Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best running app

• 02-09-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I usually use map my run but since I've moved house it isn't tracking my times properly and randomly stops working mid workout. Any recommendations for another one please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

detoxkid wrote: »
    I usually use map my run but since I've moved house it isn't tracking my times properly and randomly stops working mid workout. Any recommendations for another one please?

I'd suggest a Garmin watch, always found apps on phones had issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I agree with getting a Garmin watch and if you want pick one up on DoneDeal or Adverts second hand for cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Dudda wrote: »
    I agree with getting a Garmin watch and if you want pick one up on DoneDeal or Adverts second hand for cheaper.

Just one point on getting a second hand garmin watch, is the battery life. I got a second hand forerunner 30, which is perfect for my needs but being a second hand watch the battery doesn't last the full (new) expected time. I had been worried that it wouldn't last the 4/5hrs for the DCM but I reckon having had it a couple of weeks that it will.

The watch, if you have your phone and listening to music or a podcast will give you feedback on time/distance/HR etc. The only thing my watch doesn't do (which I believe more expensive garmins do) is allow me to do intervals. I therefore use endomondo to do interval workouts.

For specific running 'apps' my personal favorite is endomondo, you can manually set workouts and the free version is more than adequate for my needs. Runtastic comes a close second, i used the paid version of this last year and to be honest wasn't really worth the money.

The only thing with a running app is that you have to have the phone on your person, so bigger phones mean a bulky phone holder on your arm. The dearer garmins allow you to store music so you can leave your phone at home. I tend to like having mine (just incase) I once rang herself to pick me up as a new t-shirt was chafing the nipples off me.

If I remember correctly the likes of endomondo and runtastic offer free trials so avail of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Just one point on getting a second hand garmin watch, is the battery life. I got a second hand forerunner 30, which is perfect for my needs but being a second hand watch the battery doesn't last the full (new) expected time. I had been worried that it wouldn't last the 4/5hrs for the DCM but I reckon having had it a couple of weeks that it will.
    That's true. Battery could be an issue with a second hand watch but then listening to music on an phone that's a few years old and constantly searching for GPS would devour a phone battery as well. I know mine would struggle.

I carried around my phone for a few weeks first and then I got a 5 year old Garmin Forerunner 25 for about 30 euro second hand. Now I wasn't ever fit enough to run for 4/5 hours but it lasted a few days and a few runs before needing a charge. After 9 odd months I purchased a new Garmin with more features and a heart rate monitor. The second hand watch was a great buy when I was getting into running. I didn't want to buy a new watch initially for fear running would be a fad for me and I'd just give up running after a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Reg'stoy wrote: »

The watch, if you have your phone and listening to music or a podcast will give you feedback on time/distance/HR etc. The only thing my watch doesn't do (which I believe more expensive garmins do) is allow me to do intervals. I therefore use endomondo to do interval workouts.

For specific running 'apps' my personal favorite is endomondo, you can manually set workouts and the free version is more than adequate for my needs. Runtastic comes a close second, i used the paid version of this last year and to be honest wasn't really worth the money.

The only thing with a running app is that you have to have the phone on your person, so bigger phones mean a bulky phone holder on your arm. The dearer garmins allow you to store music so you can leave your phone at home. I tend to like having mine (just incase) I once rang herself to pick me up as a new t-shirt was chafing the nipples off me.

If I remember correctly the likes of endomondo and runtastic offer free trials so avail of these.

What garmin have you? Most will allow you to send a workout to the watch and use that for intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Trampas wrote: »
    What garmin have you? Most will allow you to send a workout to the watch and use that for intervals.

Garmin 30, can create a workout on the connect app but it won't go to the watch, it would work with a forerunner 35 and higher. Annoying but for €60 the watch (for me) was worth it.

Advertisement