Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Also cannot get my head around Rick Astley positioned where he is on the poster. Is he not famous for being a one hit wonder from 30+ years ago?! How is he so high up :confused:

That song alone will draw a crowd. He had another seven top ten hits though and several big albums including a number one in 2016 and another top ten in 2018. Not that anyone at EP will have a copy of any of those.

He may draw the biggest crowd of the weekend if on the main stage in the late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Rick is going to be your Sunday evening 'heritage' slot. I think that might explain why he's so high up the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 InTheWoods123

To be honest I was expecting a little more overlap with the Reading/Leeds lineup but if my maths is correct there's only about 7 acts performing at both festivals. Most of which are undercards.

Apart from RATM and RTJ obviously...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

The second row of that poster is something like a mock up bill you’d see being “leaked”.

How in the name of Christ are Picture This ahead of Foals?!?

Like it or not they are more popular here in Ireland than foals
    Would Foals sell out 5 nights in the 3 arena, not a hope
    but hey! you cant account for taste,
    different story billing-wise if it a festival anywhere but here of course

(for the record...despise PT and have loved Foals since day one)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Rick astley should surely be announced on the week of the festival for the electric Ireland throw bag thingy surely to Christ, not high up on the poster like that

God it’s beyond ****e lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Rfrip wrote: »
    James Vincent mcmorrow has tweeted he loves a good picnic in September!

I love him so announcement already off to a good start!

God I was so full of hope and joy a mere few hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

At least two out of Lola Young, Pip Millet, Miya Folick, Miraa May and Arlo Parks are the same person. Many of them are 19 year old songstressesses from London. Innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

One thing EP has going for it - while Rage might cost a bloody fortune to book (it was over a million for them at Oxegen in 08, so we can multiply that 12 years later) the rest are very conservative bookings unlikely to cost much. Will keep the festival ticking over, unlike Oxegen which overspent hugely on acts and burned itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Right, to work, trusted musos. Find me **** to listen to!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

BadTurtle wrote: »
    One thing EP has going for it - while Rage might cost a bloody fortune to book (it was over a million for them at Oxegen in 08, so we can multiply that 12 years later) the rest are very conservative bookings unlikely to cost much. Will keep the festival ticking over, unlike Oxegen which overspent hugely on acts and burned itself out.

A little more Paschal than Charlie like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

I think when Oxygen fell out with T in the Park and stopped sharing their bill they both went under as a result. As for this line up I'm a bit hesitant to be critical as I think it might be a result of some last minute cancellations over coronavirus fears, Picture This and Snow Patrol feel very much like replacements for bigger acts. Maybe the next couple announcements will surprise us.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Noseygit

Its not the worst 1st lineup I've seen from ep. If rage and rtj hadn't self announced I think people would think differently. Pucture this though,i don't get it. I look forward to checking out a few acts from lower down the bill. Biggest disappointment is no body and soul.Just need to find a ticket for the sis in law for her 6th picnic and an eco pass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Also cannot get my head around Rick Astley positioned where he is on the poster. Is he not famous for being a one hit wonder from 30+ years ago?! How is he so high up :confused:

Because he's so reliable....

He's never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

No. There's no way around it. We have a bit of doom and gloom every year but this is by a million miles the worst first announcement ever. Last year, we had the Strokes, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jarvis, Christine and the Queens, the Streets, Michael Kiwunuka, Roisin Murphy, Courtney Barnett, Parquet Courts, Mitski, Let's Eat Grandma, Sons of Kemet, Serpentwithfeet....I know there's more there for the electronica heads but still. It's gone off a cliff for me. There has to have been withdrawals due to the current situation. If not, Melvin has lost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I think when Oxygen fell out with T in the Park and stopped sharing their bill they both went under as a result. As for this line up I'm a bit hesitant to be critical as I think it might be a result of some last minute cancellations over coronavirus fears, Picture This and Snow Patrol feel very much like replacements for bigger acts. Maybe the next couple announcements will surprise us.

What cancellations do you think happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Paddy2012 wrote: »

don't think any acts have cancelled Summer festival appearances yet, so I very much doubt any cancelled one in September. contracts would have been signed aaaages ago, so it's not like they had the choice of pulling out just before whatever arbitrary date EP decided to announce the lineup.

Snow Patrol definitely a cheapo headliner, but EP can get away with it these days when it's a guaranteed sell-out, and it caters more and more to mainstream music fans, who, going by my "office colleagues who started going in the last few years" test, are fairly happy, although not as much as with Capaldi and Picture This being there.

Picture This were in the same position 2 years ago too, so doubt they've replaced anyone. As said earlier, they sold out 5 nights in the 3Arena, which is more than basically any EP headliner is capable of:

38260596_10156657217869168_3277264762169196544_o.jpg?resize=849%2C1065&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kdyman54

Honestly shocked that Liam Gallagher wasn't 1 of the headliners.
    Hes at nearly all Festival Republics UK festivals. Hopefully they keep the best till last and announce him in the next round.

Would have liked to seen Sam Fender back again on the main stage and Blossoms would have been a good shout also. Wait and see I suppose

don't think any acts have cancelled Summer festival appearances yet, so I very much doubt any cancelled one in September. contracts would have been signed aaaages ago, so it's not like they had the choice of pulling out just before whatever arbitrary date EP decided to announce the lineup.
    Picture This were in the same position 2 years ago:

38260596_10156657217869168_3277264762169196544_o.jpg?resize=849%2C1065&ssl=1

That's depressing, Ghostdancer. I would take the Other Voices lineup there over today's entire announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

That's depressing, Ghostdancer. I would take the Other Voices lineup there over today's entire announcement.

the first lineup announcement in 2018 wasn't exactly stellar either tbf, plenty of time for 2020's lineup to shape up nicely

5aaa5ff9e251c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

the first lineup announcement in 2018 wasn't exactly stellar either tbf, plenty of time for 2020's lineup to shape up nicely

5aaa5ff9e251c.jpg

Hard disagree. Those are three of the best headline acts the festival has had in the past 10 years. St Vincent, King Krule, Dua Lipa, The Blaze, Friendly Fires, Wolf Alice...that was an absolutely cracking first announcement.

• Advertisement

Hard disagree. Those are three of the best headline acts the festival has had in the past 10 years. St Vincent, King Krule, Dua Lipa, The Blaze, Friendly Fires, Wolf Alice...that was an absolutely cracking first announcement.

And Benny boy, Scarlxrd, Nilufer, and what a psych bop La Femme were...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

True, I mean other than Massive Attack, St Vincent, King Krule, The Kooks, Chvrches, Jungle, Wolf Alice, Cigarettes after Sex, Friendly Fires, Garbage, Dermot Kennedy, the Blaze, Sigrid, Alexis Taylor, and Inner Circle, I wasn’t looking forward to seeing any of those acts.

Seriously though, I think the headliners this year are broadly on par with the last two years:

2020 – RATM, Snow Patrol, Chemical Brothers, Picture This and Lewis Capaldi
    2019 – The Strokes, The 1975, Hozier, Florence and the Machine
    2018 – Kendrick Lamar, Massive Attack, NERD, Picture This and The Prodigy

Two big and popular bands, two slightly fusty but still fundamentally worthy bands, and the best in breed for unoffensive Irish acts of the relevant year.

It’s the undercard that is a bit of a let down this year. But the problem in this regard is that I used to be with it, but then Melvin Benn changed what it is, and now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems weird and scary to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Peggy Gou is one of the biggest dance acts on the planet just now too although there is some good dance and hip hop this year to be fair, Paula Temple, JPEGMAFIA, Denzel Curry, Helena Hauff, Little Simz and 100 Gecs would be interesting to see as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

The same stuff comes out literally every year. People here didn't accept Nerd as headliners that year, or Outkast another year.

It has yet to prove us wrong and it always pulls it out of the bag, every single year.

Mid table will be filled out, as usual. No body and soul will be interesting, it's not as if the whole area won't be used for music like it always has been. I even recall people here saying the b&s lineup had gone stale over the last few years?

The theater is another interesting one, wouldn't appeal much to me but it might appeal to someone. I can also see Terminus getting used more this year too.

And Benny boy, Scarlxrd, Nilufer, and what a psych bop La Femme were...
    Ah La Femme were magic! I've been selling them to reluctant Leaving Cert French students ever since.

Ah La Femme were magic! I've been selling them to reluctant Leaving Cert French students ever since.

Good work.

They were on at the time where I was passing to the other side. :)
    Wonderful live act.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

endainoz wrote: »
    The same stuff comes out literally every year. People here didn't accept Nerd as headliners that year, or Outkast another year.

It has yet to prove us wrong and it always pulls it out of the bag, every single year.

It’s a bit different this year though - it’s not a case of unproven outdoor stage acts or genres headlining. We all know exactly what we’re getting with this year’s headliners - except, and I hope I’m wrong - the one that most people are looking forward to. We might well get the RATM tribute act going through the motions.

Still - there’s two acts headlining this year that I’m interested in seeing, as compared to none last year (though ended up enjoying Billie Eilish). So the optics of some dreadfully bland choices just make it seem worse than it is (for this punter). It’s literally years since I saw a main stage act that was my highlight of the festival in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I remember a few weeks ago a conversation on here with some saying it had potential to be one of the best EP lineups due to who was touring. It was never realistic to expect everyone on our wishlist but a very poor return for most of us on this thread I'm feeling. Below is a list of acts who are playing festivals in Europe this summer and don't appear to have any Irish dates this summer (although that didn't even stop them with Lewis Capaldi or The Chemical Brothers). I'm sure plenty of these acts aren't around in September, maybe some of these are still to come too, but when you compare who was booked to who may have been available it looks even worse..

Headliners: Tame Impala – Kraftwerk – The National – Disclosure – Weezer – Liam Gallagher – Bjork – Bon Iver (has Dublin date in May)

Sub/Tent Headliners: Glass Animals – Kurt Vile – Robyn – Anderson Paak – 2manyDJs – Thom Yorke – Wolf Alice – Alt J – London Grammar – Two Door Cinema Club – Michael Kiwanuka – Mac Demarco – Bombay Bicycle Club – Bonobo

Mid tier: Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever – Chromatics - Brockhampton – King Krule – Cigarettes After Sex – Black Midi – The Blaze – Confidence Man – Parcels – Tycho – Kaytranada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

I remember a few weeks ago a conversation on here with some saying it had potential to be one of the best EP lineups due to who was touring. It was never realistic to expect everyone on our wishlist but a very poor return for most of us on this thread I'm feeling. Below is a list of acts who are playing festivals in Europe this summer and don't appear to have any Irish dates this summer (although that didn't even stop them with Lewis Capaldi or The Chemical Brothers). I'm sure plenty of these acts aren't around in September, maybe some of these are still to come too, but when you compare who was booked to who may have been available it looks even worse..

Headliners: Tame Impala – Kraftwerk – The National – Disclosure – Weezer – Liam Gallagher – Bjork – Bon Iver (has Dublin date in May)

Sub/Tent Headliners: Glass Animals – Kurt Vile – Robyn – Anderson Paak – 2manyDJs – Thom Yorke – Wolf Alice – Alt J – London Grammar – Two Door Cinema Club – Michael Kiwanuka – Mac Demarco – Bombay Bicycle Club – Bonobo

Mid tier: Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever – Chromatics - Brockhampton – King Krule – Cigarettes After Sex – Black Midi – The Blaze – Confidence Man – Parcels – Tycho – Kaytranada

A few of those are playing Ireland this summer.Did you do your search on bing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

ah stop that now!
    your subhead list is slobberfest for me :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement