Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Peter File wrote: »
    A few of those are playing Ireland this summer.Did you do your search on bing!

Ah maybe they do I made the list in the space of a few mins! But as I said it didn't exactly stop them with two of their headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

I must say if ever I saw an announcement which said “ we have your money sure what the hell” this was it
    Snow patrol. - playing the Olympia in May as part of a showband hall “nationwide” as headliners sums it up.

Picture this. Headline act Incredible.

Chemical brothers. Good but come on headlined in 2016.

Rick Astley. Totally pulling the proverbial as a day one release

The list goes on. Who in their right minds can have pulled this dirge together and expected a willing public to buy it.
    Oh. Hold on. They don’t have to buy it. The fools have already bought it. It’s a sell out. Sure put anyone on and the Irish will have a “larf”

A statement of pure banality and a mark of bloated ignorance is what best sums up this tepid , bland and lazy line up.
    But sure the Irish will take it Melvin. They have been pliable of late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Kdyman54 wrote: »
    Honestly shocked that Liam Gallagher wasn't 1 of the headliners.
    Hes at nearly all Festival Republics UK festivals. Hopefully they keep the best till last

Please seek medical help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I really hope picture this sub RATM, we can ****ing mill them out of it!! I'm driving the combine in a Shaun of the dead style massacre!!!

I'd definitely switch snow patrol with foals!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

After much reflection i kinda feel the same way when the first announcement of 2018 where there was only a few acts i wanted to see and wasnt really looking forward to the festival. Fast forward to that first weekend in September where i ended up having one of my favourite picnics, so im hoping the same will happen this year.

Delighted with RATM/RTJ, Snow Patrol are a good sing along festival band and always deliver the numerous times i went to see them, Foals will be unreal as usual, Chemical Brothers yes have played a few times over the last few years but caught them at Pukkelpop in 16 and enjoyed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

alastair wrote: »
    It’s a bit different this year though - it’s not a case of unproven outdoor stage acts or genres headlining. We all know exactly what we’re getting with this year’s headliners - except, and I hope I’m wrong - the one that most people are looking forward to. We might well get the RATM tribute act going through the motions.

What exactly do you base this notion on? They certainly didn't go through the motions when they played Oxegen...I know what was a few years ago but I still don't see your logic.

Snarky Snark Snark

Am very much meh on this at the moment, couple I’ll be happy with but most are unknown.

I really don’t get the snow patrol hate, internationally they are a big ****ing band and so a big booking whether you like them or not (I know they played the Olympia recently but ****ing REM practically did a residency there at one point and people would not be complaining if they were announced)

Am fully expecting it to flesh out massively though, if it does not then there’s always the salty dog and of course the annual sighting of the lovely Cathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Right, RATM, Foals, Ian Brown, James Vincent McMorrow, Declan McKenna, Joy Crookes, Aoife Nessa Frances, Arlo Parks, Black Country New Road, Ghum, Just Mustard, the Lathums and the Magic Gang can stay. The rest of ye can do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

endainoz wrote: »

The theater is another interesting one, wouldn't appeal much to me but it might appeal to someone. I can also see Terminus getting used more this year too.

Spot on: it'd be great to make better use of the place this year with a fuller programme. I can see the likes of Paula Temple, Jeff Mills and Helena Hauff making lots of noise in Terminus over the weekend. I'd like to see Annie Mac and Bicep in the Electric Arena too as they can both draw a big crowd and the Chems on the main stage, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I'd speculated before about some North American acts having cancelled leaving the announcement very light on such acts bar the previously revealed RATM & RTJ. US acts in particular tend to be risk averse and avoid any trouble spots, eg the whole of Ireland during the Troubles, Europe post 9/11, France during the Algerian bombings of the 80s, etc, etc.

My partner was off to see Coolio in Galway at the end of next month but he's cancelled his tour. Expect a lot more of this. EP is nearly six months away but I think many gigs and festivals in the next three months are dead in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What exactly do you base this notion on? They certainly didn't go through the motions when they played Oxegen...I know what was a few years ago but I still don't see your logic.

My logic is that it’s more than a few years ago, and the motivation for this tour might be primarily for the cash and the charitable donations, or it might be as vital a performance as old tours. But twenty years is enough time for the spark to be lost. We’ll find out in a few weeks anyway. Just been let down by too many reunions that really lacked heart before.

Am very much meh on this at the moment, couple I’ll be happy with but most are unknown.

I really don’t get the snow patrol hate, internationally they are a big ****ing band and so a big booking whether you like them or not (I know they played the Olympia recently but ****ing REM practically did a residency there at one point and people would not be complaining if they were announced)

Am fully expecting it to flesh out massively though, if it does not then there’s always the salty dog and of course the annual sighting of the lovely Cathy.

Same here. No fan but they've 4/5 decent tunes from their early days.

They're also headlining the Isle of Wight this June which has 20,000 more attendees than EP.

alastair wrote: »
    My logic is that it’s more than a few years ago, and the motivation for this tour might be primarily for the cash and the charitable donations, or it might be as vital a performance as old tours. But twenty years is enough time for the spark to be lost. We’ll find out in a few weeks anyway. Just been let down by too many reunions that really lacked heart before.

May turn out to be the case but most reunions I've been too have been pretty exceptional - Jesus and Mary Chain, Gang of Four, New Order, Pixies, Wire, LCD Soundsystem, Blondie, The Specials, Fleetwood Mac, The House of Love, Blur, etc.

For most of those I had no chance to see them back in the day so felt blessed to get the opportunity. Even the ones that didn't work out (that's you Stone Roses & Pulp) I'm glad to have caught. Rage will likely be blistering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Picture This Lewis Capaldi and Snow Patrol all above Foals. It’s the worst EP lineup poster I’ve seen. Not only are most of the names awful but the positioning makes no sense. Though I know that doesn’t necessarily reflect where they’ll play. I was hoping they might tempt me back but no chance with that poster. Snow Patrol headlining Ireland’s largest festival is frankly embarrassing. What are they doing?

Just had another look and it’s even worse. Where’s Bon Iver, Kraftwerk, Thom Yorke, Bombay Bicycle Club etc etc??

MadYaker wrote: »
    Picture This Lewis Capaldi and Snow Patrol all above Foals. It’s the worst EP lineup poster I’ve seen. Not only are most of the names awful but the positioning makes no sense. Though I know that doesn’t necessarily reflect where they’ll play. I was hoping they might tempt me back but no chance with that poster. Snow Patrol headlining Ireland’s largest festival is frankly embarrassing. What are they doing?

Just had another look and it’s even worse. Where’s Bon Iver, Kraftwerk, Thom Yorke, Bombay Bicycle Club etc etc??

Does it really bother you that much about "poster placement"? Bit petty to be honest. Foals will still get their set, even if they are on the bottom line of the poster. The others are bigger names and more recognizable to the bigger portion of the audience. Like it or not those are young people.

Fair enough on your other points but the poster placement argument is just silly.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I'd speculated before about some North American acts having cancelled leaving the announcement very light on such acts bar the previously revealed RATM & RTJ. US acts in particular tend to be risk averse and avoid any trouble spots, eg the whole of Ireland during the Troubles, Europe post 9/11, France during the Algerian bombings of the 80s, etc, etc.

My partner was off to see Coolio in Galway at the end of next month but he's cancelled his tour. Expect a lot more of this. EP is nearly six months away but I think many gigs and festivals in the next three months are dead in the water.

Pixies cancelled the rest of their tour aswell.

I remember when I was told by the organizers that they had Dylan lined up to play Lisdoonvarna in the early 80s but he wouldn't do it because of the troubles at the time.

Pixies cancelled the rest of their tour aswell.

I remember when I was told by the organizers that they had Dylan lined up to play Lisdoonvarna in the early 80s but he wouldn't do it because of the troubles at the time.

Can't blame them for skipping Japan and China. But I'd selfishly like to see them hit Galway in July.

And more generally I'd also like the world to be a safer place by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'm buzzing for Denzel, JPEGMAFIA, Bicep, Paula Temple, Skepta, Saint Sister, J.I.D and RATM

Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Ah La Femme were magic! I've been selling them to reluctant Leaving Cert French students ever since.

Ah sweet sweet Clémence.

Bought a couple of their albums based on the show, actually still listen to them, no ****in idea what they’re singing but it’s all very french and very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Does it really bother you that much about "poster placement"? Bit petty to be honest. Foals will still get their set, even if they are on the bottom line of the poster. The others are bigger names and more recognizable to the bigger portion of the audience. Like it or not those are young people.

Fair enough on your other points but the poster placement argument is just silly.

Lower down the bill means shorter set, no?

• Advertisement

Lower down the bill means shorter set, no?

Not if headlining the EA for instance or sub-headlining the main stage.

Snarky Snark Snark

I’m convinced we’ll see a at least one from Suede, MSP and Supergrass in a later announcement
    Wouldn’t be surprised at David Gray either, Brit artists need to put the cash away before brexit ****s them with a 12” rough one and no lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Brit artists need to put the cash away before brexit ****s them with a 12” rough one and no lube.

How eloquent! ;)

Snarky Snark Snark

Keepin it real bruv.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Am I clutching at straws to note the headliners haven't been touted as headliners on any of the social; apart from, granted, the fairly damning line-up poster?

Snarky Snark Snark

Completely clutching, RATM, Snow Patrol, Chemicals are headliners whether people like them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

rubick wrote: »
    LOL, no a row of tents. Or boats, depending on encroaching sea-levels.

Save me a spot. Invite for ECO camping secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

I have to say that I am not that impressed with the line-up.

However, I will be extremely happy if we get through these next few months and Electric Picnic actually takes place. I think by the time it comes around I for one will need it, as it looks like a lot of the plans I have for eat least the early Summer will get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Kepler21 wrote: »
    I have to say that I am not that impressed with the line-up.

However, I will be extremely happy if we get through these next few months and Electric Picnic actually takes place. I think by the time it comes around I for one will need it, as it looks like a lot of the plans I have for eat least the early Summer will get cancelled.

Fair point actually! My first gig is Bon Iver May bank holiday and i dont think its looking good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, been looking forward to May for Bon Iver / Oh Sees / Mew and I can see them all being cancelled now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement