Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Ah we are all in the same boat, it's hard to even think about our families not meeting our new arrivals :( I just moved house too so a bit all over the place preparing for baby. Had to buy everything for her online with all the shops now closed, her car seat arrived today! My double buggy is on the way too. I have to wash all the clothes and blankets now, my daughter is 17 months I have have basically everything from her which is very handy. I have started buying nappies and formula too to have some bits but don't want to go too mad especially with formula in case it doesn't agree with her etc. My hospital bag consists of 3 night dresses and a pair of slippers so far lol. Need to get that packed ASAP

Antares35 wrote: »
    You're a day ahead of me! :D

Ah I am due 23rd of May! In the Coombe myself, where are you heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Orange369 wrote: »

Holles St :) May 24th fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

I am due 27 May in the Coombe. I hope restrictions will have eased by then and this virus would have slowed down.
    Still can’t believe this is actually happening!

Touchee wrote: »
    I am due 27 May in the Coombe. I hope restrictions will have eased by then and this virus would have slowed down.
    Still can’t believe this is actually happening!

I know it doesn't feel real at all does it? Hopefully our babies stay in to close to due dates and the restrictions are less strict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

It's tough going isn't it! I am 32 weeks 4 days so still a bit to go but feeling anxious about having baby during this madness. Staying in now except for a short walk each day, signed off work sick too. How are you? Just hoping our OHs are allowed in for the births of our babies

Im 35 weeks tomorrow so im trying to face up to the fact that its not going to be the way it was "meant to be". Currently the hospital im attending are allowing partners for the birth itself but not before or after. They have said this may change and not be allowed in at all so im just trying to get my head around that and try work out how I can get home as quickly as possible.
    Im still working full from around 45 hours a week but have been able to work from home for the last 2 weeks thankfully.
    Husband is also able to work from home currently so we have only been going out for walks and grocery shopping when its needed. I got away with avoiding supermarkets last week but will prob have to venture in this weekend. Or I might drive in and let himself do the actual shopping. He isnt allowed drive with a recently diagnosed condition so its not good timing!

What has everyone packed for their hospital bag?
    Mine is soooo big ill prob have to unpack it and start again but when theres no visitors allowed I would prefer to have it than want it

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Im 35 weeks tomorrow so im trying to face up to the fact that its not going to be the way it was "meant to be". Currently the hospital im attending are allowing partners for the birth itself but not before or after. They have said this may change and not be allowed in at all so im just trying to get my head around that and try work out how I can get home as quickly as possible.
    Im still working full from around 45 hours a week but have been able to work from home for the last 2 weeks thankfully.
    Husband is also able to work from home currently so we have only been going out for walks and grocery shopping when its needed. I got away with avoiding supermarkets last week but will prob have to venture in this weekend. Or I might drive in and let himself do the actual shopping. He isnt allowed drive with a recently diagnosed condition so its not good timing!

What has everyone packed for their hospital bag?
    Mine is soooo big ill prob have to unpack it and start again but when theres no visitors allowed I would prefer to have it than want it

We are pretty much the same. Haven't really ventured out except to walk the dog. There are loads of things I am craving but don't actually "need" so I cannot justify leaving the house just yet :D

I packed a normal 20kilo size suitcase for my hospital bag. Not sure if this is too big? It's nearly full already though, so a smaller one won't do. So far have:

2 x towels
    Flip Flops
    Toiletries including lanolin
    1 pack of newborn nappies
    1 pack of wipes
    2 packs of maternity pads
    5 newborn vests
    5 newborn sleepsuits
    1 going home outfit for baby.
    Fluffy socks
    Nappy rash cream
    Multipack of extra large, black pants :rolleyes:
    2 cellular blankets

Still need to fit in nursing nightdress, nursing bra and own going home outfit! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Hi Dragonfly,

I am nearly 35 weeks too, and this morning I have got my labour ward bag packed. Starting to feel very real now and the little guy is very active during the day and night. It's getting to the stage now where his current living quarters are very cramped! :)

As per previous posts I will be giving birth in Holles St, I live outside Dublin so I am the same I would like to have too much with me rather than too little. I have a large suitcase, one of the big holiday ones which is 31 x 58 x 79 cm which is looking gigantic at the moment, and I am now wondering if this is too big too bring with me for the postnatal ward (I am a first time mum so a bit clueless about this).

For my bags I am trying to stick as much as possible to this list http://www.nmh.ie/labour-delivery/your-hospital-bag.13615.html. Some posters on the different pregnancy threads on boards recommended a face cloth to be used as a cooling cloth or a facial water spray for the labour ward bag (I have both packed).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

Almost 35 weeks and while I have everything for my hospital bag (I think!), I haven’t packed it yet. Was thinking of bringing in cabin sized suitcase for stay and a separate small backpack for labour.

I’m hung up on stupid things like, should I clean the bag and suitcase, how do I do that, it’s literally stopped me from packing anything yet, lol!

Anyone else clean theirs? Warm soapy water?? Like it’s a newish case I’m just super paranoid since I’ve washed all of her little clothes.

KettleMH wrote: »
    Almost 35 weeks and while I have everything for my hospital bag (I think!), I haven’t packed it yet. Was thinking of bringing in cabin sized suitcase for stay and a separate small backpack for labour.

I’m hung up on stupid things like, should I clean the bag and suitcase, how do I do that, it’s literally stopped me from packing anything yet, lol!

Anyone else clean theirs? Warm soapy water?? Like it’s a newish case I’m just super paranoid since I’ve washed all of her little clothes.

I hadn't thought about washing mine but now I think I should! :D An alternative might be to put her stuff into a Ziploc bag? I did that with her going home outfit. Still waiting on newborn vests and sleepsuits to arrive - stupidly just bought all 0-3 months until someone pointed out they need newborn clothes too :o

• Advertisement

I reckon the 20 kilo suitcase is a little big girls! There isn't much space in and around your bed Once you get moved to the ward especially. A cabin size suit case for yourself and a gym size bag for baby stuff would be ideal. It is tough to fit it all in especially the bulky maternity pads. I literally went through a pack in the first day! It's hard also we can't have visitor so be hard to get extra bits when needed. I would defo say bring new born or even up to one month as 0-3 was way too big for my first daughter. At least 6 outfits for baby too cause I found she was very phleming and got sick after the first few feeds and needed clean clothes a good bit. Also bring a little towel and sponge for baby if you want to bath him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Yeah I could imagine you being asked to take some things out and send the 20kg suitcase home with your partner. I've a similar list and I'm just using a cabin bag and a large handbag. There just wont be room for a large suitcase in the inpatient ward or in the pre delivery ward.

I took snacks and maternity and breast pads out of their boxes and put them in zip lock bags. I'm using a thin towel and a light dressing gown (wards are normally roasting anyways). Its very doable you just have to be a bit creative.

Also re the query out washing the suitcase, I didnt bother. I have an outfit for each day - vest, babygro etc in individual zip lock bags too, will save time rummaging for what to put the baby in.

Are we not meant to bring two towels? These are taking up the most space in my bag TBH. :(

I preferred the idea of having everything in one bag but I don't want to get stopped going in! :D:P

Are we not meant to bring two towels? These are taking up the most space in my bag TBH. :(

I preferred the idea of having everything in one bag but I don't want to get stopped going in! :D:P

I only brought one towel! A big red one lol! They give you a towel for your shower in the labour room well they did for me last time. Then I used my own for the post natal ward and your prob only going to have 1-2 showers in there so hang up your towel at end of bed to dry off. You don't need as much as you think you do. I defo overpacked last time but I cant see them letting you in with a big 20 kg case there just didn't enough room

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

One small bag with the stuff you need for the delivery room (1-2 nappies, one outfit for baby etc) and one bag for the post natal ward worked best for me both times. That way you aren’t digging around in a big bag for the stuff you need urgently. My post natal bag went into the bathroom of the delivery room to keep it out of the way.

My husband took the small bag home with the stuff I wouldn’t need then after delivery.

I only brought one towel! A big red one lol! They give you a towel for your shower in the labour room well they did for me last time. Then I used my own for the post natal ward and your prob only going to have 1-2 showers in there so hang up your towel at end of bed to dry off. You don't need as much as you think you do. I defo overpacked last time but I cant see them letting you in with a big 20 kg case there just didn't enough room

Ok great thanks! I have two large, dark ones so I will just take one of those. Really hoping to spend as little time in there as possible :P:D

Ok great thanks! I have two large, dark ones so I will just take one of those. Really hoping to spend as little time in there as possible :P:D

That's the thing hopefully we won't be in too long at all.. I had 3 night's last time so hoping it will be much quicker this time! I just keep thinking if I run out of things surely our husbands can drop things to the reception for us anyway even if they aren't allowed up

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

I'm due next weeek. Currently repacking bags for hospital. I have one bag for labouring/birth which I have:

2 nighties in (if one gets wrecked or I need shower/bath I have another to slip into)
    Pair of pjs for when I go to Postnatal ward
    Flip flops
    Fat socks if feet are cold
    Light dressing gown
    Large black towel
    Maternity pads
    2 pair of big pants
    Nursing bra
    Shower/toiletry bag
    Snacks (lucozade/bag nuts/bag of jellies)
    Copy of birth plan
    Mini fan

Ziploc bag for baby with
    cardi/babygro/vest/nappy/cotton pads/hat

Plastic bag for anything I don't need or destroyed to be brought home by dad.

Have a separate bag for ward
    Another large black towel
    Smaller towel for hair
    Hairbrush
    Spare pjs
    Loads of big black pants
    Maternity pads

4 more of the ziplocs baby bags as above (without cardi and hat in each)

My shower bag and flip flops will move from labour bag to ward bag. I have also included eye mask for sleeping, breast cream/pads and ear plugs for ward bag.
    Additional snacks as I heard you can get hungry during night, especially when breast feeding.
    Don't forget going home clothes, I'm bringing tracksuit bottoms, tshirt and hoodie. Depending on what happens during birth think that will be most comfortable

The Rotunda cafe is now offering a phone order & delivery system to mums on their wards - in case you have forgotten something. Uses debit card only so don't forget it since dads not allowed on wards afterwards

https://t.co/1UJPHIn6Jy

Also, if you leave anything at home your partner can bring it to the hospital and leave it with hospital security /porters and they can send it up to the ward so don't worry about needing something. If you get your first night covered you should be ok.

If anyone is wondering about disposal pants, my sister in law said they were a bit of a gimmick, big pants and loads of pads are better. For snacks throw in stuff you know you like.

Rotunda are good with birthing balls, but would prefer if you didn't bring in your own pillows are they cannot be cleaned onsite so request you leave them at home. An empty squirty water bottle for ward after birth in case you get stitches is useful.

I hope this is useful. This is my first but have asked a lot of mothers about this list. Iff forget something the midwives have loads there and they won't see you go without.

Best of luck x

I'm due next weeek. Currently repacking bags for hospital. I have one bag for labouring/birth which I have:

2 nighties in (if one gets wrecked or I need shower/bath I have another to slip into)
    Flip flops
    Light dressing gown
    Large black towel
    Maternity pads
    2 pair of big pants
    Nursing bra
    Shower/toiletry bag
    Copy of birth plan
    Mini fan

Ziploc bag for baby with

Smaller towel for hair
    Hairbrush
    Spare pjs
    Loads of big black pants
    Maternity pads

My shower bag and flip flops will move from labour bag to ward bag. I have also included eye mask for sleeping, breast cream/pads and ear plugs for ward bag.
    Additional snacks as I heard you can get hungry during night, especially when breast feeding.
    Don't forget going home clothes, I'm bringing tracksuit bottoms, tshirt and hoodie. Depending on what happens during birth think that will be most comfortable

The Rotunda cafe is now offering a phone order & delivery system to mums on their wards - in case you have forgotten something. Uses debit card only so don't forget it since dads not allowed on wards afterwards

Also, if you leave anything at home your partner can bring it to the hospital and leave it with hospital security /porters and they can send it up to the ward so don't worry about needing something. If you get your first night covered you should be ok.

If anyone is wondering about disposal pants, my sister in law said they were a bit of a gimmick, big pants and loads of pads are better. For snacks throw in stuff you know you like.

Rotunda are good with birthing balls, but would prefer if you didn't bring in your own pillows are they cannot be cleaned onsite so request you leave them at home. An empty squirty water bottle for ward after birth in case you get stitches is useful.

I hope this is useful. This is my first but have asked a lot of mothers about this list. Iff forget something the midwives have loads there and they won't see you go without.

Best of luck x

Thanks so much this is very helpful! Good luck to you next week!

There’s actually so much to pack, it’s a bit of a squeeze! Starting to feel very real now!

• Advertisement

Flip flops
    Light dressing gown
    Large black towel
    Maternity pads
    2 pair of big pants
    Nursing bra
    Shower/toiletry bag
    Copy of birth plan
    Mini fan

Ziploc bag for baby with

Smaller towel for hair
    Hairbrush
    Spare pjs
    Loads of big black pants
    Maternity pads

Best of luck x

Thanks for this and best of luck next week! Hope it all goes really well!

Theres actually so much to pack
    I have a massive bag but I cant take anything out of it I only have whats on the list that my hospital gave me.
    In an ideal world I would get my husband to take some of it home / back in when hes visiting but they arent allowing visitors so what can you do.
    We also live an hour from home so theres no way Im asking him or would expect him to come down just to leave stuff at reception for me AND hes also after being diagnosed with a medical condition in the last few weeks which means he cant drive currently so the hospital may deal with my big bag
    *Shrug *

Best of luck larry mick dick!

Anyone gotten their nursing bras yet? M&S told me to wait until 37 weeks and come in and get measured but that won’t happen now!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

KettleMH wrote: »
    Anyone gotten their nursing bras yet? M&S told me to wait until 37 weeks and come in and get measured but that won’t happen now!

I ordered from nursingbra-shop.co.uk as recommended on another page. Their sizes are s/m/l/xl etc so I guessed. Bras arrived within a few days and 2 out of the 3 are perfect. U can order from H&M too but I find their selection really poor - everything is sold out.

Theres actually so much to pack
    I have a massive bag but I cant take anything out of it I only have whats on the list that my hospital gave me.
    In an ideal world I would get my husband to take some of it home / back in when hes visiting but they arent allowing visitors so what can you do.
    We also live an hour from home so theres no way Im asking him or would expect him to come down just to leave stuff at reception for me AND hes also after being diagnosed with a medical condition in the last few weeks which means he cant drive currently so the hospital may deal with my big bag
    *Shrug *
    Kind of worried about the same thing plus OH isnt driving at the moment.. I cant see them not letting someone in because their bag is big. Its a maternity hospital. If they go Ryanair cabin bag restriction on me when Im in labour I might just lose it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi ladies,

Hope ye are all doing ok?
    Slowly getting my bags packed here, 33wks now. I'll just pack my nappy bag for the labour room and other bag for the maternity ward.
    The main things i remember from last time was being really glad of decent snack's energy bars (date based ones especially) and nuts etc..
    Pop things in ziplock bags makes life so much easier or if you have some small/medium travel cubes.
    Very trivial but if you have cute stuff for baby to wear don't bring him to hospital, the first few poos can be horrific and sometimes those stains just don't come out.
    I'm abroad so my list is a bit shorter, the hospital provides some of what you need initially; nappies & wipes for baby and breast pads, maternity pads & disposable undies for mam etc.. all covered while your in hospital.

Water births have been stopped here, presume its the same at home. i had one with my first so was hoping to do it again, but they just don't know enough about the virus to risk it which is fair enough. I need my placenta to move and baby to engage anyway so i might need a section yet. We are still allowed birth partners, hopefully that will still be the case in 6/7 weeks. I don't know what we will do with our little fella when the time comes tho, he's almost 4. We have lots of friends who would normally take him but with all that's going who knows and I def don't want to bring to the hospital.

We also have to apply for a permit to leave the house now, so that should be some craic if things happen fast. Crazy how the world has changed in a few weeks.

Kind of worried about the same thing plus OH isnt driving at the moment.. I cant see them not letting someone in because their bag is big. Its a maternity hospital. If they go Ryanair cabin bag restriction on me when Im in labour I might just lose it! :p

I really dont want to be THAT awkward person but if we have to bring our own towels and pads well thats half my bag aha so what can ya do...

I was with my midwife yesterday and I asked about early discharge home she said if im well and baby is well and feeding ok theres no reason I cant be let home after 1 night so please God that will all work out ok.
    She also measure bump and had a feel of bump and said "thats a fine baby"
    Then booked me in for 3 weeks time and when I was leaving said " see you in three weeks if you havent had baby by then"
    I dont know if shes hinting bebbeh might be early or if thats just something they say when you get to 36 weeks :eek::pac:

I really dont want to be THAT awkward person but if we have to bring our own towels and pads well thats half my bag aha so what can ya do...

I was with my midwife yesterday and I asked about early discharge home she said if im well and baby is well and feeding ok theres no reason I cant be let home after 1 night so please God that will all work out ok.
    She also measure bump and had a feel of bump and said "thats a fine baby"
    Then booked me in for 3 weeks time and when I was leaving said " see you in three weeks if you havent had baby by then"
    I dont know if shes hinting bebbeh might be early or if thats just something they say when you get to 36 weeks :eek::pac:

The midwife said something like that to me at 32 week check, "she is measuring well for her age" or something. Inside I was like oh Christ, a giant baby! :D

Yes hopefully it will be a flying visit for us all! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Can anyone tell me what is the position for registering a birth at present? I know for married parents only one need attend. What is the position in regards to unmarried parents? One of my friends is in that boat and is worried he won’t be allowed attend to be present to register his child

Advertisement