Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

If its any consolation I heard that their performances from the last few years has been lacklustre and fairly average, so don't know if yer missing too much anyway, they seemed to be billed below Murder Capital, so fair play to Murder Capital, it looks like they are on the way up. :)

I caught them at Field Day in London about 4/5 years ago. As bad a gig as I've seen in the last decade. But probably not their fault as they had to basically do a DJ set after their babd were denied visas for the UK. Expect more of this with Brexit. Their playing of the tracks was erratic with gaps and jerky changes of pace. An unadulterated balls up.

But reports from the Oz shows with the full band are pretty glorious.. All depends who's going to turn up in Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

1741130535_ScreenShot2020-01-29at11_26_37.thumb.png.0d8d107ee6ae113c9331b6ccfafa50ae.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Goldfrapp, lads.
    Oooft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Greenman lineup looks like a sloppy seconds End of the Road lineup. Although Otoboke Beaver are on there.

The Nal wrote: »
    The Greenman lineup looks like a sloppy seconds End of the Road lineup. Although Otoboke Beaver are on there.

Pretty similar I'd say, and a few shared acts. Green Man does it more for me but I'd be happy with either. Big chance now of Mac DeMarco and Lucinda Williams at EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    The Avalanches too, would be a lot of fun I think.

"that boy needs therapy"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

rubick wrote: »
    Just chatting about Caribou last night, new material in the offing. Has he ever played the Picnic?

Would love Giant Swan, Kokoroko, Thundercat, Moon Duo (!), and Steam Down too.
    Will be catching Lankum supporting Beak> in the Button Factory next week, report to follow!

Is that not just a Radie Peat solo set?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Goldfrapp, lads.
    Oooft.

ooooooooh, alison....

oooooooooOOOOOOOoooooh alison.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The Nal wrote: »

not heard of them before, they would be an absolute hoot!

sweetie wrote: »
    Is that not just a Radie Peat solo set?
    You're quite correct, I was reading the wrong event page. D'oh!

Look lads, someone else is going to have to do the fieldwork on Lankum, I'm flat out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Played in 2010 and did a DJ set with Four Tet in 2012. Missed both.

Reliably great live. Excellent at the Galway Arts Fest two years ago. Though good news regarding new tunes as he's not changed his setlist since 2014.

Ah Jaysus I missed him twice!!!

Look lads, someone else is going to have to do the fieldwork on Lankum, I'm flat out here.

I'm still looking forward to the gig, I'm sure she will be good

Never seen them but the live reports from New Years Eve at the Roisin were full of superlatives. I don't fully get why they're so loved but it's probably a live thing. I'd be very surprised if they weren't doing at least one of ATN and EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Never seen them but the live reports from New Years Eve at the Roisin were full of superlatives. I don't fully get why they're so loved but it's probably a live thing. I'd be very surprised if they weren't doing at least one of ATN and EP.

What they (Lankum) do works much better live, versus listening to the album.
    They're not the pure drop or anything, but i'd highly recommend catching them live if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Booked for ATN I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rfrip wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus I missed him twice!!!

Played Body&Soul festival in 2015 I think too and Forbidden Fruit in 2011. The time he played EP in 2010 I think he closed the Body&Soul main stage on the Sunday night or was it the Orb, maybe the Orb after him.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Played Body&Soul festival in 2015 I think too and Forbidden Fruit in 2011. The time he played EP in 2010 I think he closed the Body&Soul main stage on the Sunday night or was it the Orb, maybe the Orb after him.

Oh yes!! I say him at body and soul that year!! He was amazing!!cant do without you was just out

Funny what the mind forgets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭LowOdour

What they (Lankum) do works much better live, versus listening to the album.
    They're not the pure drop or anything, but i'd highly recommend catching them live if you can.

Their albums are pretty special all the same...would kill for them at EP this year.

They (as Lynched) closed out Other Voices on the Sunday night in 2016...was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭endainoz

I have tried but I just can't get into them. They should be a folk act I'd love but the Dublinese folkyness goes straight through my head.

From the out there folk acts point of view, I'm a big fan of Lisa O' Neill. Would love to see her live. I suppose I prefer the Cavan accent than the Dublin one!

It's well past time Dr. Paterson was back to Stradbally. They haven't even included Belfast in recent tours for the past few years, which is where I've seen them the most. Lack of Thomas Felhmann is a bit of a shame, not sure what the live set-up with Michael Rendall is these days. Wasn't overly keen on 'No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds', there were a few classic Orb moments on there; I feel it will be one of those Orb cuts like 'Bicycles & Tricycles' or 'Cydonia' that you aren't keen on at first then love when you listen back a few years later. Really looking forward to 'Abolition of the Royal Familia' later in the Spring.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    I have tried but I just can't get into them. They should be a folk act I'd love but the Dublinese folkyness goes straight through my head.

From the out there folk acts point of view, I'm a big fan of Lisa O' Neill. Would love to see her live. I suppose I prefer the Cavan accent than the Dublin one!

Ditto on that. I'm struggling to understand all the acclaim though I've also been wanting to see them live for some time.

Lisa O'Neill very good and Daoiri Farrell is one folkie Dub that's very impressive.

Could see all three at EP this year.

Say The Orb three times and they appear on a line-up near EP!
    https://www.beautifuldays.org/

Ditto on that. I'm struggling to understand all the acclaim though I've also been wanting to see them live for some time.

Lisa O'Neill very good and Daoiri Farrell is one folkie Dub that's very impressive.

Yes, Daoiri Farrell is fantastic, think I may have said it here before but he did one of the best live versions of Galway shawl I had ever heard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

endainoz wrote: »

I had typed up a long tortured post trying to explain, to myself as much as to anybody else, why I like Lisa O Neill so much and at the same time absolutely cannot stand Lankum, even though the similarities are so clear. I don't think it is a Dublin/Cavan thing though.

My best guess is that Lankum come across to me as fake, like people putting on a dirge voice because it's super edgy and hipster, whereas Lisa O Neill seems to actually like that style of music and understands the songs she sings and has a range of emotions. Some of Lisa's songs have a bit of whimsy to them, but Lankum always sound so miserable.

Very hard to quantify, but there is something compelling about Lisa O Neill, while Lankum make my skin crawl. It's very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

.... Some of Lisa's songs have a bit of whimsy to them, but Lankum always sound so miserable.

Very hard to quantify, but there is something compelling about Lisa O Neill, while Lankum make my skin crawl. It's very strange!

Nailed it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Say The Orb three times and they appear on a line-up near EP!
    https://www.beautifuldays.org/

And the Levellers. Would be awesome on a sunny Sunday!

I had typed up a long tortured post trying to explain, to myself as much as to anybody else, why I like Lisa O Neill so much and at the same time absolutely cannot stand Lankum, even though the similarities are so clear. I don't think it is a Dublin/Cavan thing though.

My best guess is that Lankum come across to me as fake, like people putting on a dirge voice because it's super edgy and hipster, whereas Lisa O Neill seems to actually like that style of music and understands the songs she sings and has a range of emotions. Some of Lisa's songs have a bit of whimsy to them, but Lankum always sound so miserable.

It's not that often we are all in agreement about something music wise! That's exactly how I feel about them too!

Lisa has that voice that you just need to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Not since the great teenager kicking outbreak of '15 has there been such unity on the boards. God bless you, Lankum. Miserable bastards.

Personally I'd take Lankum over Lisa (or Junior Brother for that matter) though I've not heard much of any of them. A couple of tracks was enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Not sure its being miserable (think a certain mr Morrissey) that makes them hard to listen to them but there is definitely something that does. May be critically acclaimed but not to my liking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement