Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More children affected by parents being in prison than by child homelessness

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Won't somebody think of the homeless children? Because obviously their parents are doing more than even non homeless children's parents :rolleyes:. No child should be homeless. No child should have a parent in prison. However, these things do not occur in a vacuum- people who are homeless or likely to be also have the ability to not have children while they are waiting for their living situation to stabilise. People who are in prison have the same ability, plus the ability to not commit crime- superhuman really.

The parents don't care about these children's wellbeing, physical, social, material, whatsoever- they are in essence being raised by the taxpayer in a financial sense but the taxpayer is the absentee parent- the only say over how these poor children are raised is by the very people who just don't have any interest in doing so.
    No, people who refuse to budge because of "entitlements" and pull such stunts as having 7 children with no means to support them EVEN WHILE THEY'RE HOMELESS, pretending to not have a relationship with the father of the children so as to get more money as a single parent while he comes and goes as he pleases, showing up to police stations declaring yourself and your children as having nowhere to go when accommodation has been offered but in an area other than you've requested- those people don't care about their children

Ah, 'they've no one to blame but themselves and we're sick of do gooders'. Got it. A dole bashing thread disguised as social commentary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've heard it all now. So parents of kids who are homeless because of FG's utter ineptness in regards to housing don't care about their children??

I think that comment referred to the people in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Two points

1. The plight of the children of criminals is getting airtime because it disproportionate impacts on the Travelling Community due the the Travelling Community's disproportionate involvement in criminality. Just ask Dr Joyce.

2. We're told that divorce in the case of a dysfunctional marriage is better for the children than the parents staying together. But yet children being seperate from incarcerated criminal parents is problematic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

No, people who refuse to budge because of "entitlements" and pull such stunts as having 7 children with no means to support them EVEN WHILE THEY'RE HOMELESS, pretending to not have a relationship with the father of the children so as to get more money as a single parent while he comes and goes as he pleases, showing up to police stations declaring yourself and your children as having nowhere to go when accommodation has been offered but in an area other than you've requested- those people don't care about their children

You know every single one of these people of course.

Why are you shouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've heard it all now. So parents of kids who are homeless because of FG's utter ineptness in regards to housing don't care about their children??

We've thousands of vacant houses around the country. What we have is a people wanting to live in the middle of the city for next to nothing crisis not a homeless crisis and that's nobodies fault but the people who want to live in the city for next to nothing.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    We've thousands of vacant houses around the country. What we have is a people wanting to live in the middle of the city for next to nothing crisis not a homeless crisis and that's nobodies fault but the people who want to live in the city for next to nothing.

Bollocks.
    Have you stats for this?
    You get to pick three areas you'd like within your area/council. Dublin City council can't offer you a house in Clare.
    This claim is so idiotic you must be joking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Del2005 wrote: »
    We're already doing this. A kid is a trouble maker in school and they get trips away and other rewards if they don't cause trouble. The kid who does their work and causes no problems doesn't get trips away or other rewards for not causing trouble. So the kids learn from an early age that the more trouble you cause the more free stuff is given to you. Then they see our "justice" system is the same so they start racking up the convictions.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    and you didnt just make this up on the spot.......? Really?

Sadly, this isn't made up.
    It used to break my heart to see the plodders who found school difficult but came in day after day ignored, when others came in sporadically, caused trouble every class they were in and then were rewarded if they managed a whole day without trouble/week full of attendance.
    Made me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

spurious wrote: »
    It used to break my heart to see the plodders who found school difficult but came in day after day ignored, when others came in sporadically, caused trouble every class they were in and then were rewarded if they managed a whole day without trouble/week full of attendance.
    Made me sick.

The intervention schemes and other "supports" that are/were put in place for truants and under age children really is a smack in the face to so many kids who struggle hard in school but keep trying.

Easier to break a few windows, try a little shoplifting and other low level criminality and get rewarded with a case worker, weekly cinema and sport trips, or subsidised i.e completely free club memberships.

It really highlights the sense of unfairness to a child when doing the right thing is unrewarded, whilst a child in the exact same circumstances apart from their criminal behaviour is rewarded.

spurious wrote: »
    Made me sick.

So should we be blaming the trouble maker kids or the educators?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So should we be blaming the trouble maker kids or the educators?

It's not the educators that push those schemes, Garda early intervention services and referral programmes, Tusla and the probation services all carry the can for this particular use of resources band reward of poor behaviour and habit.

No school even if Deis areas have the funds to be wasting on rewards and handholding IMO, but I'm sure one of the education employed posters can weigh with firmer detail on this one.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    It's not the educators that push those schemes, Garda early intervention services and referral programmes, Tusla and the probation services all carry the can for this particular use of resources band reward of poor behaviour and habit.

No school even if Deis areas have the funds to be wasting on rewards and handholding IMO, but I'm sure one of the education employed posters can weigh with firmer detail on this one.

I meant the education policy folk not teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I meant the education policy folk not teachers.

But why can't we blame their parents??

But why can't we blame their parents??

Because the parents aren't the ones organising trips as bribes?

Advertisement