Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

KettleMH wrote: »
    Hi Antares,

I have an anterior facing placenta too. Seems to be common enough. She told me it might be harder to feel movement and that the only issue would be if it was covering or partially covering the cervix.

I'm sure they will keep an eye on it anyway. When I had my appointment at 17 weeks, I had a scan done too. I had mentioned that I didn't know there would be a scan and was told that there would be one at every visit. I think it's their standard process as I'm a public patient.

That's fantastic - thanks for the info! I have my scan late January and an outpatients appointment on Feb 3rd - I wonder if they will scan so close together! :) They seem to be very good so far. Best of luck with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dr.pepper123

Found out on Wednesday I'm 18 weeks pregnant, to say I'm shocked isn't the word! It's my first. I've been on holidays, on a cruise, eating and drinking things I shouldn't have but baba is there dancing around, perfectly formed. :) Hoping to get the 20-week scan moved forward. Does anyone have any advice, or some sort of timeline for preparations? I don't know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Found out on Wednesday I'm 18 weeks pregnant, to say I'm shocked isn't the word! It's my first. I've been on holidays, on a cruise, eating and drinking things I shouldn't have but baba is there dancing around, perfectly formed. :) Hoping to get the 20-week scan moved forward. Does anyone have any advice, or some sort of timeline for preparations? I don't know where to start!

Wow!! That must have been a shock. To be honest, you haven’t missed much. Not much happens in the 1st and 2nd trimesters anyway in terms of scans, appointments etc. You might want to check in antenatal and breastfeeding classes alright as they tend to book up quickly in some hospitals. In terms of buying stuff I’d recommend waiting until you are further along because the earlier you start the more you buy in my experience.

My appointment schedule is midwife at 20 weeks, GP at 24 and 28, midwife at 32 and then alternating from GP to midwife every 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Wow that must have been quite the shock !
    Congrats to you !
    You are a week behind me I have my nursery bits ordered as my local nursery allows you to put stuff by with a 10 percent deposit and then can pay off a bit each week / month whatever you want to do.
    I don’t have any clothes yet I don’t know how much to get or how many of each size.
    I have my scan on wed so we said we would wait til after this and given it’s so close to Christmas prob be Jan when we go looking.
    Having said that there’s no rush. My boss is due in March and she doesn’t have anything yet it’s all personal preference.
    Best of luck going forward !

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Wow that must have been quite the shock !
    Congrats to you !
    You are a week behind me I have my nursery bits ordered as my local nursery allows you to put stuff by with a 10 percent deposit and then can pay off a bit each week / month whatever you want to do.
    I don’t have any clothes yet I don’t know how much to get or how many of each size.
    I have my scan on wed so we said we would wait til after this and given it’s so close to Christmas prob be Jan when we go looking.
    Having said that there’s no rush. My boss is due in March and she doesn’t have anything yet it’s all personal preference.
    Best of luck going forward !

Hi Dragonfly,

What's the name of the store? That's really handy being able to pay a deposit and then installments!

• Advertisement

Hi Dragonfly,

What's the name of the store? That's really handy being able to pay a deposit and then installments!

It’s the happy baby nursery in Gorey

I. Cant. Stop. Coughing.

Driving myself mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Wife had a 3D scan at 12 weeks as she couldn’t get one in CUMH. Tomorrow is the gender scan and as booking was being made the sonographer commented she was of the opinion from the 12 week scan it was a girl. Apparently even then it is accurate?

In relation to the other comments I have yet to reply to, I apologise, I will get to them, I’ve many unread posts/mails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Wife had a 3D scan at 12 weeks as she couldn’t get one in CUMH. Tomorrow is the gender scan and as booking was being made the sonographer commented she was of the opinion from the 12 week scan it was a girl. Apparently even then it is accurate?

In relation to the other comments I have yet to reply to, I apologise, I will get to them, I’ve many unread posts/mails etc.

The earliest gender scan I found was 16 weeks! I didnt think they could tell at 12 weeks but I might be wrong. Congrats I am also due a baby girl:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Orange369 wrote: »
    The earliest gender scan I found was 16 weeks! I didnt think they could tell at 12 weeks but I might be wrong. Congrats I am also due a baby girl:)

They were spot on with their 12 week scan, it’s a girl, my 6th :rolleyes: I have sons as well but no where near as many. Congratulations to you also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Firstly- I’m not due anything in May 2020, I’m just idly reading through random threads! This happened me three years ago now (minus the cruise etc, I had a small baby at home), found out when I was 20 weeks or so. Was mortified and shocked in equal measure. It was great though, fastest pregnancy ever, all the rest have been Soooo long in comparison, lol.
    You’ve nothing to do really, except probably start buying a few maternity clothes, everything else can wait! Good luck!

Hi all, heading to GP this evening as I had flu shot over the weekend and feeling rotten now. I don't know if it is side effects or actual illness form elsewhere. Temperature, sore throat and chest etc. Does anyone know from experience if a standard GP can check baby's heartbeat with a Doppler? We have already had 9, 12 and 17 week scans, so I don't want to overdo this, especially as big scan due in 3 weeks anyway. It is more just for my own peace of mind to see if she is ok. Haven't taken anything except 1 paracetamol and some hot water with honey and lemon :o

Antares35 wrote: »
    Hi all, heading to GP this evening as I had flu shot over the weekend and feeling rotten now. I don't know if it is side effects or actual illness form elsewhere. Temperature, sore throat and chest etc. Does anyone know from experience if a standard GP can check baby's heartbeat with a Doppler? We have already had 9, 12 and 17 week scans, so I don't want to overdo this, especially as big scan due in 3 weeks anyway. It is more just for my own peace of mind to see if she is ok. Haven't taken anything except 1 paracetamol and some hot water with honey and lemon :o

Hope you feel better soon
    I have been sick for the last 2 weeks :(
    I had a stomach bug first.... as I was dehydrated the GP did listen in
    And I was back last week with a chest infection and he didnt listen in
    I think it all depends on the GP tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Hi Girls,

Merry Christmas and lovely New Year!

I had my scan yesterday, 21 weeks and 2 days today. Bambino is almost half kilos. and he is all good. I also have anterior placenta so will not feel baby moves till week 24. Sometimes I do little movements but not much.
    Cant wait for my baby. Slowly thinking what to buy for Him. The list is endless.

Are there any parents on here who could recommend books for first timers? There are do many books out there with very mixed reviews!

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Hi Girls,

Merry Christmas and lovely New Year!

I had my scan yesterday, 21 weeks and 2 days today. Bambino is almost half kilos. and he is all good. I also have anterior placenta so will not feel baby moves till week 24. Sometimes I do little movements but not much.
    Cant wait for my baby. Slowly thinking what to buy for Him. The list is endless.

I’ve been picking up bits here and there but I’ve no idea what I “need” and what isn’t needed

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Are there any parents on here who could recommend books for first timers? There are do many books out there with very mixed reviews!

I find what to expect when you are expecting to be very reassuring and useful so I'd say their follow on books for kids up to the age of one would be very good too.

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I’ve been picking up bits here and there but I’ve no idea what I “need” and what isn’t needed

Before I had my first baby I packed my hospital bag, going by a list that was given to me in the hospital. I bought a car seat, a pram and a Moses basket. I didn’t get one other thing besides those, and I had everything I needed.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Before I had my first baby I packed my hospital bag, going by a list that was given to me in the hospital. I bought a car seat, a pram and a Moses basket. I didn’t get one other thing besides those, and I had everything I needed.

I wish I could thank this more than once. A lot of baby stuff is completely unnecessary. I see some of my friends spending money on stuff they never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Agree with this as well, most stuff can wait until after the baby arrives, all kids are so different. Just get the minimum. My buggy which thankfully was 2nd hand was a total waste, my son hated it. Loved the carrier tho, anytime i went out with the buggy I ended up with him in the carrier pushing the buggy! Its the opposite for lots of people tho so I wouldn't rush out for either. Car seat is essential for car travel, somewhere to sleep but not necessarily a moses basket, they out grow them so fast, we got one from friend, I'm looking for a 2nd hand next to me cot this time. Its a bit bigger and attaches to the bed, which means less up and down hopefully(providing BF is less of a disaster this time!). If you have a moses basket or something similar, you won't need a larger cot for a few months. Don't over stock on nappies or wipes, you won't know what suits your little one and you don't want to be stuck with nappies or wipes that irritate their skin or leak etc...
    Try and stick with the hospital list if you can. x

• Advertisement

wuffly wrote: »
    Agree with this as well, most stuff can wait until after the baby arrives, all kids are so different. Just get the minimum. My buggy which thankfully was 2nd hand was a total waste, my son hated it. Loved the carrier tho, anytime i went out with the buggy I ended up with him in the carrier pushing the buggy! Its the opposite for lots of people tho so I wouldn't rush out for either. Car seat is essential for car travel, somewhere to sleep but not necessarily a moses basket, they out grow them so fast, we got one from friend, I'm looking for a 2nd hand next to me cot this time. Its a bit bigger and attaches to the bed, which means less up and down hopefully(providing BF is less of a disaster this time!). If you have a moses basket or something similar, you won't need a larger cot for a few months. Don't over stock on nappies or wipes, you won't know what suits your little one and you don't want to be stuck with nappies or wipes that irritate their skin or leak etc...
    Try and stick with the hospital list if you can. x

I retired that Moses basket fairly fast, my eldest outgrew it at 2 weeks old! I bought a next to me for my second baby, great investment. I saw somewhere yesterday that aldi have co-sleepers coming up in their next baby event in jan. but I have a recollection that you’re not in Ireland, unless that’s changed!

I retired that Moses basket fairly fast, my eldest outgrew it at 2 weeks old! I bought a next to me for my second baby, great investment. I saw somewhere yesterday that aldi have co-sleepers coming up in their next baby event in jan. but I have a recollection that you’re not in Ireland, unless that’s changed!

Thanks, nope not in Ireland unfortunately. Thankfully its easy to come by 2nd hand baby stuff here in pretty good condition. Can't believe your eldest out grew the moses basket in 2 weeks we got 3 months out if it I think.

wuffly wrote: »
    Thanks, nope not in Ireland unfortunately. Thankfully its easy to come by 2nd hand baby stuff here in pretty good condition. Can't believe your eldest out grew the moses basket in 2 weeks we got 3 months out if it I think.

He was crazy long, he’s still tall! Maybe it was a small Moses basket too though. I was only thinking the other day that he grew out of the lie flat part of the pram at around 4 months, but his baby sister is still in it at nearly 6mths, with plenty space

Do you still need bottles / sterilising equipment if planning to breastfeed?

Do you still need bottles / sterilising equipment if planning to breastfeed?

I would say no. I bought bottles and a steriliser before I had my first and never used any of it. It’s not recommended to pump for the first 6 weeks while your supply adjusts because it can lead to over supply. I never bothered pumping then until I went back to work at 10 months because it was extra work. He took milk from a sippy cup at that stage. You don’t need to sterilise anyway for a full term healthy baby. Formula bottles need sterilising because formula itself isn’t sterile.

Hope you are all doing well.

Feeling like my OH is not as supportive as he should be, or perhaps I am over sensitive because of the enormity of what is happening. I've been concerned lately about losing my baby, as I had a loss in the past and also as a woman I think naturally we worry until the tiny baby is in our arms at last! I might be guilty of panicking every time I feel or dont feel something! Anyway he snapped at me this evening and said "for Gods sake can you stop talking about death all the time. Everything is fine and she will be ok". I just apologised and said I thought as my fiance that I could confide my fears in him of all people, and I wish I had his blind faith that all would be ok! Then later I was watching Call the Midwife (hurrah it's back!) and as sods law would have it, he came in just when someone's water broke and said "do we really need to watch this??". I said "what like as opposed to the usual rape and violence we see so much of in the crime and thrillers we usually watch?". And this is the guy who is meant to be with me at the birth, he can't bear to see a fictional woman's fictional waters breaking?! :) Sorry for the rant, just feeling less than supported right now :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah Antares, men just don't get it.Literally, as a man once told me, the baby is a theoretical concept until it is in their arms.My husband would not watch that stuff on the TV either and he has been present at the birth of our 3 babies now.They stay at the head end!! :-) I think they have a male urge to protect and this is one thing they are literally helpless and pushed to one side in.Or at least that is how my husband eventually explained it.

The best you can do is try to push those fears to one side as much as you can.It is always a fear and yeah, those few seconds til you hear that first cry is an agonising wait.But look try to take it week by week and talk to the GP/nurse at your appointments about your worries too.

I personally don’t like watching those shows either especially when I’m pregnant. Another thing to remember is he’s also worried about you, not just the baby but might not want to show it and add to your worries.

I’d also recommend taking to your GP/midwife. Pre natal depression and anxiety are not as well known as post natal but can have a big impact on you.

Antares sorry to hear your feeling like that. As a few others have said he probably has worries and fears too even though his reaction wasn't great. Maybe try talking to him again about your fears and check how he's doing as well.
    As for watching something like call the midwife, I wouldn't be able, not so much re the waters breaking but more so its more the dramatic side of birth etc.. maybe that's where he's coming from.
    I'm still an emotional wreck watching certain things on tv after my first child.
    Re your own fears, I have an idea where you are coming from we had 2 losses before our son and nearly 2 years trying to get pregnant again. I literally have 2 photos of me with a bump from last time, as I was terrified something would go wrong and wouldn't want to see photos of myself pregnant. I don't have any words of advice other than listen to your dr and listen to your body and if you need to talk to someone do it. Your mental health is so important especially when you'll be more exhausted and emotional than you can imagine after baby arrives. I don't mean that in a scary way more so its manageable but we all need help all be it in different ways and we shouldn't be afraid to ask. Mind yourself x

• Advertisement

I never ever understood why women were so anxious about a loss as most pregnancies turn out ok.

Now that I'm pregnant I totally get it, it's like a switch flicked. A hormonal anxious one!

Also I cant bare those programmes, a bit like your hubby, and I'd say he totally is worried about you too but of course doesn't want to worry you by saying so. And is prob worried about saying the wrong thing.

What you are both doing/saying is completely understandable. But def chat to your gp if you feel a bit overwhelmed by the worry. Mind yourself xx

Advertisement