Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

I hope not

Is it to real fur ye ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

RATM the biggest booking in fest's history? Gotta be IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Wooderson wrote: »
    RATM the biggest booking in fest's history? Gotta be IMO.

Bjork, Prodigy would be as big surely. Others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Bjork, Prodigy would be as big surely. Others?

The Strokes? Kendrick, blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Biggest just in terms of fan base in Ireland?

The following popped into my head straight away - the Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish.

The latter two have the two biggest crowds in EP history (according to Melvin Benn anyway) so can't be left out. Killers weren't at their absolute peak when they were booked but they always draw huge crowds to live shows (Lord knows why!) and Arctic Monkeys (Strokes too, to an extent) have that perma indie popularity.

Also Kendrick Lamar, Blur in 2015, Outkast and the Cure.

No point in ranking these because there's no way to prove any of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'd say The Killers would definitely be the biggest, in terms of mainstream appeal/tickets shifted in Ireland.

The following popped into my head straight away - the Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish.

The latter two have the two biggest crowds in EP history (according to Melvin Benn anyway) so can't be left out. Killers weren't at their absolute peak when they were booked but they always draw huge crowds to live shows (Lord knows why!) and Arctic Monkeys (Strokes too, to an extent) have that perma indie popularity.

In terms of fanbase in Ireland - nah. Then your broad appeal acts like the Killers of this world is always gonna be ahead, sure. In terms of profile and scarcity this is a real coup for the fest. Puts the fest on a map its not been on to date IMO. I'd agree with you on Blur to a certain extent. 30 year career and exclusive Irish date. A nice catch for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Janet Jackson is doing a European tour...I’d have a wander over to her if she was on main stage at around 5ish on the Sunday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Given that Bluedot is a UK exclusive for her, I've pretty much convinced myself that Bjork will be playing EP now, no further questions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

2 young ones that have released an album each are two of the biggest acts to play ep? Aye,alright pal. Big attendances because the place is full of kids and they're the new thing on the block. Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath of others that have headlined/played in the last years

• Advertisement

I suppose Duran Duran are pretty big .. or at least they were at their peak.

What is it, 6 dates in Europe for them on this tour? I'd wager the secondary market will indicate the level of interest. Could be wrong of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

declanleo wrote: »
    2 young ones that have released an album each are two of the biggest acts to play ep? Aye,alright pal. Big attendances because the place is full of kids and they're the new thing on the block. Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath of others that have headlined/played in the last years

How do you measure it so, pal? Biggest crowds the festival has seen according to the organisers.

I'm not a fan of either but the festival is bigger now than it ever has been and those are the biggest acts playing it.

Do kids not count as an audience?

It's hardly an important metric - big acts aren't necessarily good or not - but I'd love to know who else counts as the "biggest acts" who have played, since that was the Q.

Kendrick, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish are three of the biggest acts in the world at the moment and they've all played Laois in the midst of that height. That wasn't the case with a lot of other acts playing - take Blur, another band I suggested. They were a coup for the festival and an undeniably big band. But they also played 10/15 years after they were at their biggest, not at their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

When do we anticipate the next announcement? Friday perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭endainoz

BigMo1 wrote: »

If say they'll tell us when the announcement is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BigMo1 wrote: »

I'd honestly expect mid march as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'd love to know who else counts as the "biggest acts" who have played, since that was the Q.

Mr. Plant a few years back. In terms of absolute size, he was in ****ing Zepplin man!

All about the announcement that there's going to be an announcement of the announcement.

*MATRIX GLITCH*

Ah lads .. calm the sh1t down. Big act .. small act .. what's the definition of big act? who cares?

I would hazard a guess that of all our favourite EP / festival moments have nothing to do with so called big acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ah lads .. calm the sh1t down. Big act .. small act .. what's the definition of big act? who cares?

I would hazard a guess that of all our favourite EP / festival moments have nothing to do with so called big acts.

Except for this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Mr. Plant a few years back. In terms of absolute size, he was in ****ing Zepplin man!
    yeah, but did they ever do 5 nights at the 3Arena? I think not.

Picture This > Led Zeppelin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Ed Sheeran is the biggest act to have played

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The Strokes? Kendrick, blur.

Arcade Fire, Cure, LCD Soundsystem, The Killers and several other acts that have headlined Glastonbury or Coachella.

How do we define big?

Is Rag'n'Bone Man the BIGGEST act on the main stage? Was a good gig actually.

showpony1 wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran is the biggest act to have played

Remeber him in one of the tents... dreadful he was.

Wooderson wrote: »
    In terms of fanbase in Ireland - nah. Then your broad appeal acts like the Killers of this world is always gonna be ahead, sure. In terms of profile and scarcity this is a real coup for the fest. Puts the fest on a map its not been on to date IMO. I'd agree with you on Blur to a certain extent. 30 year career and exclusive Irish date. A nice catch for EP.

It's a coup for EP, but there have been twenty others in its lifetime. Highest album position in the UK is number 4 and they're not big enough to headline the Pyramid at Glastonbury. If they're there their slot will headlining the Other Stage.

Glasto headliners at EP include Blur, Florence & the Machine, Chemical Brothers, The Killers, Kendrick Lamar, Arcade Fire, The Cure, The Prodigy, Basement Jaxx, Arctic Monkeys and a few others now past their prime (Ash, Manic Street Preachers, etc).

Rage are a top booking but no need to go overboard on it.

How do you measure it so, pal? Biggest crowds the festival has seen according to the organisers.

I'm not a fan of either but the festival is bigger now than it ever has been and those are the biggest acts playing it.

Do kids not count as an audience?

It's hardly an important metric - big acts aren't necessarily good or not - but I'd love to know who else counts as the "biggest acts" who have played, since that was the Q.

Kendrick, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish are three of the biggest acts in the world at the moment and they've all played Laois in the midst of that height. That wasn't the case with a lot of other acts playing - take Blur, another band I suggested. They were a coup for the festival and an undeniably big band. But they also played 10/15 years after they were at their biggest, not at their peak.

A agree entirely with all your points bar the Blur one. They headlined Glastonbury in 2009 and are perennially mentioned as potential return headliners. Very possible for 2021. They headlined EP in 2015 and Coachella in 2013. Still at their peak in terms of demand I would say.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Rage are a top booking but no need to go overboard on it.

It's too late, we're all-in on this! There were heads crowd surfing in an inflatable dingy last year at Salty Dog - I suspect we're gonna need a bigger boat.

• Advertisement

How do we define big?

Is Rag'n'Bone Man the BIGGEST act on the main stage? Was a good gig actually.

He was pretty decent wasn't he. I caught the last 20 mins and was pleased to have my prejudices overturned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement