed the film of the wall the music did sonething to me. The sonic sound, the guitar work, the concept music it blew my mind. Has had a huge influence on my music tastes.

Stone Roses: Stone Roses
    If The Cure is my band for life the Stone Roses are my band for a time of my life. A band of lads having fun, not really caring what others thought and producing music that just seemed to capture how i felt at the time as i moved from school to the real world. An album that always takes me back to that point in my life.

Thin Lizzy: Live and Dangerous
    Was always a fan of their music but other than The Cure would not have bought live albums as didnt think they worked. This album changed my mind. Everytime i listen to it i feel like i am there and the energy courses through me. Great performance, great songs and Phil has me in the palm of his hand along with the rest of the crowd

Whipping Boy: Heartworm
    What is left to say about this album. A classic from start to finish and proof that we Irish can produce classics. To this day this album keeps me interested in the Irish music scene

Wu Lyf
    Unlike Leonard Cohen most of the time i have no idea what the singer is saying but they still drag me in. Why this has made my list is i cannot even recall how i came across them but they were a great discovery and because of them i check out lots of bands and make lots of discoveries i wouldnt get from mainstream sources. Sadly they only made one album but have made a lasting impression on me in my search for musical enjoyment.

Some of those i sadly left out: Bloc Party, Blur, REM, Sinead O Connor, The Smiths, Tame Impala, Vancouver Sleep Clinic, The Frames, Interpol

Missing album names from previous post
    Keaton Henson Kindly Now
    Wu Lyf Go tell fire to the mountain

I had a strange dream I was at a social distancing gig last night. No idea who played but everyone was two metres away from each other and it was minus craic altogether.

endainoz wrote: »
    I had a strange dream I was at a social distancing gig last night. No idea who played but everyone was two metres away from each other and it was minus craic altogether.

A live gig is an experience you share with those around you even if you dont know them or dont speak to them. Social distancing and gigs just cant work together in my view because you cant share the experience and energy from 2 metres apart and in a largely empty venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mucker46 wrote: »
    A live gig is an experience you share with those around you even if you dont know them or dont speak to them. Social distancing and gigs just cant work together in my view because you cant share the experience and energy from 2 metres apart and in a largely empty venue.

Plus the economics wouldn't work unless ticket prices went up dramatically. And even if they did not sure enough people would be willing to pay that increase. For pubs the proposal for first reopening is a maximum if 4 people for 10 square metres for eg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I feel there's growing public outcry against any notion of the EP going ahead, which is understandable I guess, but some petty attitudes emerging. When the EP is cancelled I'd rather it be on safety grounds based off sound medical advice rather than someone who's been put out because their Westlife concert didn't go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I feel there's growing public outcry against any notion of the EP going ahead, which is understandable I guess, but some petty attitudes emerging. When the EP is cancelled I'd rather it be on safety grounds based off sound medical advice rather than someone who's been put out because their Westlife concert didn't go ahead.

Outcry from people who have tickets or those who don't have tickets? I can feel some sympathy if the festival goes ahead but someone, whether through chronic illness, age, caring duties or just general social distancing can't go and can't sell their ticket either.

And I can see how damaging it would be for All Together Now from a goodwill point of view if EP went ahead after they got cancelled.

But at the end of the day, its a fun weekend for people, and if it is safe to go, it will be an amazing weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement