Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Lawless Memorial / Dublin Championships 2019 - 21st September

Options
  • 02-09-2019 5:25pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So this year we are putting on a full panel of races U10, U12, U14, U16, Ladies, A4, A3, A2 and A1, with separate races for each group. The races will start at 9am and run all day long.

As a tribute to a man who provided so much to Irish Cycling, as well as friends and riders from all over the country, we are dedicating the last race to him, the first Mick Lawless memorial. Mick was instrumental in the building of Corkagh Park, and it is only fitting that we host the Dublin Champs there.

Race start at 9am. On the 21st September.

First race: Ladies 40minutes + 5 laps

2nd race: U10 5 to 10 youth laps

3rd race: A4 40minutes + 5 laps

4th race: U12 5 to 10 full laps

5th race: A3 40minutes + 5 laps

6th race: U14 15 full laps

7th race: A2 40minutes + 5 laps

8th race: U16 20 full laps

9th race: A1 50minutes + 5 laps (including hairpin)

Entries will be 15euro for all adult races, free entry for all underage races. Prize money for top 6 in all adult races. Pre entry open, please fill in details to register interest, payment details will then be mailed back to you.

Pre entry only at the minute, once it is full, there will be no more places. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScVNm-AHPjuQcJWLVlERljQomZh3_8XUPGpiUZ3GxKpKGbXhw/viewform?fbclid=IwAR3QlwEPN0SBn4Zx4YGZ_3wC9hfhgWDzBY-uI1ylFfnyTxks17G8a7JtfRs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

That’s brilliant. I’m raging I’ll be away. Always thought there should be a few CI races there.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Not sure I be around myself what is the closing date for entry?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure I be around myself what is the closing date for entry?

When it's full basically, I'll post when races are full or how many spaces are left 3 days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Ive never raced in this area before? What's it like? A racing track similar to Mondello?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Chumpski wrote: »
    Ive never raced in this area before? What's it like? A racing track similar to Mondello?

flat, short laps, technical and fast.

Great surface

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess so - the fastest speeds using the loop are significantly faster than the fastest without the loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cool - will be interesting to see a bunch doing that hairpin. I know where I'll be watching :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Chumpski wrote: »

Here's a video to give you an idea of what it's like.

buffalo wrote: »
    And the A1s are doing this, right?

https://www.strava.com/segments/1396284

Unless the comms say no, then yes they will.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Here's a video to give you an idea of what it's like.

I keep expecting a Jerry Bruckheimer style crash, the music is quite dramatic.

First bit of news, the minor news, A4 is near full. If your thinking about entering A4, do it now, we won't be accepting entries on the day for any race once it is near full. I imagine I will be making similar announcements for the other races over the coming week but A4 is the one that will fill first.

The second bit of news, far more important is that an unnamed sponsor has come on board. SDCC had made contact with a local business on short notice and asked would they think about sponsoring the youth races as they are free to enter. I didn't expect much (cynic that I am) but the company jumped in without looking back and have promised prizes for every underage race, top 3 girls and top 3 boys, in each category, so 24 prizes with very little notice. Prizes will be of equivalent value across the categories. We have offered them nothing, and they have asked for nothing. I even offered to try my hand at social media and "big"ing them up and the said no, they actually felt guilty they couldn't do more with the short notice, so not much else to say except thank you.

We are closing pre entries tonight at 8pm to give me a bit of a chance to tidy all the paperwork up. If you want a guaranteed place, please fill in the form before 8pm tonight: Form here

If there are any spaces left, I will post it here on Friday morning but it is a tight circuit so we will be refusing riders on the day if any race fills, you'll know by the numbers on Friday if that is likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

have places filled up and what's the general entry numbers - motivation is at a low ebb especially for a 1 hour VO2 max sesh.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    have places filled up and what's the general entry numbers - motivation is at a low ebb especially for a 1 hour VO2 max sesh.

A4 and A3 have a decent number, so not far from full. A2 and A1 are only half way at the minute. The womens race lower again. I'll have numbers by tomorrow. I think the lack of allowing LC licences for the Womens race as it has CI points has hampered it a bit (those are the rules, nothing can be done about that), that and the NRS final the next day. On the same note, there are points to be had there so if anyone is looking for a final boost at the end of the year for an upgrade, it is there for the taking.

I have raced this with my club league, the Dublin Wheelers race (years ago) and watched the Womens league there a few times. Bar my one time where I wentfor attempted heart failure for 30 minutes on a suicide mission, I find it is not much different than any open race, there are surges and they die down. It lines out for a few laps and then bunches up again. It is a good circuit for a breakaway if they work together but they do have to work together and hard. A4 will tend to have more solo heroes going early so I expect the pace to be higher for it than A3.

The circuit has no protection from the wind, so there is no hiding, which makes it a fairer test IMO but can be tough.

Women, A2 and A1 it is quite common though for entry on the day to be better than pre entry, so not concerned there. Surprised how much interest from A4 and A3, so there will be limited or possibly no entries on the day for them, I'll know by tomorrow morning.

Even if people are not racing, if you have an hour, pop down, the youth races would love the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

thanks, raced it plenty times but not with that loop. whats the max number allowed in before full ? could A1s and A2s be put in together

thanks, raced it plenty times but not with that loop. whats the max number allowed in before full ? could A1s and A2s be put in together

40 is the max, 30 is the preference.

My feeling, and I could be wrong is that A2s don't want that, it is not what we advertised and there is enough entries in A2 to run a decent separate race regardless.

There are enough A1s to run a race but it would be nice to have a bigger field.

• Advertisement

The loop is only in the A1 race

So a few last minute notes, sorry they were not earlier, busy day today.

The A1 race is running earlier at 15:30. The U16 race has been called off due to low numbers. The U16 will run at the same time as the A3 race now. Separate prizes and points etc.

All other races will go ahead, entries on the day for all of them. All races have decent numbers but enough space to take entries on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Thanks a lot to SDCC and CramCycle for great event yesterday.

I was there for the U10 race (...I'm younger than I look!). It was hotly anticipated in my house. It's no mean feat to organise a race for kids, especially kids as young as under-10, and to have separate placings and prizes for both boys and girls must add hugely to the challenge for the organisers but from my daughter's point of view was "awesome!!!".

I saw the latter half of the women's race, the U10's, the A4's, and the U12's, and they were all tough, hard-fought, and entertaining races. A highly recommended event for adults and kids alike. Well done to all of the organisers!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

doozerie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot to SDCC and CramCycle for great event yesterday.

I was there for the U10 race (...I'm younger than I look!). It was hotly anticipated in my house. It's no mean feat to organise a race for kids, especially kids as young as under-10, and to have separate placings and prizes for both boys and girls must add hugely to the challenge for the organisers but from my daughter's point of view was "awesome!!!".

I saw the latter half of the women's race, the U10's, the A4's, and the U12's, and they were all tough, hard-fought, and entertaining races. A highly recommended event for adults and kids alike. Well done to all of the organisers!

Really great to hear some feedback for the event. Thanks a million for coming out and supporting the races as well it's really appreciated.

We were lucky with the weather and there was some great racing on display throughout all age groups and adult races.

A1 race had fairly underwhelming numbers. The same with the A2 race which is disappointing but we're hopeful for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hardly CI Ireland points for these races was there?

dahat wrote: »
    Hardly CI Ireland points for these races was there?

There was yes. 3, 2 and 1 point respectively.

There was yes. 3, 2 and 1 point respectively.

Didn't know that, a mate was chasing 2 pts for A3, could have missed a trick here.

Didn't know that, a mate was chasing 2 pts for A3, could have missed a trick here.

Can I ask, just out of curiosity so that we don't end up in the same situation for next as we were hoping for better adult numbers, why did you think there wouldn't be CI points?

I'm just concerned that many may have thought this and not turned up due to it so want to make sure it isn't repeated for next year.

Can I ask, just out of curiosity so that we don't end up in the same situation for next as we were hoping for better adult numbers, why did you think there wouldn't be CI points?

I'm just concerned that many may have thought this and not turned up due to it so want to make sure it isn't repeated for next year.

As it was listed loosely as Dublin Championships that would have limited interest be that right or wrong. A simple body of text in advertisements indicating CI points available would solve this for the organisers.

• Advertisement

As it was listed loosely as Dublin Championships that would have limited interest be that right or wrong. A simple body of text in advertisements indicating CI points available would solve this for the organisers.

Probably my fault there. I had mentioned it was an open race elsewhere and thought that covered it, probably should have come back here and clarified that. I did think it being called an open race on Facebook and the circular that went round via CI would be enough but I'll hold my hands up there. Sorry.

Advertisement