Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

You're all bastards. Lankum are great, their wild rover version is the best thing to happen ****ey irish trad, well, ever. Finally made it worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭endainoz

BadTurtle wrote: »
    You're all bastards. Lankum are great, their wild rover version is the best thing to happen ****ey irish trad, well, ever. Finally made it worth a listen.

I wouldn't say they have much to do for trad. The folk scene for sure, but two very different things.

Anyway they are still sh1te. I genuinely tried to listen to them, but they're just not for me.

Oh I assume you meant "sh1tey" Irish trad? Fairly ignorant opinion, it's a pity you dismiss the scene so quickly. The standard these days is so ridiculously high.

To each their own and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've heard Lisa O Neil being interviewed, and was compared to Maggie Barry, and asked if she inspired her. Lisa never even heard of her until she had been performing a while. She was into 'normal' music and just found her own path as she went along. This isn't a criticism (I think she's fantastic), It just shows you don't need to be steeped in the tradition to be seen as authentic i guess.

On the other hand Lynched / Lankum cite Frank Harte and Dominic Behan as sources of inspiration in an interview I heard a while back.
    The Lynch boys were always into punk, and perhaps that mindset informed how the interpret and play folk. I have to say I really like them.

Junior Brother on the other hand... Maybe i need to listen harder, but i'm not feeling it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Everyone's saying folk this, and trad that.
    But no-ones saying jungle this, and ambient house that.

I feel we're losing touch with reality here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I've heard Lisa O Neil being interviewed, and was compared to Maggie Barry, and asked if she inspired her. Lisa never even heard of her until she had been performing a while. She was into 'normal' music and just found her own path as she went along. This isn't a criticism (I think she's fantastic), It just shows you don't need to be steeped in the tradition to be seen as authentic i guess.

On the other hand Lynched / Lankum cite Frank Harte and Dominic Behan as sources of inspiration in an interview I heard a while back.
    The Lynch boys were always into punk, and perhaps that mindset informed how the interpret and play folk. I have to say I really like them.

Junior Brother on the other hand... Maybe i need to listen harder, but i'm not feeling it at all.

Same here with Junior Brother. Can't get into him. Nice kid, have chatted briefly to him a couple of times as he plays in Galway a lot as on Strange Brew records, but struggling with the music both recorded and live.

Lankum could very well change my mind in a live setting, haven't heard anything but great reports.

And what about a trad stage at EP? There's an audience for it if Rubick is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I also struggle with Junior Brother. I just don't get it.

EP has never really had a strong folk element and I can't see that changing considering the recent (not quite subtle) change of target demographic.

Having said that, would gladly welcome Sam Lee on the B&S amphitheatre main stage on a sunny afternoon.

A folk stage would be fantastic, but imagine if we got Lisa O Neill on the Hazelwood stage or in spike island? Would definitely work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There's always been plenty of trad, the Gael tent in mindfield, Hazelwood had some good stuff last year, the haunt and other small spots in b+s, I even saw a group of uillean pipers play at the Heineken 'craft' bar a few years ago, but having a
    dedicated folk / trad spot on site would be class.

This and an old school indie disco spot would make me a very happy bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Aha! Momentum for the indie disco gathers pace! Came across several great folk and trad combos in Spike Island last year, great craic. Lisa probably a bit big for that. Hazelwood could make for a brilliant dedicated area. I think it could do with a bit more focus, it has lots of potential. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, it could be thriving, I don't think I've been lured in since Cathy Davey 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Aha! Momentum for the indie disco gathers pace! Came across several great folk and trad combos in Spike Island last year, great craic. Lisa probably a bit big for that. Hazelwood could make for a brilliant dedicated area. I think it could do with a bit more focus, it has lots of potential. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, it could be thriving, I don't think I've been lured in since Cathy Davey 3 years ago.

Yes it's all coming together! I saw some cool slam poetry there one time As gailge and it was really cool, maybe Hazelwood will make a nice refuge from the giant crowds that will the there this year. I nominate BD to curate the stage, and to bring in the Haunt while he's at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I can actually see Hazelwood doing "Boards Thread Indie Disco" slot.

No Cans, No Entry.
    Drink 8 Cans and WIN a Can!*
    Anyway, here's Sultans of Ping.

*Whilst stocks last

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

EP has never really had a strong folk element and I can't see that changing considering the recent (not quite subtle) change of target demographic.

Having said that, would gladly welcome Sam Lee on the B&S amphitheatre main stage on a sunny afternoon.

There's always been plenty but divided between different areas - Other Voices, Oxjam Tent, Trailer Park, Mindfield trad stages, Body & Soul Various stages and a fair bit of main arena stuff. David Keenan is folk, Christy Moore, Kila (twice), Paul Brady, LAPD (Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine, etc), Latchikos, a Radiohead covering band from Galway called Tradiohead (excellent) and loads more. It's mainly folky in that new place opposite Terminus.

There'll likely be loads on this year too, just scattered. If unsure where it's at just follow Rubick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Thank god it's not just me, JNR brother goes through me like a jackknife, he's music is probably brilliant but the voice just grates on me.

Poorside wrote: »
    Thank god it's not just me, JNR brother goes through me like a jackknife, he's music is probably brilliant but the voice just grates on me.

That hungover at Mass song is fun though, relatable time from my late teens!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

sweetie wrote:
    Personally I'd take Lankum over Lisa (or Junior Brother for that matter) though I've not heard much of any of them. A couple of tracks was enough for me.

I love traditional music and have a problem with all 3. Look at the Unthanks, Gloaming etc for how to do it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well sure isn't that the beauty of the Irish music scene these days, the stunning range and variety of it? The likes of Junior Brother is having the effect that Damien Dempsey had when he appeared, some people are horrified by the individuality of the accent and delivery. I saw him in a tent at ATN and he had the place in the palm of his hand. I think the individuality of the stuff coming out of this country at the moment is marvellous. There's something in there for everyone. Good luck to them all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

The Gloaming are a misery to listen to, stick on R na G on the radio and you'll here something less tedious and morose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BadTurtle wrote: »
    The Gloaming are a misery to listen to, stick on R na G on the radio and you'll here something less tedious and morose

The Gloaming have their merits, some great trad musicians and singer Iarla O'Lionard but I still prefer him with the Afro Celt Sound System. I think Body&Soul Festival made a mistake though having the Gloaming closing the main stage on the Friday in 2016, they'd be more suited to an indoor type performance, we needed something more thumpy like the Afro Celts. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

The Gloaming have their merits, some great trad musicians and singer Iarla O'Lionard but I still prefer him with the Afro Celt Sound System. I think Body&Soul Festival made a mistake though having the Gloaming closing the main stage on the Friday in 2016, they'd be more suited to an indoor type performance, we needed something more thumpy like the Afro Celts. :)

Yeah an outdoor setting wouldn't suit them too well. More of a concert hall type of an act. Nothing like getting lost in a big long meandering Marin Hayes fiddle solo though.

RING THE BELLS

Splendour Festival, Nottingham, 18th July 2020
    https://www.splendourfestival.com/line-up/

James supposedly not touring this year, so this is quite a boast.
    Legions of the Daisy t-shirted are investigating as we speak, more updates as they occur.

UPDATE: Confirmed! James on the festival circuit this summer it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

See them last week in the Olympia - a bit meh (sadly)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I hope this Coronavirus scare dies down, Galway 2020 official opening on the 8th and the bleeding election too, all we need is one punter showing up with it. Hopefully it dies down and its alright to go summer festivaling, keeping my eyes peeled tho on the thread in Current Affairs. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Planman82

Hi all! Apologies for the random question but I was wondering do eco campsite have their own showers or do we have to go to the general campsite showers to freshen up? Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Planman82 wrote: »
    Hi all! Apologies for the random question but I was wondering do eco campsite have their own showers or do we have to go to the general campsite showers to freshen up? Thanks everyone

Last year they didn't have showers; the only showers available were on the Hendrix side of the campsite, which made for a long walk.
    They did however have a hosepipe for the more adventurous, of which I was not one.:eek:

With the increased capacity I would really hope that there is either a second shower location, or showers within the ECO campsite, as its a real pain to have to walk all the way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Planman82 wrote: »

No showers in past years. I did hear somewhere they were trying to get showers in for the 2020 festival but not sure how reliable this is.
    If you're feeling brave theres usually an outdoor cold hose pipe, have seen people in swimming gear use it.

I assume the eco will stay in the same location for 2020, it's become prime area since the introduction of Freetown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Mucker46

rubick wrote: »
    RING THE BELLS

Splendour Festival, Nottingham, 18th July 2020
    https://www.splendourfestival.com/line-up/

James supposedly not touring this year, so this is quite a boast.
    Legions of the Daisy t-shirted are investigating as we speak, more updates as they occur.

UPDATE: Confirmed! James on the festival circuit this summer it would seem.

Ah Rubick dont be doing that to me had ruled them out but now a flicker of hope which will grow to a bonfire until last announcement has been lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

I see FKA Twigs is touring this summer but has no irish gigs yet, she surely must be very likely for EP or ATN.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

endainoz wrote: »
    That hungover at Mass song is fun though, relatable time from my late teens!

Don't get him at all. But I'm happy to attribute that to the fact that I am old and my brain can't handle another pretentious singer songwriter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement