Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into Running

• 03-09-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I used to run regularly when I was 17-19, never very seriously just to keep fit. But I ran consistently for about 2 years, never really had any injury concerns or issues.

Since then I’ve largely gone to the gym a few times a week to keep fit but I’ve wanted to take up running again.

3 years ago I tried to start running again, I know I did too much too soon and within 2 weeks I’d given up due to pain in my knees and also on the inner side of my shins.

I’m 26 now and would like to take up running again, I went for 3 slow runs last week, just 2-4 km and I am already experiencing slight pain in my inner calf/ shin again (from googling it looks like shin splints).

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice (not medical advice re the shin splints) but is what I did last week really doing too much too soon? I have a reasonable base of fitness, I wouldn’t say I’m super fit but definitely not unfit so I thought that something like Couch to 5k was not really necessary and I would be bored. But should I have started off with that? I’m just wondering if I should stop running altogether until this (very minor pain) goes away or can I keep going with the very short distances.

Or should I just go to a physio...

Apologies if this veers into medical advice. I’m really just looking to see if I should have started off with a run/ walk strategy and where I should go next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

You could try running on grass to start with maybe? Would be easier on the legs than the pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

I'd give it a while to see if the pain subsides then start again.

Couch to 5K is a real winner. Starting too fast is the #1 mistake folks make when starting running - you have the rest of your life to really smash it. Doing a couch to 5k programme at your local running club, if one exists, is an even better option.

Well done for getting out there. Don't despair. You'll get there soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

+1 for Couch to 5K. I was like you, did too much starting back to running. Pulled muscles and blisters; running too far when I felt good, stopping short if I felt off.
    Finally I decided I needed some structure and used the NHS C25K app, with Laura and the TERRIBLE music. I thought that it would be too basic for me so I jumped ahead to week 3 and took it from there.
    It really works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

I would just say if you are going back running, invest in a proper pair of running shoes. All the other gear can be cheap as chips. It is one investment you won't regret. I learned the hard way. 🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 eoin317

I did the exact same as you and it was the same shin splint issue. Only good thing is that the pain goes away quick enough once you stop/walk.

Best thing that worked for me was to buy good shoes, tie shoes properly and then increase slowly run on run. Stopping every once and a while is no harm as well.

Fair play for getting back out there, not easy at the start but gets better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 alice14

Thank you for all of your responses :) I really appreciate them.

I think I will try the couch to 5k and maybe start from week 2 or 3.

I just don’t know whether I should wait until the niggles that have appeared completely go away or hope that the couch to 5k is gentle enough that they won’t get any worse.

Advertisement