Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Galway Arts Festival has retained all its announced acts for 2021 and announced new dates. It's probably fair to assume that's the way it's going to go for EP and other festivals with the odd tweak.

https://www.giaf.ie/festival/events

Some great gigs there alright, very tempted to go see the pixies, though heard they're a bit hit and miss live?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Rfrip wrote: »
    So tempted to get Jon Hopkins tickets

The way I’m feeling now is I want to go to absolutely everything next year...no matter what county it’s in!

There is the other underlying issue here, this would apply to give and events in general. Will people be ok with going to mass gatherings now that social distancing is ingrained in people's minds? (For the right reasons of course)

Now granted I'm not really talking about the likes of ourselves on these threads. Clearly most of us are mad gig heads and it probably wouldn't affect us as much. The ones I'm referring to are the casual gig going types, ones that go to a croke park show once every few years or slane, RDS gigs etc..

I genuinely think a lot of this demographic will be a bit put off by the idea of a huge crowd in a field all at once.

Of course I could be totally wrong and 2021 will be a bumper year for events but hey it's worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

endainoz wrote: »
    Now granted I'm not really talking about the likes of ourselves on these threads. Clearly most of us are mad gig heads and it probably wouldn't affect us as much.

Going to gigs is one of my favourite things to do and even I would be reluctant to to gigs until there is a vaccine (or other way of reducing risk of transmission).

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Officially cancelled. No surprise but disappointing. Tickets can be carried to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

sassyj wrote: »
    Officially cancelled. No surprise but disappointing. Tickets can be carried to next year.

3rd to 5th Sept? Always 1st weekend in Sept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Should we request lock or rename for this beast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    3rd to 5th Sept? Always 1st weekend in Sept?

Sounds right, historically at least, the Monday after the last day of EP is always, the first Monday in September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Just got the email there, cancellation is official

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yeah would've thought I'd discover more reading his list.
    It's just like some list a Spotify algorithm would throw together of most listened to songs by popular artists!

Love Buckley's Song to the Siren, interesting he went with covers such as it and Johnny Cash and Fugees over the originals.

In fairness to the This Mortal Coil version, it is by far the best known version. It is absolutely stunning, one of my favourite recordings ever. I think of it in the same way as Hendrix made Watchtower his own. I suppose many would say the same for Cash's Hurt. The Fugees though ... that baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

No mention on if artists will be returning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

kg703 wrote: »

They won't be able to guarantee that. All up in the air for all festivals. I'd imagine a lot of bands will be trying to do as many of their own gigs as possible for more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

kg703 wrote: »

Hopefully not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Hopefully not :)

Hehehe, hoping RATM get their own gig now ;)

You know all the Irish acts will be back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Refund received from pink moon already

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

It’s a sad day all the same - although we knew it was inevitable!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Feel sorry for all the temp workers who pick up gigs at these festivals. I don’t know what they are going to do to generate work for themselves, poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

How many sleeps to EP 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭TenPicnics

everlast75 wrote: »
    Fair play to Pink Moon, they're in a different league to the money-grabbing Pod Pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

everlast75 wrote: »

Saw their e-mail, think I'm just going to roll it over, f**k getting into the booking queues again for them and e.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Glad we can roll our tickets over - save the scramble in September but man oh man it's just so sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Yeah it’s great not to worry bout getting tickets again.
    The cynic in me thought they would just refund all the tickets and then do away with the whole loyalty ticket scheme next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That’s an disappointing playlist from Bono. A life dedicated to music yet at seems he’s unaware of anything that isn’t played on 2fm. So little variety.

Cancellation was inevitable but still sad to see all the same. Fuinnemh festival seem convinced they can go ahead without issue 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

endainoz wrote: »
    Some great gigs there alright, very tempted to go see the pixies, though heard they're a bit hit and miss live?

Really? Excellent every time I've seen them. Fri sold out though, only Thur available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whenever the integrity of U2 is brought up I always think of Henry Rollins who said something along the lines of "I think It is great that Bono is out saving the rainforest. That means he has less time to be in the studio making **** music." Rollins realy hates U2.

I fairness his 60 songs list is pretty good, if a little predictable and was sure to include all his mates. I immediately went to see which Bunnymen song would be there. Rescue it is. I remeber some jounalist back in 1980 or so asking the edge if his guitar style and sound was influenced by Will Seargent. The edge claimed to have never heard of Echo and the Bunnymen.

Having said that any list that has Song to the Siren on it can't be all bad.

Rollins has a very shady past so I wouldn’t be holding up him as some sort of hero

Give me bono at his most pontificating (if that’s a word!) than Henry Rollins scowling and roaring

U2 share royalties equally. And are still together 40 years later. Rollins was sued by former band mates. Says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The cynic in me thought they would just refund all the tickets and then do away with the whole loyalty ticket scheme next year.

I was thinking the very same thing.
    Don't make sense for the tickets to roll to next year or get a refund, should be either one or the other.
    It's creating work for themselves later in year when tickets go on sale again to check to see if people had purchased the early birds already and will be a nightmare for people who bought tickets on donedeal, gumtree etc which were bought online trying to get new tickets issued or refunded.

Saw their e-mail, think I'm just going to roll it over, f**k getting into the booking queues again for them and e.p.

Same here re tickets. Not only the hassle of getting the tickets but leaving the money with FR and Pink Moon allows those companies to stay afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ok ,so it’ll be a capacity of 140 thousand next year,recoup,recoup!!!!!!

It's a hell of a lot of cash for them to hold onto so I'd have been very surprised had they refunded everyone.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I was thinking the very same thing.
    Don't make sense for the tickets to roll to next year or get a refund, should be either one or the other.
    It's creating work for themselves later in year when tickets go on sale again to check to see if people had purchased the early birds already and will be a nightmare for people who bought tickets on donedeal, gumtree etc which were bought online trying to get new tickets issued or refunded.

They have to offer the options. They want people to retain the tickets so they've got capital in the bank. However they're legally obliged to offer refunds. Same with every other reputable festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Jim Root wrote: »
    Feel sorry for all the temp workers who pick up gigs at these festivals. I don’t know what they are going to do to generate work for themselves, poor people.

Oh yeah, gutted for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement