Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent rise above 4 percent in RPZ

Options
  • 02-09-2019 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering what peoples thoughts would be on this.

Currently renting and have been notified that my rent has come under review.

The current rent I am renting with my housemate is pretty reasonable and the landlord has decided to increase it.

But they have seemed to have raised the rent by 14 percent instead of the 4percent.

This is shown even by the RTB calculation that they provided, the highest amount they can charge is nearly 120 euro less than what they are looking to charge come December?

The only thing is even with this increase it will still be cheaper by say a 100-150 to other houses in the area.

Is this worth contesting? Am lucky to have where I am due to location etc and its getting harder to rent in cork as it is. Just kind of afraid they will tell me to leave if I dispute it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

It works out as an extra 70 a month each more, but it was more the principle of it that got me. That big of a jump and even wondering if it is legal to do this?

Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

When was needed the last rent review? Put the relevant figures into the online calculator
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz
    If the increase notified is more than the limit the notice is not valid but you would need to dispute it within the time limit (28 days AFAIK).

When was needed the last rent review? Put the relevant figures into the online calculator
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz
    If the increase notified is more than the limit the notice is not valid but you would need to dispute it within the time limit (28 days AFAIK).
    Yeah so the apartment got taken over by another company and we were told to pay a new rent.

So was in July 2018 ? This was the first rent enacted by the new owner , so this is the first rent review ?

And put in the figures and it is around 120 euro over the allowed limit alright.

In that case I wouldn't waste much time and would open a dispute about the rent increase with the RTB and notify the company you are disputing the increase.

I'd also see if I could run it by other tenants to see if the company has requested excessive rent increases from them and if it had, encourage them to dispute their increases also.

You might think it's only €120 per month (less than €30 per week), but that's €1440 per year. At the top rate of tax you would have to earn in or around €3000 to pay this rent increase so it's not insignificant.

Since you are there over six months the company can only request you to leave for the very limited reasons permitted under the residential tenancy act. Disputing an invalid increase is not one of those reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Report it assuming you're an actual tenant and not in some sort of licencee arrangement. Boils my you know what people pulling this stuff and taking advantage of people who feel lucky not to be paying more.

I don't agree with the RPZs but they are there and should be enforced.

• Advertisement

Report it assuming you're an actual tenant and not in some sort of licencee arrangement. Boils my you know what people pulling this stuff and taking advantage of people who feel lucky not to be paying more.

I don't agree with the RPZs but they are there and should be enforced.

Yeah I had a quick look at comparable apartments and there is nowhere the same price even with the increase.

What would a licencee arrangement be?, me and my housemate are both tenants on the lease as far as I know ?

Yeah I had a quick look at comparable apartments and there is nowhere the same price even with the increase.

What would a licencee arrangement be?, me and my housemate are both tenants on the lease as far as I know ?

Licencee arrangement would usually occur where you rent a room from an owner occupier who lives in the same house / apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Just tell them the are raising it above the limit and if they insist THEN raise a complaint.
    Mistakes do happen and it is the quickest solution.

Advertisement