Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Really inappropriate to mention Depo to a pregnant woman who is in for a kidney infection.

If I were her I'd go to my GP for different antibiotic.

Also re the vaccines, it gives me huge comfort that the flu in particular will protect my baby for up to 6 month I think after it is born. The risk from vaccines is tiny, far smaller than the risk of harm to the baby (and her) if she got whooping cough or the flu.

If there's no trust with the hospital I suggest setting up a meeting with you both and a patient liaison in the hospital to see what can be done. I'd be concerned she'd refuse treatment that could help her on the day of labour because she doesnt trust the midwives. And she will be in a vulnerable enough place then without that added stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Orange369 wrote: »
    How did your parents take the news? Hopefully all is good

We told them last night. I have sort of mixed feelings about it. They weren't negative or anything, and said all the right things you know like, "we are happy for you" and my dad shook OH's hand and all that. But I got the feeling they were just being polite, it was almost like how they would react if someone other than their daughter told them she was pregnant. Like they were just "saying all the right things". OH thinks it is just my anxiety, and also said that the shock might have coloured their reaction too - I suppose I have forgotten what the shock feels like, we have had a good bit of time to get used to the new normal! I suppose overall at least they were not negative and I am sure as things progress and when they please God meet bubba in a few months they will be over the moon.

My Dad did say he would "worry about me until it is all done and dusted". Bless him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Thank you, she came back again at 4am this morning after another visit, looks like no joy yet again. Augmentin has been tried for something else and worked, they haven't prescribed it since. How is the NHS for maternity care? The Depo injection is the contraceptive injection, they brought up the discussion with her again last night, we do have a large family and it is our belief that they are trying to stop us having more, after the depo injection wears off (3 months) they are taking about her getting the mirena coil fitted. Again not what my wife wants.

That sounds awful, how on earth can they comment on contraceptives like that, let alone make notes on her file about it? I would be so angry. I'm not medical so no idea why they wouldn't give another round of antibiotics. Even if they can't surely they could provide some sort of reason. I'd agree with another poster tho, if your wife can get to a GP she might be better off, although I'm sure it takes ages to get an apt which is no good if you are feeling so badly. Really hope she's doing ok. Guessing you guys are cork by your user name? Does that mean you have no choice but CUMH?

I'm not in the UK, I'm in the middle east but my GP the last time I was pregnant was UK trained. From what I can gather its very different for maternity care. For starters its all private healthcare for expats, there is no public system for us, there is no income tax etc.. Health insurance has to be provided by employers the quality of cover varies. I'm lucky enough mine is decent, but having it dependent on my work is somewhat stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

zapper55 wrote: »
    Really inappropriate to mention Depo to a pregnant woman who is in for a kidney infection.

If I were her I'd go to my GP for different antibiotic.

Also re the vaccines, it gives me huge comfort that the flu in particular will protect my baby for up to 6 month I think after it is born. The risk from vaccines is tiny, far smaller than the risk of harm to the baby (and her) if she got whooping cough or the flu.

If there's no trust with the hospital I suggest setting up a meeting with you both and a patient liaison in the hospital to see what can be done. I'd be concerned she'd refuse treatment that could help her on the day of labour because she doesnt trust the midwives. And she will be in a vulnerable enough place then without that added stress.
    She did ask for a different Antibiotic but they won't prescribe one for her, I agree it is inappropriate for them to talk to a woman who is merely 4 months pregnant to discuss contraceptives. With regards to the flu vaccine, i do recall her getting it during the first pregnancy some years ago and she coincidentally did get the flu a week or two later and vowed never again. I've offered my opinion but it was ignored. Yes there is zero trust in the hospital at this point, I must see if there is a patient liaison in the CUMH.
    wuffly wrote: »
    That sounds awful, how on earth can they comment on contraceptives like that, let alone make notes on her file about it? I would be so angry. I'm not medical so no idea why they wouldn't give another round of antibiotics. Even if they can't surely they could provide some sort of reason. I'd agree with another poster tho, if your wife can get to a GP she might be better off, although I'm sure it takes ages to get an apt which is no good if you are feeling so badly. Really hope she's doing ok. Guessing you guys are cork by your user name? Does that mean you have no choice but CUMH?

I'm not in the UK, I'm in the middle east but my GP the last time I was pregnant was UK trained. From what I can gather its very different for maternity care. For starters its all private healthcare for expats, there is no public system for us, there is no income tax etc.. Health insurance has to be provided by employers the quality of cover varies. I'm lucky enough mine is decent, but having it dependent on my work is somewhat stressful.
    The reason they are trying to push contraceptives on her is because she has been pregnant every calendar year since 2016 at some stage or another, it is a choice both of us are happy with and all pregnancies were planned. The problem with the GP is they are sending her to CUMH, CUMH on the other hand keep saying go back to your GP there is nothing we can do for you here despite the GP formally ringing and writing to them to advise same, a literal game of pass the parcel is going on. The health care in your location sounds like something people can only dream of here in Ireland. CUMH is the only hospital so we have little other choice but to go there, god be with the days when there was the Erinville, St Finbarr's and the Bons.

On a separate note, to compound matters, the CUMH are insisting that my wife must take an afternoon/early evening appointment, there has been no dating scan or ante-natal clinic appointments as a result, the one ante-natal appointment she did get was cancelled as the scan wasn't done. They did say yesterday it would be February at the earliest before the possibility of a morning appointment becomes available. The CUMH blame cut backs and said my wife needs to work around them, that as a result they cannot work around her. We never had this hassle when we were private, on this occasion we (or my wife) are public as there isn't a huge difference in the care provided.

I still think its nuts, unless they are worried about her health but even then surely it should just be adviCe not an order? And something to be discussed in a consultation not in the middle of an A&E visit.
    I hope you find the patient liaison officer and get to sort out the issues you're having with the hospital.

The medical system here is great once you have a good job and can hang out to it. On the flip side of things mat leave is 45 calendar days. So the system definitely isn't all sunshine and roses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

On a separate note, to compound matters, the CUMH are insisting that my wife must take an afternoon/early evening appointment, there has been no dating scan or ante-natal clinic appointments as a result, the one ante-natal appointment she did get was cancelled as the scan wasn't done. They did say yesterday it would be February at the earliest before the possibility of a morning appointment becomes available. The CUMH blame cut backs and said my wife needs to work around them, that as a result they cannot work around her. We never had this hassle when we were private, on this occasion we (or my wife) are public as there isn't a huge difference in the care provided.

That’s pretty weird. All of my appointments have been morning appointments. Is the domino scheme an option? The midwives are lovely and all morning appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

How is everyone feeling?! Has anyone felt baby move yet!? I'm 16 weeks now have a gender scan booked for Wednesday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I still think its nuts, unless they are worried about her health but even then surely it should just be adviCe not an order? And something to be discussed in a consultation not in the middle of an A&E visit.
    I hope you find the patient liaison officer and get to sort out the issues you're having with the hospital.

The medical system here is great once you have a good job and can hang out to it. On the flip side of things mat leave is 45 calendar days. So the system definitely isn't all sunshine and roses!
    There's no health concerns, purely the amount of children we're having and how regular it now is. I'll follow up on the patient liaison officer, never knew there was such a person. What i didn't know when last typing here was they suggested if my wife did not wish to take any contraception would i consider a vasectomy, which is 100% ruled out.
    bee06 wrote: »
    That’s pretty weird. All of my appointments have been morning appointments. Is the domino scheme an option? The midwives are lovely and all morning appointments.
    Yes it is an odd one, Domino scheme has been offered in previous pregnancies, declined on the grounds that after giving birth my wife is always out the next morning and has no midwife around the house for 5 days afterwards. The midwives are overworked i think, underpaid in many cases, this possibly the reason for them trying to force contraceptives our way.

There's no health concerns, purely the amount of children we're having and how regular it now is. I'll follow up on the patient liaison officer, never knew there was such a person. What i didn't know when last typing here was they suggested if my wife did not wish to take any contraception would i consider a vasectomy, which is 100% ruled out.

Yes it is an odd one, Domino scheme has been offered in previous pregnancies, declined on the grounds that after giving birth my wife is always out the next morning and has no midwife around the house for 5 days afterwards. The midwives are overworked i think, underpaid in many cases, this possibly the reason for them trying to force contraceptives our way.

Do you mind me asking how many children you have!? It's none of the hospitals business how many and how often you and your wife decide to have them. It's rude to suggest contraception. I am not in domino scheme but I'm sure they come see you before 5 days if you do go home early from hospital and sure you wouldnt be needing a midwife a such if it's not your first baby until day 5 when when public health nurse comes out

16 week gender scan today :eek::eek: Am so nervous, my stomach is churning... I don't have any preference, just really want this babba to be ok.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    16 week gender scan today :eek::eek: Am so nervous, my stomach is churning... I don't have any preference, just really want this babba to be ok.

Best of luck Antares! Hope it all goes well xx

Morning, How is everyone?

Has anyone else's Dr mentioned the birth already? I had my 14 week apt 2 weeks back and my Dr mentioned she wanted to induce me at 38/39 weeks. As it was only the 14wk apt I wasn't prepared for the conversation at all and my OH wasn't with me as our little fella was sick. I was a bit lamped, she kept mentioning that I was high risk and there was no way she would let me go over.

Not going over I somewhat understand, she mentioned a study recently that had terrible results with women going over that was actually called off, I'd read about it myself so didn't ask too much(I'm not mentioning details as its quiet upsetting). Anyway I was too lamped to really ask why I'm considered high risk. I was induced last time at 40+12 my old dr was very chilled and happy to let me go while there were no issues. I only just turned 36 which i know is technically geriatric pregnancy but I don't see this being a big enough deal to warrant early induction. I'm not keen on being induced early and also this rules out a water birth which i had last time which i was keen to try again. I understand not going over, I'm not entirely convinced I was that far over last time as I got pregnant almost straight away after a miscarriage so my dates were based on his size and no period date to go from. It just feels way too early to be talking about an induction.

Baby had no issues at all during pregnancy, I was quiet sick, had spd and a whole other heap of discomforts but again nothing major. No GD or anything like that.

A lot of dr's here press for c-sections and inductions to fit into their schedule, but my Dr is actually pregnant herself and won't be around so that's not a factor.

I'll be changing dr's anyway, just hoping I don't get the same story from the next one.
    Any one else being told they are high risk?

All went well at the scan. We are having a little girl! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Has anyone else's Dr mentioned the birth already? I had my 14 week apt 2 weeks back and my Dr mentioned she wanted to induce me at 38/39 weeks. As it was only the 14wk apt I wasn't prepared for the conversation at all and my OH wasn't with me as our little fella was sick. I was a bit lamped, she kept mentioning that I was high risk and there was no way she would let me go over.

Not going over I somewhat understand, she mentioned a study recently that had terrible results with women going over that was actually called off, I'd read about it myself so didn't ask too much(I'm not mentioning details as its quiet upsetting). Anyway I was too lamped to really ask why I'm considered high risk. I was induced last time at 40+12 my old dr was very chilled and happy to let me go while there were no issues. I only just turned 36 which i know is technically geriatric pregnancy but I don't see this being a big enough deal to warrant early induction. I'm not keen on being induced early and also this rules out a water birth which i had last time which i was keen to try again. I understand not going over, I'm not entirely convinced I was that far over last time as I got pregnant almost straight away after a miscarriage so my dates were based on his size and no period date to go from. It just feels way too early to be talking about an induction.

Baby had no issues at all during pregnancy, I was quiet sick, had spd and a whole other heap of discomforts but again nothing major. No GD or anything like that.

A lot of dr's here press for c-sections and inductions to fit into their schedule, but my Dr is actually pregnant herself and won't be around so that's not a factor.

I'll be changing dr's anyway, just hoping I don't get the same story from the next one.

Nothing been mentioned me to about the birth yet.
    If you are being told you are high risk then I’m sure you have a right to know why and what options you have ?

Congrats to you !
    We have our scan next Wed I’ll be two days short of 20 weeks.
    We still haven’t decided if we are going to find out what we are having.
    Husband wants to.
    I didn’t want to.
    Now I do 😂

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Congrats to you !
    We have our scan next Wed I’ll be two days short of 20 weeks.
    We still haven’t decided if we are going to find out what we are having.
    Husband wants to.
    I didn’t want to.
    Now I do ��

My Dad didn't want to know until he realised everyone else would be told, and then he didn't want to be left out! I found that I was so worked up about the scan, by the time I got there I didn't care if it was a boy or girl, just wanted it to be ok. Though I am slightly (and only very slightly!) delighted it is a wee girl :D:P Best of luck with your big scan - halfway already! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Maggiemay13

She did ask for a different Antibiotic but they won't prescribe one for her, I agree it is inappropriate for them to talk to a woman who is merely 4 months pregnant to discuss contraceptives. With regards to the flu vaccine, i do recall her getting it during the first pregnancy some years ago and she coincidentally did get the flu a week or two later and vowed never again. I've offered my opinion but it was ignored. Yes there is zero trust in the hospital at this point, I must see if there is a patient liaison in the CUMH.

The reason they are trying to push contraceptives on her is because she has been pregnant every calendar year since 2016 at some stage or another, it is a choice both of us are happy with and all pregnancies were planned. The problem with the GP is they are sending her to CUMH, CUMH on the other hand keep saying go back to your GP there is nothing we can do for you here despite the GP formally ringing and writing to them to advise same, a literal game of pass the parcel is going on. The health care in your location sounds like something people can only dream of here in Ireland. CUMH is the only hospital so we have little other choice but to go there, god be with the days when there was the Erinville, St Finbarr's and the Bons.

Corktrucker, I'm sorry but I have to add my tuppence worth here. I work in the medical field myself and I can assure you that if your wife required antibiotics, the hospital would be prescribing them for her. No medical professional will purposely put a patient's health needlessly at risk, not to mind a pregnant mother. Similarly no medical professional will prescribe a pregnant mother oral antibiotics if they are not required. That, too, would be seen as medical negligence. They have surely sat you both down and explained in clear, lay-mans terms the reason as to why she is not receiving antibiotics on this occasion?

If they are offering your wife an afternoon/early evening appointment for a scan, why is she not taking it? The hospitals are absolutely under huge pressure, if they were to start asking every public patient a date and time that suits nothing would ever get done. Just for your information I too myself have very recently given birth, as a public patient in Ireland. I took what appointments were offered, no questions asked. You are lucky that in cork an anomaly scan is offered. This is not the case in all hospitals around the country.
    As an aside, i cannot finish without mentioning that I found all the midwives I dealt with in CUMH nothing but completely professional and thorough in their duty of care. Granted that is my own, personal experience.

I had my gender scan last night and having a little girl!! So so happy I will have 2 little ladies now. Also discovered I have an anterior placenta, anyone any experience with this?

Congrats! I am having a little girl too

I am high risk too as I have high blood pressure and on medication and also aspirin. Discovered last night anterior placenta too. I was told at 14 weeks that they defo wont be letting me go overdue with the BP and probably make a plan for 39 weeks. I am more than happy to be induced at 39 weeks though, I wouldnt be allowed a water birth anyway with all my complications and 2 previous losses I will just want baby here safe so I'd be happy to go early
    . Defo ask why are you considered high risk and don't forget it's your choice and body and you can say no

• Advertisement

I had my gender scan last night and having a little girl!! So so happy I will have 2 little ladies now. Also discovered I have an anterior placenta, anyone any experience with this?

Congratulations! The sonographer told me I have an anterior placenta too but I didn't think much of it as she didn't really make a big deal of it. Is it not common? Should we be worried? I thought it just meant that the kicks might not be easily detected!

Congratulations! The sonographer told me I have an anterior placenta too but I didn't think much of it as she didn't really make a big deal of it. Is it not common? Should we be worried? I thought it just meant that the kicks might not be easily detected!

Yeah It doesn't seem to be a big issue at all just less movements felt, she said that it usually moves up during pregnancy. It's only if it blocks cervix that a section could be needed from what I am reading. Very unlikely hopefully

I’m having a bad week and hoping someone might be able to help / have some tips for me.
    I had the worst stomach bug I’ve ever had in my life on Sunday night / Monday morning.
    I couldn’t even keep water in.
    I went to my GP as I was worried about being dehydrated and hurting bump.
    GP was fantastic (let’s ignore the 2 hour wait !) he gave me anti nausea injection , checked my bp, took urine sample and checked bumps heart beat. I was dehydrated as expected but he was happy for me to go home. He also gave me a cert for the whole week which at the time I thought was a bit extreme and I had been thinking that I would be ok for work on Thur or Friday. Ha ha ha ..... no.
    I’m miserable.
    I’ve no appetite so I’ve no energy.
    Then I try to eat and I feel like I’m going to be sick again.
    Vicious circle ....
    I’m not one for sitting around I’m always super busy but I’ve only moved from bed to kitchen today to have water and tea and back to sofa.
    Has anyone any suggestions at all please ?
    Thank you in advance and sorry for long post !

I have an anterior placenta this time and on my first. As long as it’s safely away from the cervix there is no impact other than a bit less movement felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I’m having a bad week and hoping someone might be able to help / have some tips for me.
    I had the worst stomach bug I’ve ever had in my life on Sunday night / Monday morning.
    I couldn’t even keep water in.
    I went to my GP as I was worried about being dehydrated and hurting bump.
    GP was fantastic (let’s ignore the 2 hour wait !) he gave me anti nausea injection , checked my bp, took urine sample and checked bumps heart beat. I was dehydrated as expected but he was happy for me to go home. He also gave me a cert for the whole week which at the time I thought was a bit extreme and I had been thinking that I would be ok for work on Thur or Friday. Ha ha ha ..... no.
    I’m miserable.
    I’ve no appetite so I’ve no energy.
    Then I try to eat and I feel like I’m going to be sick again.
    Vicious circle ....
    I’m not one for sitting around I’m always super busy but I’ve only moved from bed to kitchen today to have water and tea and back to sofa.
    Has anyone any suggestions at all please ?
    Thank you in advance and sorry for long post !

I had that a few weeks ago. Just don't eat and Rest lots and lots of rest and it will pass. Dioralyte and water. Mine started Monday and eventually passed Sunday. I barely ate anything and that was tough for me. I love food. My Dr said to give my tum and bowel a rest and not to eat. I was also wrecked for the week after. Its a rotten bug and floors you. Hope it passes soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rest, rest, rest.Since having kids, it has brought home to me that sleep can cure so much.
    You will have to just accept that your place is on the sofa and in bed for the next few days.
    Some plain biscuits can be ok, maybe plain toast.

bee06 wrote: »
    I have an anterior placenta this time and on my first. As long as it’s safely away from the cervix there is no impact other than a bit less movement felt.

Did you have extra scans to make sure it was away from cervix? Suppose they will tell me more at the 20 weeks scan

Did you have extra scans to make sure it was away from cervix? Suppose they will tell me more at the 20 weeks scan

Nope, it was never in danger of getting too low for me so no extra precautions were needed.

Does anyone know if they will give extra scans on public if there is an anterior placenta? So far I have found Holles Street great but I know they are stretched (pardon the pun) and I don't mind booking in private scans to supplement if we have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

Does anyone know if they will give extra scans on public if there is an anterior placenta? So far I have found Holles Street great but I know they are stretched (pardon the pun) and I don't mind booking in private scans to supplement if we have to.

Hi Antares,

I have an anterior facing placenta too. Seems to be common enough. She told me it might be harder to feel movement and that the only issue would be if it was covering or partially covering the cervix.

I'm sure they will keep an eye on it anyway. When I had my appointment at 17 weeks, I had a scan done too. I had mentioned that I didn't know there would be a scan and was told that there would be one at every visit. I think it's their standard process as I'm a public patient.

Advertisement