Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I feel there's growing public outcry against any notion of the EP going ahead, which is understandable I guess, but some petty attitudes emerging. When the EP is cancelled I'd rather it be on safety grounds based off sound medical advice rather than someone who's been put out because their Westlife concert didn't go ahead.

Is there? I think most people not going probably think there's a slim chance of it going ahead tbh if they're thinking about it at all. I think there's just too many hurdles to be cleared, I can't see how 70,000 people would be able to be in one spot without social distancing. Could be issues with booked artists not being able to go. Also issues with having certain number of paramedics, Gardai available etc.

It's like that college football game in August, it hasn't been cancelled yet but hard to see how it could go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see Dave Greenfield the amazing virtuoso keyboard player with the Stranglers passed away due to covid, sad news, they put on a nice gig at EP 2014. RIP Dave Greenfield.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Nialler9 saying "it is expected that Electric Picnic will announce that it will be postponed to 2021 with the same headliners in 2021 in the coming weeks." Will have to wait and see. https://nialler9.com/electric-picnic-headliners-postpone-festival-and-tour-dates/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hard to know why it's taking so long, didn't someone say the license decision was due this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

endainoz wrote: »
    Hard to know why it's taking so long, didn't someone say the license decision was due this week?

I've seen it mentioned here before that the government needs to have a ban on these events in September for it to postpone, due to insurance reasons.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »

Guess they could be working to have all the headliners sorted for next year before announcing cancellation

I think their communication has been poor the last while. I know there's a lot of uncertainty but even if they gave a holding statement between now and next announcement. Radio silence is never great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think their communication has been poor the last while. I know there's a lot of uncertainty but even if they gave a holding statement between now and next announcement. Radio silence is never great.

What do you want them to say - "we have nothing to say"!

I'm sure they will communicate once they have something to communicate with us

What do you want them to say - "we have nothing to say"!

I'm sure they will communicate once they have something to communicate with us

Anything would do. "We hope to update you in the next few weeks when we hope to have more information". Basically an acknowledgement and rough timeline. Not that difficult by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Mucker46 wrote: »
    A live gig is an experience you share with those around you even if you dont know them or dont speak to them.

its our form of mass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

2) Michael Jackson "Bad" - My first album for my 10th-ish birthday. My best friend had Thriller which, I must accept, is objectively a better album, but I wanted Bad so we could have them both. When Moonwalker came out on VHS it blew my little mind, and it was just fantastic. Of course, a few years later he was outed as what he was and his music became wildly unpopular, and now there has been a second wave of Jackson hatred, but I just can't deny the music of my childhood. Fun fact - I remember going into Golden Discs and the sales man and my parents were ganging up on me to get the CD - they'd just got a new Hifi with a CD player and there were two extra bonus tracks on the CD. But, like the little hipster I was, I insisted on Vinyl. Not, as it transpired, because vinyl sounds better, but because in my young mind the sleeve was much bigger on the record, hence it was better value than the weenie little CD box. Still have it and it still plays, but is quite scratched. That's why I want you to know about this guilty pleasure.

Few things that I disagree with here.

1. Guilty pleasure?
    I never understood why people say that about a song or an artist. What do people mean by that? Why would they feel guilty about listening to a song or a piece of music? Because society would think you're "girly" or have a "**** taste in music?" Never got or understood that. Man In The Mirror is a great song :confused:

2. Whilst I used to think he was guilty, I done a 180 recently enough and now believe he's innocent of accusations but, that's a different discussion altogether. I just wanted to put that out there.

3. I have limited knowledge or exposure to anything after Black or White so, I wouldn't be a "fanatic" per say. Never listened to Off The Wall either but, to my ears/taste, I think Bad is a better album than Thriller. The whole package I guess in terms of the look/image, artwork, more self penned songs than Thriller, better feel to Bad etc.
    Two wonderful albums though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

MOR316 wrote: »
    Few things that I disagree with here.

1. Guilty pleasure?
    I never understood why people say that about a song or an artist. What do people mean by that? Why would they feel guilty about listening to a song or a piece of music? Because society would think you're "girly" or have a "**** taste in music?" Never got or understood that. Man In The Mirror is a great song :confused:

They say that if you have to explain the joke it doesn't work, but "that's why I want you to know" is a lyric from the man in the mirror, and "guilty", well I think you've already worked that part out.
    3. I have limited knowledge or exposure to anything after Black or White so, I wouldn't be a "fanatic" per say. Never listened to Off The Wall either but, to my ears/taste, I think Bad is a better album than Thriller. The whole package I guess in terms of the look/image, artwork, more self penned songs than Thriller, better feel to Bad etc.
    Two wonderful albums though

Scientists have been working on it for years and 96% agree that Thriller is objectively a better album than Bad. The 4% who disagree are in the pay of Big Quincy, and so are not are impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

They say that if you have to explain the joke it doesn't work, but "that's why I want you to know" is a lyric from the man in the mirror, and "guilty", well I think you've already worked that part out.

Scientists have been working on it for years and 96% agree that Thriller is objectively a better album than Bad. The 4% who disagree are in the pay of Big Quincy, and so are not are impartial.

It doesn't work, regardless. Awful execution tbh.

Big Quincy Jones might wanna get his finger out and send me my money so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://youtu.be/jLNt8aMNbvY

New Fontianes video, Aiden Gillen is a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Life ain't always empty. A song for our times.

Messaged Rubick to find out if he's still alive :) his last post was just over three weeks ago and he hasn't closed his account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

My ten...
    1. Best of Motown - got this after getting into MJ and have had a love of Motown and northern soul ever since
    2. De la soul - 3ft high and rising - a cousin taped this and happy Mondays (bummed I think) and it blew my mind. Again have always had a gra for the hippedy hop every since
    3. Automatic for the people - came to REM a bit late but they were the first serious band crush for me despite liking PJ and Nirvana
    4. Oasis Definitely Maybe - grew tired of them by the third album but they really hit the zeitgeist and got a lot of people into indie music
    5. Primal Scream - Screamadelica
    Was it indie, was it dance, who gives a feck, it's brilliant!
    6. Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk - before it got a commercial release I had a copy (of a copy probably) on tape from some indie kid in Japan. When they came on the scene it was like the second coming of the Smith's, being a fan was like being in a club with select members.
    7. Beck - Odelay - showed that a skinny white boy could be funky, rock out or rap, the sky was the limit.
    8. Pavement - Crooked rain *2 - proud of this as my first cd purchase. Still a big fan and it introduced me to a whole new wide world of wonky weirdos
    9. Wilco - Being there - showed me that country wasnt just for c*nts! They've made better albums but this will always be my favorite
    10. Arcade fire - funeral - remember downloading this (audiogalaxy?) and raving to anyone who'd listen and getting blank stares as back then music broke in a different way. Pitchfork was pretty spot on and these were one of the last great word of mouth bands to discover.

Great list, Sweetie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Eod100 wrote: »

Why make a token announcement to say that they don't yet know what's going on? They're dealing with hundred of people who similarly are unsure of the future (Gardai, local politicians, acts, promoters, stallholders, sponsors, hotels, security, etc, etc).

All I'd like are clear decisions and information when people have them available.

sweetie wrote: »
    My ten...
    1. Best of Motown - got this after getting into MJ and have had a love of Motown and northern soul ever since
    2. De la soul - 3ft high and rising - a cousin taped this and happy Mondays (bummed I think) and it blew my mind. Again have always had a gra for the hippedy hop every since
    3. Automatic for the people - came to REM a bit late but they were the first serious band crush for me despite liking PJ and Nirvana
    4. Oasis Definitely Maybe - grew tired of them by the third album but they really hit the zeitgeist and got a lot of people into indie music
    6. Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk - before it got a commercial release I had a copy (of a copy probably) on tape from some indie kid in Japan. When they came on the scene it was like the second coming of the Smith's, being a fan was like being in a club with select members.
    7. Beck - Odelay - showed that a skinny white boy could be funky, rock out or rap, the sky was the limit.
    8. Pavement - Crooked rain *2 - proud of this as my first cd purchase. Still a big fan and it introduced me to a whole new wide world of wonky weirdos
    9. Wilco - Being there - showed me that country wasnt just for c*nts! They've made better albums but this will always be my favorite
    10. Arcade fire - funeral - remember downloading this (audiogalaxy?) and raving to anyone who'd listen and getting blank stares as back then music broke in a different way. Pitchfork was pretty spot on and these were one of the last great word of mouth bands to discover.

Most of those have made their way to Stradbally also. No Pavement, but Malkmus twice I think.

All we need now is a reformed REM heading down the N7.

• Advertisement

Messaged Rubick to find out if he's still alive :) his last post was just over three weeks ago and he hasn't closed his account.

It is possible BD - and I know that this goes against everything that we are about in here- that Rubick figured there's not much to talk about anymore in the EP 2020 thread. Just a thought.

sweetie wrote: »
    My ten...

You inspired my soundtrack to the morning. I preferred the three albums that followed this but BT still sounds really fresh and it's a band hugely leaping forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Sad news tonight about Florian Schneider, their epic EP gig from 2005 still one of my favourites.

Always loved this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Sad news tonight about Florian Schneider, their epic EP gig from 2005 still one of my favourites.

Always loved this one

Decent tune but the Coldplay version is much better

Why do people keep dying, death its one of these things that will never go out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

That Kraftwerk show was fab. One of the best days at Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Decent tune but the Coldplay version is much better

Never thought I would see that sentence written down in any context.

Never thought I would see that sentence written down in any context.

Just pray, for the sake of the thread, that it's droll sarcasm.

Wooderson wrote: »
    That Kraftwerk show was fab. One of the best days at Stradbally.

EA that evening was Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire, Royksopp & Kraftwerk. Main stage had Doves & Flaming Lips.

Spoiled rotten.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement