Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for front face of ditch

Options
  • 03-09-2019 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Recently moved into a property with an old style country (mud) ditch fronting the road. It was overgrown with weeds and briars which we cut back. It looks pertty bad now (but better than before) and all that is growing on it is wild grass/weeds.

I am interested in planting something on the vertical side that faces onto the road and hoping for some suggestions/ideas. Ideally I would like something with a bit of colour preferably and low maintenance if possible. Its a pretty long stretch (35/40m) so something relatively cheap would be best.

Anybody have any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ferns can look great on banks like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Ferns can look great on banks like this.

I was hoping for something a bit more colourful. We live in the country and it would be nice to have something to set our ditch apart and provide a bit of contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

coL wrote: »
    I was hoping for something a bit more colourful. We live in the country and it would be nice to have something to set our ditch apart and provide a bit of contrast.

You really don't want to go too colourful for a rural ditch, or it will stick out like a sore thumb and even seem gaudy. Tones or shades of a single colour and different textures blend better, yet contrast with the neighbouring hedgerows.

Advertisement