Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I found last time Next (online) was great for maternity wear, their returns are also very easy.
    Also ASOS, can be very good. It can be a bit hit or miss with dresses I find they often run short, so i'd be mindful of that before ordering.
    Dresses can be a bit awkward to get right due to the ever changing bump, they often have too much room when you get them first then super tight by the end.

KettleMH wrote: »
    Thanks Wuffly but it’s more to do with the stroller / buggy and frame. Car seat shouldn’t be an issue, I don’t think... hadn’t even considered that would be a problem!

Sorry totally misread the original post! :o I'm going with baby brain lol!

Small travel system will prob depend on where you plan to use it?
    We have a mountain buggy nano which we got when my son got a bit older he hated the bugaboo, i think because he was just nosey in the bassinet phase loved the carrier! The MB is very handy for traveling fits over head in a plane, so any car boot should be fine. You can strap a maxi cosi car seat to it, it doesn't have adapters but its pretty easy as far as I know, mine was too old for the maxi cosi when we got it. A friend of mine went through a good few buggys and this is what she used from birth on her last. She also had the cocoon/bassinet which you buy separately.
    Basically its a very handy small buggy but the wheels are small so it would be rough ride off smooth roads and footpaths. If you plan to do a lot if walking you need bigger wheels.
    There's also the yoyo which is more expensive again but has the car seat adapters.
    I don't know about any other systems, again prob worth taking your car the show room and seeing what fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This might sound odd but has anyone thought of how they will nominate a guardian for their baby if something happens to both parents? I know it isn't nice to think about, but it was just mentioned to me in a different context (discussing godparents, whose role it is to look after the child's faith etc.) and then I just had a thought, feck what about actually looking after the child if something happens!

My first thought would be the grandparents but I have reservations because of their age. Anyway just wondering if this was on anyone else's list of things to think about!:)

Hope you are all doing well.

Antares35 wrote: »
    This might sound odd but has anyone thought of how they will nominate a guardian for their baby if something happens to both parents? I know it isn't nice to think about, but it was just mentioned to me in a different context (discussing godparents, whose role it is to look after the child's faith etc.) and then I just had a thought, feck what about actually looking after the child if something happens!

My first thought would be the grandparents but I have reservations because of their age. Anyway just wondering if this was on anyone else's list of things to think about!:)

Hope you are all doing well.

Not odd at all, def something to consider and also nothing is written in stone so it can be changed so don't worry about that. Our nominated guardians for our son are slightly different from his godparents. Basically my brother is godfather and OH's sister is godmother but in the event something happened to both of us her and her husband would look after our son. They have 3 kids and we feel they would make the best alternative family for him.

If things change and we feel it wouldn't be the right fit for him and our next child we'd re-adjust the guardianship. Also we discussed this with OH's sister as well. This child will have different god parents who will have nothing to do with guardianship.

Its something we've had to do as we currently live in a country technically under Sharia law so he would officially go to my husbands Dad or oldest brother, incidentally once he's over 7 the same would apply even if I were still alive. So we have a guardianship document in place to cover our wishes. This is more worst case scenario as you never hear of kids being taken and given like this but it technically could happen. Its probably cheaper and more straightforward at home. Its complicated, but something to properly consider and discuss with those involved. Another aspect is your life insurance/assets and managing them in relation to your kids and their guardians to make sure the kids are provided for. I think a will should cover all aspects. Taking on someone else's kids is a huge additional cost.

wuffly wrote: »
    Not odd at all, def something to consider and also nothing is written in stone so it can be changed so don't worry about that. Our nominated guardians for our son are slightly different from his godparents. Basically my brother is godfather and OH's sister is godmother but in the event something happened to both of us her and her husband would look after our son. They have 3 kids and we feel they would make the best alternative family for him.

If things change and we feel it wouldn't be the right fit for him and our next child we'd re-adjust the guardianship. Also we discussed this with OH's sister as well. This child will have different god parents who will have nothing to do with guardianship.

Its something we've had to do as we currently live in a country technically under Sharia law so he would officially go to my husbands Dad or oldest brother, incidentally once he's over 7 the same would apply even if I were still alive. So we have a guardianship document in place to cover our wishes. This is more worst case scenario as you never hear of kids being taken and given like this but it technically could happen. Its probably cheaper and more straightforward at home. Its complicated, but something to properly consider and discuss with those involved. Another aspect is your life insurance/assets and managing them in relation to your kids and their guardians to make sure the kids are provided for. I think a will should cover all aspects. Taking on someone else's kids is a huge additional cost.

Just clarify family would obviously take on our kids with a heart and half but we wouldn't want to put them under additional strain(financial) if it can be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We have 3 and they wouldn't go to godparents, not least because godparents are not couples.
    I have meant to do something about this a long time ago, but haven't.Reluctant to consider grandparents either because their age and because there is a big disparity in parental age and family size between us.I would rather they went to the (younger) grandparents with a few kids, and large extended family for help- he doesn't necessarily see it that way (also feel there would be offense taken...).It's a hard thing to think about.

Honestly for those that have nothing in place, I'd say have a good chat with your partners and decide who you want raising your kids if the worst happens. Talk to the people involved as they should really have a say. We are guardians for OH's sisters kids and it was somewhat of a surprise but when they went through their reasoning we realised we would be a good fit for their kids. I'm glad that we know we are their guardians. Once its all agreed just make an appointment with your solicitor. Prob best to make a plan for assets as well, in Ireland as far as I know there's no need for a separate document so may as well get it all done.
    It can always be revised updated as needs be, and its something that should be done as things do change.
    A tragic event is hard enough and people get weird enough about assets etc. a will is really the best way to make sure your wishes are carried out in as much as they can be. Ideally its not something that will need to be used for a very very long time. Its so much more serious than people taking offence and doesn't mean you think those people don't love or care for your kids you have valid reasons to put them with the people that will provide the best alternative family, everyone should still be involved overall.

Honestly for those that have nothing in place, I'd say have a good chat with your partners and decide who you want raising your kids if the worst happens. Talk to the people involved as they should really have a say. We are guardians for OH's sisters kids and it was somewhat of a surprise but when they went through their reasoning we realised we would be a good fit for their kids. I'm glad that we know we are their guardians. Once its all agreed just make an appointment with your solicitor. Prob best to make a plan for assets as well, in Ireland as far as I know there's no need for a separate document so may as well get it all done.
    It can always be revised updated as needs be, and its something that should be done as things do change.
    A tragic event is hard enough and people get weird enough about assets etc. a will is really the best way to make sure your wishes are carried out in as much as they can be. Ideally its not something that will need to be used for a very very long time. Its so much more serious than people taking offence and doesn't mean you think those people don't love or care for your kids you have valid reasons to put them with the people that will provide the best alternative family, everyone should still be involved overall.

I'm sure my own family are disappointed not be guardians to our son but my parents are too old and both my siblings are single and work alot. I know each of them would give him a loving home but OH's sister is a Mum with kids and would just be better equipped to take him on. Her life is already set up for kids. Someone else in our shoes might make a different choice.

Is anyone else getting back pain? My right side about half way up is killing me at the moment.
    I switched to sleeping on my left side finally (I hate it) So I can't see why my right side would be hurting. I was stuck in 2hours worth of traffic yesterday which didn't help.
    I'm only just back up to pre pregnancy weight (after all the sickness earlier on) so i don't think its a weight thing.
    I had back pain last time but that was only after weeks of spd, thankfully have only had a few twinges of that so far. I'm pretty sure it was more my lower back then. I just cannot get comfortable!

Is anyone else getting back pain? My right side about half way up is killing me at the moment.
    I switched to sleeping on my left side finally (I hate it) So I can't see why my right side would be hurting. I was stuck in 2hours worth of traffic yesterday which didn't help.
    I'm only just back up to pre pregnancy weight (after all the sickness earlier on) so i don't think its a weight thing.
    I had back pain last time but that was only after weeks of spd, thankfully have only had a few twinges of that so far. I'm pretty sure it was more my lower back then. I just cannot get comfortable!

Have found that over the last week or so. I thought I would be ok as only up 7lb so far, but the bump has other ideas! Seems to be mostly back pain but also stitch like pain in my ribs on both sides if I sit too long.
    The joys :P

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your advice and views. I think we will go with my parents and then nominate my own godmother and her husband, who live nearby and are a good 15 years younger than my parents, in case my parents are too old or something happens to them. OH had suggested his sister, who I ordinarily would be happy with but as she lives in a different country, it would mean that if anything happened to us, our daughter would be uprooted from her school etc. on top of that.

Had check up in Holles St this morning. All going well thank God. No scan but they checked the heartbeat and it's still good and strong :) Checked for diabetes too. Am hugely impressed with the public system so far. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ck18

I’m currently pregnant on my second! My sister and her husband will be guardian for my children if anything were to happen... luckily in Ireland we don’t have to worry too much about putting a financial burden on others as the new guardians will get the guardian payment for each child until they turn 18 or 22 If in education and living with them (goes to child otherwise) and it’s €186 weekly.

Just curious how much weight has every gained?

Ck18 wrote: »
    I’m currently pregnant on my second! My sister and her husband will be guardian for my children if anything were to happen... luckily in Ireland we don’t have to worry too much about putting a financial burden on others as the new guardians will get the guardian payment for each child until they turn 18 or 22 If in education and living with them (goes to child otherwise) and it’s €186 weekly.

I didn't know that!

Congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

I have gained 8lbs so far (am 24.5 weeks). Trying not to gain too much in first 2 trimesters as I heard last one is where it can pile on, and I had some weight to lose before becoming pregnant.

Is this a new thing? Had no idea, good to know there is some support for guardians.

Just curious how much weight has every gained?

Lost 6kg in the first 12 weeks, back up by about 4kg now.

No the payment isn’t new it’s around years at minimum, I went through a phase a few years back with my first where I was quite worried and did all the research... if you want to know more about it just google guardian payment specifically on citizens information... explains it really well!

I lost 2lbs and I’m only back up the 2lbs so in essence no weight gain at 25wks, I was a bit concerned but glad to hear I’m not the only one! I was a bit overweight before getting pregnant so I probably already have the recommended fat stores 😂

No the payment isn’t new it’s around years at minimum, I went through a phase a few years back with my first where I was quite worried and did all the research... if you want to know more about it just google guardian payment specifically on citizens information... explains it really well!

I lost 2lbs and I’m only back up the 2lbs so in essence no weight gain at 25wks, I was a bit concerned but glad to hear I’m not the only one! I was a bit overweight before getting pregnant so I probably already have the recommended fat stores ��

This is my thinking too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

Hi guys! Anyone have any recommendations for a belt to help with Symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD) / pelvic girdle pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi guys! Anyone have any recommendations for a belt to help with Symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD) / pelvic girdle pain?

Holles st gave them to me on my last pregnancy. Not sure of the name though.are you going to the physio in your hospital? They should have them and you can try them on and see what suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

Blingy wrote: »
    Holles st gave them to me on my last pregnancy. Not sure of the name though.are you going to the physio in your hospital? They should have them and you can try them on and see what suits.

Thanks! Do Holles St do physio? I’ve been paying myself. She recommended Serola belt but I don’t know if I’m using it correctly. I’m seeing the consultant on Monday and I can ask them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks! Do Holles St do physio? I’ve been paying myself. She recommended Serola belt but I don’t know if I’m using it correctly. I’m seeing the consultant on Monday and I can ask them then.

Ask to be referred at your next appointment. There is a bit of a waiting list though but always good to see them anyway even if you are going privately too.

I had the serola last time and found it good, my physio did fit it though and showed me how to wear it properly, not that its rocket science or anything, but getting the fit right makes a difference.
    It definitely helped in conjunction with the physio. You do have to wear it all the time when you are up and about I found. For me nothing I did really made it go away it just stopped it getting worse and made walking around manageable. Just do things slowly and like an old lady. Like sitting in to the car bum first then swinging both legs in together and same getting out.(hope that description makes sense) Sitting down and putting both legs in your pants/trousers first. Much less painful than the normal one at a time. Its really uncomfortable, i hope you get some relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Putting a plastic bag on the car seat makes it easier to turn and swing both legs out at once without any shearing forces on the pelvis.
    All maternity hospitals should have a physio (free) service. You’ll need a referral from your doc. Usually they will supply support belts etc. For free, but not always.

Hi all, been having very bad pains - best way to describe it is like an electric shock in the pelvic region. It started last night and they were literally like shocks every ten seconds. Lasted about 2 hours. Today, they are intermittent. I contacted Holles St and they very kindly came back and said they have 24/7 A&E and to drop in to get checked. So, we are heading there after work. Some people have said it could be the head engaging but I am only 27 weeks. Fingers crossed our little girl is ok. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Sounds like the aptly named lightening crotch. Hope all will be fine but definitely good to get it checked.

zapper55 wrote: »
    Sounds like the aptly named lightening crotch. Hope all will be fine but definitely good to get it checked.

Says "Zapper" :D That has given me a laugh :):) Thank you - I am hoping it is this too. TBH I'll be mortified if I am just over-reacting but I suppose better to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Never be mortified for getting a concern checked out :)

I was in Coombe A&E a while ago and it ended up being nothing but the midwives were so reassuring and said to definitely come in if I was worried.

Haha never.made the connection with my username :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Has anyone started on their hospital bags!? I am 28 weeks tomorrow now. Feeling the strain now in work! Goinf to start getting some bits and pieces organised for hospital soon

• Advertisement

Orange369 wrote: »
    Has anyone started on their hospital bags!? I am 28 weeks tomorrow now. Feeling the strain now in work! Goinf to start getting some bits and pieces organised for hospital soon

That's mad, I'm 28 weeks on Sunday and was thinking of sorting hospital bag this weekend! :D Every time I look online I find a different list of hospital bag "essentials". I can't quite bring myself to buy maternity pads just yet :pac:

Advertisement