Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sean Moore park playground going down hill

Options
  • 02-09-2019 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

https://dublintimes.ie/new-playground-at-sean-moore-park/

The playground is a welcome addition to the area, its really well made, looks great and is getting a lot of use from parents and children from right across Sandymount, Irishtown, Ringsend and further.

I have noticed in the last few weeks it is becoming a gathering place for young adults who really are too big for the facility.They are causing a bit of a nuisance by using the facilities that are designed for kids not teenagers. They are playing football, riding bikes, letting off fireworks and generally being disruptive. I can see some of the parents of smaller children becoming worried for their kids safety. I notice too that some of the equipment is being broken with some also being set on fire and burned.

At the moment the playground is beginning to feel like it is becoming unwelcome for those that it was designed for, I hope it does not continue to deteriorate. I think that the authorities should try get control of the situation and figure out a way of making the place feel a bit safer and friendlier for the parents and young children that want to use it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

That's a shame.
    It looks fantastic.
    Hopefully with the schools back they won't be bored anymore!

I think that the authorities should try get control of the situation and figure out a way of making the place feel a bit safer and friendlier for the parents and young children that want to use it.

Have you alerted "the authorities" in any way to let them know what's going on? Pretty difficult for them to get involved if they're unaware of any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Have you alerted "the authorities" in any way to let them know what's going on? Pretty difficult for them to get involved if they're unaware of any issues.

I agree. I have contacted all the local councilors and TDS. I will also ask the guards in Irishtown if they can keep an eye on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its what happens all the time. The local dirtbirds take over and nothing will be done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It's a pity that in their haste to spend their incinerator money, the residents association/tidy towns didn't see fit to install CCTV or other security measures. It was always going to become a gathering place for the local scrotes. Shame really as it looks like a lovely park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

They are playing football, riding bikes, letting off fireworks and generally being disruptive.

Lucky nobody was killed, teenagers today! Make sure not to talk to them about it as fellow human beings and get the "authorities" on their case quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Like everywhere in Ireland it’ll be wrecked soon enough. We can’t have anything nice as there is no accountability for anything anymore. Scum aren’t afraid of the law so they openly wreck everything.

Lucky nobody was killed, teenagers today! Make sure not to talk to them about it as fellow human beings and get the "authorities" on their case quick.

Sarcasm is not a good look.

I small child being hit by bike or firework may amuse you but it could do serious damage.

I was close to the park last evening so dropped in to have a look. I couldn't see any damage anywhere so maybe it's been repaired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah teenagers only wreck stuff and set fire to it because nobody asked them not to.

Its definitely the adult strangers fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I noticed the position of the playground seems a good distance from the road and is hidden a bit by trees.
    This probably doesn't help as it's likely to bring in more teenagers I would have thought.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I was close to the park last evening so dropped in to have a look. I couldn't see any damage anywhere so maybe it's been repaired ?

I was there yesterday afternoon, its still there. A fire was lit in a tunnel for children to crawl trough, the plastic has melted and left a hole about 20cms across. Also one of the attractions had chains to hold containers on with a pulley but they have gone.

I'm not saying it is the wild west but if things get broken and not fixed and large groups of young adults start to frequent it will become a place to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

They should have put CCTV up. A feeling of it wouldn’t happen in D4/NIMBYism at play here

posy2010 wrote: »
    They should have put CCTV up. A feeling of it wouldn’t happen in D4/NIMBYism at play here

That doesn't make a whole heap of sense. Are you saying that DCC thought that this (wide open) park in Sean Moore park, less than 1km from Ringsend Park (also in D4), would not be visited by the local scrotes and therefore decided not to install CCTV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

posy2010 wrote: »
    CCTV is useless unless vandalism incidents are followed up, scrotes identified and prosecuted. They will live reasonably local and should be identifiable.
    Maybe if the authorities printed off posters and put them up around the area with the message
    " Do you know this person. The Gardai would like to speak with him as he may have witnessed criminal damage ( hint hint) to your childrens playground "
    Of course the usual lefty do gooders would be whinging abut this appoach

Advertisement