Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung AND SD card encryption problem

Options
  • 03-09-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Im having a problem decrypting an SD card (micro) on a Samsung phone,
    I encrypted it, a long time ago on my A3, during this year I was looking at replacement phones second hand, I bought a newer versionthat had been factory reset in front of me, placed my SIM and SD card in it and worked away, I realised my SD card said, encrypted as I couldnt see my pictures, so I removed the SD card and refitted it to the original phone (A3 which I still have now), but it saysd the SD card is decrypted and wont allow me to decrypt it, is there anyway I can recover my pictures and files??
    software? hardware? doing something to the phone like rooting it? (the later of which Im not sure how to do?

I looked this up and it appears this has come up before with Samsung phones, I tried one suggested solution on stackexchange which said, remove the SD card, factory reset the phoen and reinstall the card, but it still cant open the pictures or files.
    Anyone I can bring it to to do this quicker, I dont want to format the card for reuse until I try something as Ive a lot of pictures on there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Anyone? hellllllp

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you factory reset the old phone? If so the data is probably gonzo.

Initially I didnt and then the only information I could find online was to remove the (micro) SD card, factory reset the phone and then re-insert the SD card, I tried before and after resetting the phone, its exactly the same as before I reset the phone, it will not allow me to decrypt the SD card.

Some ray of hope, It looks like images were being sent to an old dropbox account, I cant tell if its all of them as there were so many and my dropbox kept giving me notifications on my laptop to upgrade to a paid version, but I have a folder on my laptop which seemed to be backing at least some images up from dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Samsung do their own thing but apparently the master keys are stored on your phone and only unlocked with the pin/patt. By wiping the phone you've perma locked those files as far as I can tell.
    1 billion billion years
    As shown above, even with a supercomputer, it would take 1 billion billion years to crack the 128-bit AES key using brute force attack.

Heat death of the universe stuff.

ED E wrote: »
    Samsung do their own thing but apparently the master keys are stored on your phone and only unlocked with the pin/patt. By wiping the phone you've perma locked those files as far as I can tell.

Heat death of the universe stuff.

ok, I think they were inaccessible anyway (the phone simply wouldn't decrypt the card), or was there a way before I reset the phone??

• Advertisement
Advertisement