Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastcom broadband masts

Options
  • 02-09-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Is it dangerous to live close to these? Are Fastcom sharing these masts with other companies?

The reason I ask is that we have an offer in on a house that is 10-15 metres away from a Fastcom mast. I have had radiotherapy in the past but the main concern is my two young children.

Rang Fastcom today to get a little bit more information but it was like I was trying to obtain files from the CIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Is it dangerous to live close to these? Are Fastcom sharing these masts with other companies?

The reason I ask is that we have an offer in on a house that is 10-15 metres away from a Fastcom mast. I have had radiotherapy in the past but the main concern is my two young children.

Rang Fastcom today to get a little bit more information but it was like I was trying to obtain files from the CIA.
    no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

shanec1928 wrote: »
    no

Could you please expand on your reply? It’s a device omitting a signal I would love to live a life where I don’t have to worry about it affecting my family.

Note I appreciate your comment and I’m not arguing with your opinion, I am just looking for certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Could you please expand on your reply? It’s a device omitting a signal I would love to live a life where I don’t have to worry about it affecting my family.

Note I appreciate your comment and I’m not arguing with your opinion, I am just looking for certainty.

If its omitting a signal then you clearly have nothing to worry about :D

If its omitting a signal then you clearly have nothing to worry about :D

Not helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If you can give the location / post a picture of the mast we might be able to advise. I understand that they usually share masts with other providers.

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/site-viewer/

This map might be able to provide information on the mast.

They also have reports and these are identified by the blue logos. This is an example from one in Cairns hill.

http://www.comreg.ie/media/2016/10/Sligo-ESB-Cairns-Hill-1698_18.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not helpful

No, but mildly humorous none the less - and the world is a better place for it

dingding wrote: »
    If you can give the location / post a picture of the mast we might be able to advise. I understand that they usually share masts with other providers.

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/site-viewer/

This map might be able to provide information on the mast.

They also have reports and these are identified by the blue logos. This is an example from one in Cairns hill.

http://www.comreg.ie/media/2016/10/Sligo-ESB-Cairns-Hill-1698_18.pdf
    There is no mast on that site for the mast in question. I have sent you the address by dm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you are on the leeward side of the mast, nearer than 10m -15m to the mast (depending on the exact height of the mast) and if the mast is very poorly maintained over an extended number of years and there then is an extreme storm there is a slight chance the mast or some part of it might fall on the house, otherwise there's no real danger.

I had a look at street view. If it is not on the map then the map only has the fastcom equipment on it. Sometimes they share sites with others so in this case it is only the fastcom equipment.

There is a site on Cairns Hill in Sligo which has several mobile phone cells, fastcom equipment, ESB radio equipment and other equipment. I would say this map has a multiple of the equipment that would be on a fastcom only site.

You will see that this mast has a lot of equipment on it from the photo.

The report says that The mean and peak measurements were below the lowest ICNIRP guideline limit of 28 V/m

And when you look at the actual measurements at 1.66 V/m this is significanty lower than the limit.

I would not be concerned.

There is no mast on that site for the mast in question. I have sent you the address by dm.

Had a look at street view and could not see the transmitter. It must be very small when compared with the Cairns Hill site in the previous post.

• Advertisement

What’s to stop them letting to a company providing 5g services, now, in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

What’s to stop them letting to a company providing 5g services, now, in the future?
    Do you think you’ll die if they roll out 5G.:rolleyes:

I’ll post a link to a picture of the mast if someone can advise me how to add a url to the photo only and give access to all my photos.

Note if Fastcom had just given me a couple of minutes to address my concerns I wouldn’t have created this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ah, so that's what this is about.

Try here.

I’m am trying to find out something that has a great deal of importance to my family. It’s not about 5g that I as posting, I am trying to get so idea what is coming out of out of the mast. I don’t have experience in this stuff so I thought I’d ask the question hear.

I spoke with a member of the Council last night and he effectively told me that once planning for a mast has been given, that company can lease it or part of it to anyone that they wish.

Mod it looks like if I will not get any useful advice here, only p/ss taking, can you please close this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The comreg siteviewer information page on non-ionising radiation

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/site-viewer/non-ionising-radiation-information/
    might give you some useful general background inforamation if the mast itself is not listed on their site. Quote : "To date, over 1400 sites have been surveyed and NIR emissions at all sites have been found, without exception, to fall well below the international limits set by the ICNIRP."

Being out in sunlight exposes on to greater strength and higher energy non-ionising radiation than being near a mast. Your own mobile phone or home/work wifi is probably a stronger personal source than being near a mast.

The radio frequency plan, also on the comreg site, will give you information on the plan for use of radio frequencies, not specifically for a partuicular site what purposes different parts of the radio spectrum have been allocated for. It might help inform what might be applicable to a particular site - e.g. which parts of the spectrum might be used by a wireless internet service provider, both for the customer service and backhaul.

The other point is if you are near a mobile phone mast (this should be the case for 5G also) As the phone gets further away from a mast it needs to transmit at more power to reach the mast. There is also a technology called cell shrinking where the mast cuts down its power when it approaches max capacity this meand that phones on the margin of coverage will transmit.

5G works on more lower powered masts, which should reduce the power from our phone.

The nearer you are to a mast the lower the transmission power of your phone.

i would be more concerned about the power from your phone which is close to your body, rather than a mast which id 10's of meters away.

There are campaigns for example to not have masts near schools, the consequence it that you have potentially hundreds of phones in the school all transmitting in a confined space at a higher power than would otherwiswe be the case if the phone mast was on the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Ah, so that's what this is about.

Try here.
    Can you post some links to multiple studies which show conclusively that 5g is safe to humans. Would love to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can you post some links to multiple studies which show conclusively that 5g is safe to humans. Would love to see them.
    Eh that's not how science works. You can prove an effect but not prove a lack of an effect. You instead have to look at the hundreds of studies that looked to see if there was a link between the two things and failed, and take your judgement from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

TheChizler wrote: »
    Eh that's not how science works. You can prove an effect but not prove a lack of an effect. You instead have to look at the hundreds of studies that looked to see if there was a link between the two things and failed, and take your judgement from that.

Again, can you post some links which prove beyond doubt that 5g technology is safe for humans?

Its a simple question.

When a new drug is preparing to go to market, extensive studies and research takes place to determine if this drug is safe for human consumption..whether it can have any adverse effects on human biology.

So can you post evidence that 5g has been proven through testing and research to have no adverse effects on human biology.

Because at a US senate hearing earlier this year it was admitted that there was currently no studies or research which prove the safety of 5g in relation to human biology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement