Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

endainoz wrote: »
    In hindsight, we should have realized the addition of Freetown was an early indication of a massive crowd increase incoming.

Totally agree, there's plenty of space in Freetown to be utilised this year. It was nice to get served pints in record time as there were no queues there. I would like to see more acts play in Freetown, especially on the Friday.

I found the main arena was less congested than previous years although the same problems remained at the entry to the main stage by the bar/toilets/seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cjdennis29

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7tcX6rgO-A/

Nicolas Jaar releasing a new Against All Logic EP next week. Would adore a house set by him at le picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

".....The Chemical Brothers have just won two awards at this year's GRAMMYs.

The prolific duo won the award for Best Dance Album with their ninth studio LP, 'No Geography' as well as the accolade for Best Dance Recording with 'Got To Keep On'....."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Dont worry, plenty of time for some chin stroking at the more alternative acts over the weekend

easy now

https://www.instagram.com/p/B70tPZzHKJX/?igshid=182k5zkq05afv

Forbidden Fruit lineup shown on the back of a merch shirt. Anyone got good enough eyes to read it? I can see Jorja Smith and Hot Chip, as well as the four already announced acts.

EDIT: Peggy Gou also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

cjdennis29 wrote: »

Forbidden Fruit lineup shown on the back of a merch shirt. Anyone got good enough eyes to read it? I can see Jorja Smith and Hot Chip, as well as the four already announced acts.

The Murder Capital, Alex Gough, Model Man and those mentioned/ announced. Looks like they've scaled back gradually over the past few years unfortunately, it does have "Plus Many More" at the end of it too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I got bored of Hot Chip playing EP (see also LCD by 2010 - big error) but their last album was great and a reappearance would go down very well. Alas not in 2020 it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I got bored of Hot Chip playing EP (see also LCD by 2010 - big error) but their last album was great and a reappearance would go down very well. Alas not in 2020 it seems.

phenomenal at ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Michael Kiwanuka supported by Brittany Howard at Trinity. Decent night out.

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Michael Kiwanuka supported by Brittany Howard at Trinity. Decent night out.

Almost certainly means both doing Glastonbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

mimimcmc wrote: »

Also playing the Olympia on the 3rd of October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Seathrun66 wrote: »

There was a year in Electric Arena where there was a huge crush near the centre of the crowd, took us a good 10 minutes to work our way out. Haven't been bothered with them since then despite them being almost an ever-present feature at a rake of festivals we've been at. Didn't even bother with them at ATN last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭endainoz

mimimcmc wrote: »

Well it would only be rude not to go down the road to see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Avalanches playing at forbidden fruit makes me sad.

This is the start of it now!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7354NuBsw0/?igshid=yfa203918evp

full Forbidden Fruit lineup
    Jorja Smith and Underworld headlining

they've def toned it down a bit this year in terms of starpower and festival length - especially considering it's their 10th anniversary - but still a really good lineup imo

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

they've def toned it down a bit this year in terms of starpower and festival length - especially considering it's their 10th anniversary - but still a really good lineup imo

The lineup seems as strong as previous years Underworld are worthy headliners with Hot Chip support is strong

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

The lineup seems as strong as previous years Underworld are worthy headliners with Hot Chip support is strong

The Avalanches too, would be a lot of fun I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

"+ many more to be announced across 5 stages"

"+ many more to be announced across 5 stages"

I doubt they'll announce a big act tbh, with most festivals that usually means a load of sub-headliners.

And when I said toned down a bit, I meant nobody on the same level of popularity as previous years: no Aphex, Bon Iver, Vince Staples, Skepta, Justice etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rfrip wrote: »
    Avalanches playing at forbidden fruit makes me sad.

This is the start of it now!

If its any consolation I heard that their performances from the last few years has been lacklustre and fairly average, so don't know if yer missing too much anyway, they seemed to be billed below Murder Capital, so fair play to Murder Capital, it looks like they are on the way up. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

If its any consolation I heard that their performances from the last few years has been lacklustre and fairly average, so don't know if yer missing too much anyway, they seemed to be billed below Murder Capital, so fair play to Murder Capital, it looks like they are on the way up. :)

They played a 50 min set in the Olympia a few years ago. Extremely disappointing.

sweetie wrote: »
    They played a 50 min set in the Olympia a few years ago. Extremely disappointing.

Thank you both, I feel better now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Rfrip wrote: »
    Thank you both, I feel better now :)

Saw them in 2017 in Lisbon, amazing party. Live singers and musicians. Was top.

Def looking forward to seeing them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I doubt they'll announce a big act tbh, with most festivals that usually means a load of sub-headliners.

And when I said toned down a bit, I meant nobody on the same level of popularity as previous years: no Aphex, Bon Iver, Vince Staples, Skepta, Justice etc

And, Tbf, its also been reduced from three days to two so even if there's some decent stuff to come, it has literally been scaled back a day already.

Decent announcement, though. Not sure I'd spring for a ticket on the back of it as some play quite regularly and others have played quite recently but its a bit more interesting than I expected.

Loving the Green Man lineup, close in time to EP but traditionally little crossover. Again a fair few Irish acts (Murder Capital, Sinead O'Brien, Aoife Nessa Frances, etc) so I'd expect them in Stradbally.

Caribou, Black Midi, Lucinda Williams, Sudan Archives, Nadine Shah, Richard Dawson and plenty of others would also be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Just chatting about Caribou last night, new material in the offing. Has he ever played the Picnic?

Would love Giant Swan, Kokoroko, Thundercat, Moon Duo (!), and Steam Down too.
    Will be catching Lankum supporting Beak> in the Button Factory next week, report to follow!

rubick wrote: »
    Just chatting about Caribou last night, new material in the offing. Has he ever played the Picnic?

Will be catching Lankum supporting Beak> in the Button Factory next week, report to follow!

I don’t think...he was in Galway two years ago and was amazing, he’s in Dublin during the summer alright so doubt he will appear at ep

rubick wrote: »

Played in 2010 and did a DJ set with Four Tet in 2012. Missed both.

Reliably great live. Excellent at the Galway Arts Fest two years ago. Though good news regarding new tunes as he's not changed his setlist since 2014.

• Advertisement

An underwhelming lineup for me. Bodes well for EP and ATN. Some goodies though, and The Avalanches with a full babd could be special. Surprised they're so low-key on the poster.

And can I recommend Turnstiles, a great punk band from Westside in Galway. They scraped onto the list. In the same vein as Touts, possibly better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement