Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus to Malaga - could it be so simple?

Options
  • 03-09-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I’ve just looked up the Air Lingus baggage policy and it seems suspiciously easy - just turn handlebars and pedals (if possible) and leave some air from tyres. Is it really that easy?
    Anyone know if the will leave bags on bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

They have in the past taken a bike from me with just some bubble wrap around the oily bits, no pedals, turned bars.

If flying out, why would you not get a cardboard box from your LBS and reduce risk of damage (unless you need to cycle to airport, of course).

I certainly would remove any bags (panniers, saddle bag, water bottles, etc etc etc) from the bike.

Bike damage (not just scratches) can and does happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

brownian wrote: »
    They have in the past taken a bike from me with just some bubble wrap around the oily bits, no pedals, turned bars.

If flying out, why would you not get a cardboard box from your LBS and reduce risk of damage (unless you need to cycle to airport, of course).

I certainly would remove any bags (panniers, saddle bag, water bottles, etc etc etc) from the bike.

Bike damage (not just scratches) can and does happen...
    Thanks. I may be cycling to the airport. I’m not sure which is safer: putting it in a cardboard box which gets thrown around or an un-protected bike which they might be more careful with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

TGD wrote: »
    Thanks. I may be cycling to the airport. I’m not sure which is safer: putting it in a cardboard box which gets thrown around or an un-protected bike which they might be more careful with.

I've never had serious damage with 10+ cardboard-box trips. I've had scratches at other times. Worst damage of all in big heavy-see-through-plastic bags, where the logic is 'they'll see they are bikes, and be nice'...or they'll drag them across the tarmac behind a jeep, judging by the damage 8-(

Another option is about three rolls of bubble wrap and a roll of that heavy-duty cling film stuff. Easier to get to the airport than a box, but less scope for popping in your shoes, helmet, wash bag, anvil, locks and chains, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Bear in mind that the airline policy may not be the airport policy! We came back from Malaga a number of years ago on Aer Lingus. We arrived at the airport and there was no way they were taking the bikes without being bagged/boxed. We had printouts of the Aer Lingus policy but it didn't matter. After about an hour of arguing and haggling they agreed to take them but just threw them flat on the oversize luggage belt/x ray with the bars turned and the pedals and saddle tie wrapped to the frame. They made it back to Dublin with some minor damage (broken helmet and saddle torn) but never again have I tried it anywhere without a box/bag. Going out as suggested above a cardboard box from your LBS is best. We always arrive and depart from different airports otherwise I would invest in a proper bike box.
    Back then Malaga airport didn't sell bike boxes but many Spanish airports provide them now for a fee.

Advertisement