Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

rubick wrote: »
    It's too late, we're all-in on this! There were heads crowd surfing in an inflatable dingy last year at Salty Dog - I suspect we're gonna need a bigger boat.

Ha ha, class man. Happy they're playing but saying it takes EP to another level is slightly hysterical, though I'm please for anyone for whom this is a special booking.

I'm not a fan of Rage, find it all too samey but I'll be in the moshpit for this one. Could be a very big EP moment. The band, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

From my EP going years (2013 onwards) I felt like Kendrick Lamar was the 'biggest' act to play EP. There weren't/aren't many acts bigger than him when he played. I didn't actually realise how big RATM are until they were announced the other day, but still think it is a weird decision to book them when so many of their fans can't go.

From my EP going years (2013 onwards) I felt like Kendrick Lamar was the 'biggest' act to play EP. There weren't/aren't many acts bigger than him when he played. I didn't actually realise how big RATM are until they were announced the other day, but still think it is a weird decision to book them when so many of their fans can't go.

With 70k tickets many will come online and the Rage fans will make their way. Hopefully by paying face value in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

This is what I thought. Good booking, fair enough. But I don't think RATM were even all that big in their day, never mind now. I would imagne that Duran Duran, Bjork, Prodigy, The Cure, New Order have all sold more records that RATM, if that's what we define as big.

I get it that they haven't played in years and it is a good booking, but no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

biggest / best etc etc
    its all in the eye of the beholder

Billie & Dua are indeed some of the biggest acts in the world
    have they been around forever? no, does it matter? maybe not,
    also its all relative to current success and visibility,
    Good point made before about picture this and Zep,

I listen to everything from Billie Holliday to black metal and everything in between and I was "losing my sh*t" when billie was announced
    and it was the no 1 on my must see list last year, that may make some here cringe but it love her
    vive le difference!

a lot of people want the latest & greatest and are thats their interest
    a lot would be negative about old established bands,
    ("those tired old hacks" etc etc)
    I think its fair to say The Cure are one of the best live bands ever
    but tell that to a 18-25 yr old, they would be less than agreeable
    to have 3 hours of the cure on the main stage and i understand that,
    same way many here are stoked for Rage whereas many wont even bother going to them, same way the coronas stuffed the EA last year but i'd rather bleed my piles with a soldering iron.

as we all know they will sell it out every year and it may well become out and out pop festival, its bums on seats, they dont care if its more discerning music fans in their 30s/ 40s or kids, the kids are the future of the festival
    when our knees, backs or entire bodies retire us from EP!

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

...the coronas stuffed the EA last year but i'd rather bleed my piles with a soldering iron.

Mantra!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Can we move on from this whole Rage debate and get back to speculation of the next acts to be announced :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It's a coup for EP, but there have been twenty others in its lifetime. Highest album position in the UK is number 4 and they're not big enough to headline the Pyramid at Glastonbury. If they're there their slot will headlining the Other Stage.

Glasto headliners at EP include Blur, Florence & the Machine, Chemical Brothers, The Killers, Kendrick Lamar, Arcade Fire, The Cure, The Prodigy, Basement Jaxx, Arctic Monkeys and a few others now past their prime (Ash, Manic Street Preachers, etc).

Rage are a top booking but no need to go overboard on it.

Ha - im not going overboard. Charts mean little to most people nowadays. And Glasters headliners can be an outlier in many respects. RATM headlining everywhere else they play this year. Michael has his issues with heavy rock. I doubt many would have issues had they been announced as headliners above Swift or Kendrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Festival Republic deal needed another big slot to pay them along with R+L and Lollapoloza Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

...a few others now past their prime (..., Manic Street Preachers, ...). .

You wash your mouth out with soap right now!

...clutches pearls etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I think the definition of a massive super star act in our case is less about talent, more about being so high profile, someone whom we just felt would never play due to them being;
    A: So in demand that the stairs would need to align in order for them to be anywhere near the region to even consider a booking.
    B: An act that's perceived as so costly its almost beyond the festivals budget.
    C: An act that's hugely popular and highly likely to get snapped up by a different promotion company for standalone gig.
    D: An act that are truly worthy of playing the main stage, they're gracing us with their presence and we almost feel lucky to be there.
    E: An act that's almost guaranteed as a "once off" or very unlikely to return.

As well as all of the above they need to fit the profile of the festival to a certain degree.

To name a few specifically;
    RATM
    Kendrick Lamar
    Blur
    Dua and Billie (Dont tick all boxes above but are heavily weighted in others)
    The Prodigy
    The killers (I remember the uproar on here when they were booked as many felt they didnt match the profile of the festival)
    Outkast &Beck (Ep were really on the ball with this booking)
    Beastie Boys
    Sex Pistols
    Wu-Tang Clan
    Duran Duran

Wooderson wrote: »
    Ha - im not going overboard. Charts mean little to most people nowadays. And Glasters headliners can be an outlier in many respects. RATM headlining everywhere else they play this year. Michael has his issues with heavy rock. I doubt many would have issues had they been announced as headliners above Swift or Kendrick.

Generally you've to sell a lot more records than RATM have to get to be a Glasto headliner. But personally I'd have had no objections to then being a headliner alongside Swift and Lamar but not sure if they'd have the pulling power for a field that holds 110-120k people. Headlining the second stage which holds 60-70K seems more appropriate.

But I really don't want to spoil your buzz, am delighted with them as a first headliner as I was fearful for this years top acts. Their booking is a good sign, add in Tame Impala, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire or similar and we'll be having a top notch weekend.

You wash your mouth out with soap right now!

...clutches pearls etc...

Ha ha. No, no, apologies, I don't mean their live or recording prime (Futurology was superb, RTF and RIF also very good) but their ability to headline the big festivals. Means we get to see them a lot more so something to be thankful for.

You go to their Bon Jovi gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Generally you've to sell a lot more records than RATM have to get to be a Glasto headliner. But personally I'd have had no objections to then being a headliner alongside Swift and Lamar but not sure if they'd have the pulling power for a field that holds 110-120k people. Headlining the second stage which holds 60-70K seems more appropriate.

But I really don't want to spoil your buzz, am delighted with them as a first headliner as I was fearful for this years top acts. Their booking is a good sign, add in Tame Impala, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire or similar and we'll be having a top notch weekend.

Youre not spoiling my buzz at all - respect your opinion. My apols if I've stepped out of line.

I'd have RATM over at least a dozen headliners i've watched in Michael's field. Not having a ticket for the first time in nearly 20 years has me quite pleased with goings on in Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Kings of Leon a possibility

Snarky Snark Snark

Ha ha. No, no, apologies, I don't mean their live or recording prime (Futurology was superb, RTF and RIF also very good) but their ability to headline the big festivals. Means we get to see them a lot more so something to be thankful for.

You go to their Bon Jovi gig?

Lord no, love them but cannot abide jovi, saw them in the Olympia for the TIMTTMY gig.

They've a bunch of summer gigs announced though right up to Aug 30th so got to be a chance of them being on the list again this year, 2015 was their last visit to EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

A pal of mine in his 20s says to me the other day.."Will be interesting to see how they (RATM) go down at EP." suggesting the younger audience Billie Eilish/Dua Lipa fans wont get it..(i appreciate both btw)..i was like WTF in my head but kept my mouth shut..
    My introduction to RATM live was as a very underage teenager arriving into Thurles on a train for Feile to a sea of crazies and some mad oul one saying Do yas want pints lads get in there,(pointing at a side lane to her pub,,) so the garda dont see yas..3 hours later and 4 pints of illicit bulmers (with ice!) we found ourselves in the first few rows in Semple Stadium and they were literally the best thing id ever seen in my (then) short life!
    So yeah its down to how old you are.. but this oul lad(now 40s) gonna be just as excited when that air raid siren goes off over Stradbally after prob few more this time legal pints of Cider :D what a booking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Think I'll buy shares in a hip and knees replacement company now.

Poorside wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Poorside wrote: »

Zimmer frame circle of death!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Some are still raging against the machine, some of us may be raging against the dying of the light. Plenty of rage. That's the main thing.

While we're on Dylan Thomas, he also said that 'old men should burn and rave at close of day'.

In many ways, he is the spiritual leader of this thread. I will raise a silent can to him as I stumble home from the Salty Dog on the Friday night. He gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭endainoz

Id wager a good few of us here were at that legendary Oxegen gig from 2008. That gig blew me away, there was a couple of issues with the sounds cutting out early on in the set and you could feel the anger and tension in the air. For a split second I genuinely thought a riot was going to break out.

Luckily it didn't and the mosh pits were glorious. I also distinctly remember the PA playing "love is in the air" to calm the crowd down after the show. It worked too, all the Headbangers singing along!

I might be a bit old and scared for a mosh pit now but I can't wait for Morello to break into the opening of "sleep now in the fire" again!!

Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    While we're on Dylan Thomas, he also said that 'old men should burn and rave at close of day'.

In many ways, he is the spiritual leader of this thread. I will raise a silent can to him as I stumble home from the Salty Dog on the Friday night. He gets it.

Almost but it's actually

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ...
    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Kinda appropriate really

Almost but it's actually

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ...
    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Kinda appropriate really

Ah, the memory is the first thing to go, Scruff. But appropriate it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

endainoz wrote: »
    Id wager a good few of us here were at that legendary Oxegen gig from 2008. That gig blew me away, there was a couple of issues with the sounds cutting out early on in the set and you could feel the anger and tension in the air. For a split second I genuinely thought a riot was going to break out.

Luckily it didn't and the mosh pits were glorious. I also distinctly remember the PA playing "love is in the air" to calm the crowd down after the show. It worked too, all the Headbangers singing along!

I might be a bit old and scared for a mosh pit now but I can't wait for Morello to break into the opening of "sleep now in the fire" again!!

Ha i remember that too, I was seriously worried that if the sound issues werent corrected ASAP there was going to be mayhem especially since there was so much anticipation before they came on which helped create an unreal atmosphere.

Personally i dont care if half or all the crowd dont know who they are it wont stop me from having fun and going mental ha

Seeing as EP is "Sold Out" id wager many a zimmer frame will be used for a fencejump that night..are they definitely friday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Festival Republic capturing the mood of a nation with RATM booking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

More like Rage with the machine am I right

Cough Cough*** Sellouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Fatfrog wrote: »
    the stairs would need to align

stairs always need to align despite what dodgy builders might say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement