Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭rubick

My favourite Leftfield memory is from Ulster Hall, Belfast, 2010. For some reason the gig hadn't sold particularly well, so the promoters (Shine Productions) put up a post on their then highly active messageboard (remember those) that they'd be giving out free passes. Basically everyone that went to Shine in those days was at the gig, plus hundreds more. I think it was the 20th Anniversary of Leftism or something, the atmosphere was phenomenal, as you'd expect for a free Leftfield gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

rubick wrote: »
    Alternative Light Source completely passed me by, must have a gleek over the weekend.

This got played a lot at the time - BBC6, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I thought Alternative Light Source in 2015 was really impressive, great guests too - Polica, Sleaford Mods, Tunde from TV on the Radio, etc). Their set in Vicar St on the night of the Repeal referendum was heavier than usual and had much less of Leftism than usual. Time to get them back to Stradbally.

And LCD or Despacio I'd welcome every year.

Yeah Leftfield put on a great gig at Body&Soul in 2015 and I thought Alternative Light Source was a banger of a record, not as good as their debut but still very good.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭rubick

I see Aerosmith have self-confirmed for that Glastonbury.
    Too big for the likes of us?

rubick wrote: »
    I see Aerosmith have self-confirmed for that Glastonbury.
    Too big for the likes of us?

To big for almost any other festival I'd say. Would be astonished for them to do any Irish fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Big capacity increase, Body and Soul replaced (!) and Mindfield moved to make space in the Main Arena. Big changes afoot...

Electric Picnic capacity to be expanded to 70,000 next year
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/electric-picnic-capacity-to-be-expanded-to-70-000-next-year-1.4107084

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Good God. What does it all mean. I don't know what to think. How can they replace Body and Soul?? Does that mean the Body and Soul crew are out? Help me understand, people.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They will want to change that whole arrangement of bar, stands, and toilets on the house side of the main stage.

The crush was terrifying last year and another 15,000 only makes that worse.

For one i definitely won't be bringing any kids next year, no matter who's playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

What......what have I just read??? Replaced body and soul?

Aw lads this is not good news

Well I'm hoping Avril is still involved and that its just Body&Soul Village rebranded as Mind&Body, I'm crossing my fingers now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Ahhh waiting to hear back on the licence explains the lack of info around ticket on sale dates.

"....Tickets go on sale on Monday priced at €290 for earlier arrivals on Thursday, €260 for a weekend pass from Friday and €100 for a day pass on the Sunday..."

The early pass has been integrated into the main ticket, which saves the double TM booking fees for those who buy Monday, for those who have tickets and want early entry will need to log on Monday to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Small baby steps!! Going from 57k to 70k is a huge increase and real potential for things to go wrong,
    Traffic management
    Crowd control
    To me they'll need more entry gates + wristband exchanges.
    Forest will be completely off limits
    The main stage area isnt big enough, imagine this year some of the really popular acts with another 25k
    Freetown could be an area for another large outdoor stage.
    RIP trenchtown I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Absolutely will RUIN EP even more than it has been

This was always on the cards with Livenation in charge.
    I said it earlier in the year that they would run the festival into the ground .

Absolutely will RUIN EP even more than it has been

70k is madness

Worse than oxygen ever was

Awful

Nice to see you're back to whine again. A yearly appearance despite not attending EP. Though more the fool me for responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seathrun66 what is your opinion on EP going to 70k attendance??

Zardoz wrote: »
    This was always on the cards with Livenation in charge.
    I said it earlier in the year that they would run the festival into the ground .

Fully agree

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Good God. What does it all mean. I don't know what to think. How can they replace Body and Soul?? Does that mean the Body and Soul crew are out? Help me understand, people.

Doesn't sound promising. We've been wrong about changes before but this appears pretty abrupt.

I've just posted on the B&S facebook page to seek clarification as it might just be a rebrand of the Body&Soul name - Mind&Body like what they do with their little corner at Latitude Festival they rebrand it Solas. I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

I've just posted on the B&S facebook page to seek clarification as it might just be a rebrand of the Body&Soul name - Mind&Soul like what they do with their little corner at Latitude Festival they rebrand it Solas. I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

Thank you BD. Doing gods work

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bit of a gamble for them to try to sell 70k odd tickets without a lineup announced. But I wouldnt be terribly surprised if they do.

Part of me thinks fair play to them, but its probably getting a bit big

• Advertisement

It’s 100 percent going to sell out

It’s the new oxygen.

Yawn

Well if its going to go to 70,000 it will be getting Oxegen type headliners just Hopefully not Calvin Harris or Dave Guetta anyways. :)

I’m expecting

Westlife on the sat

and boyzone on the Sunday the way things are going

Awful news

Or maybe shock :eek: Pearl Jam.

Happy to wager I’ve been more times than you

Probably not, but it's not a pis*ing contest. It's just seems pointless to yearly whinge online about a festival you don't go to.

I don't like the increase to 70k. I'd hate to see B&S be replaced. But I don't indulge in knee-jerk responses I've not seen enough detail for.

Anyway, am off to a gig now. Clockworks again. With Alan McGee & his entourage hugging the walls of the Roisin. If anyone can break a band.....

Probably not, but it's not a pis*ing contest. It's just seems pointless to yearly whinge online about a festival you don't go to.

I don't like the increase to 70k. I'd hate to see B&S be replaced. But I don't indulge in knee-jerk responses I've not seen enough detail for.

Anyway, am off to a gig now. Clockworks again. With Alan McGee & his entourage hugging the walls of the Roisin. If anyone can break a band.....

Look all messing aside I ageee with your comments here. I just think 70k is way too much of an increase. I wanted EP to stay as a 20-25 k event with indie/alternative acts. But it looks like times have changed

Enjoy the gig !

Don't forget in the early hours at Commercial Boat Club at Woodquay, the meeting of the reggae sound systems Seath, would go myself but I'm fed up with these lineups, its all the same guys. Would prefer to go and see someone like Sly&Robbie or Linton Kwesi Johnson, I find Irish reggae has become quite stagnant sometimes.

Look all messing aside I ageee with your comments here. I just think 70k is way too much of an increase. I wanted EP to stay as a 20-25 k event with indie/alternative acts. But it looks like times have changed

Enjoy the gig !

Thanks man. And have a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

That's a bit of jump and a lot of changes for 1 year, I'll hold fire until the Monday after EP, if it feels wrong I'll probably jump ship to the new Saltwater festival, lot earlier in the year but the lineup for this year so far is very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Bloody hell...that is a lot to take in, but surely the admission that more areas are needed is a good thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement