Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

That answers it, thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Does anyone know where I could get a yoga ball delivered?
    Or what size we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 willitallbeok

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get a yoga ball delivered?
    Or what size we need?
    Sports direct had size 55 available the other day. Also found one on Murray's healthcare supplies, think they only had 55 available too.
    If you're small, that will do, if tall, think you might need a 65cm one.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Hi Girls
    How are you feeling. I am on my 37th week. So stressed and a bit in pain.
    I had ultrasound picture done. My son last week was already 3125g. He will be a big boy:)
    Today I had hospital appointment, everything went smoothly.
    Cant wait to meet my baby Boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Hi Girls
    I had ultrasound picture done. My son last week was already 3125g. He will be a big boy:)

I am 34 weeks and stressed so can only imagine how you are! I have very low energy this week so started on iron tablets. Very under prepared too need to get everything washed and ready for baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

Dahdum wrote: »
    I ordered from nursingbra-shop.co.uk as recommended on another page. Their sizes are s/m/l/xl etc so I guessed. Bras arrived within a few days and 2 out of the 3 are perfect. U can order from H&M too but I find their selection really poor - everything is sold out.

Thanks for this! Did you return the one that didn’t fit and if so, what was the returns process like?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

KettleMH wrote: »
    Thanks for this! Did you return the one that didn’t fit and if so, what was the returns process like?

Hi KettleMH, I have it packed up ready to return but just haven’t had the opportunity to go to the post office yet.....this week for sure tho. Once it’s done I’ll let you know.

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Hi Girls

Im 36 weeks + 4 days.
    Still working full time but from home due to the current situation so its not too bad. I just have to get up and walk around or my bum goes numb :o

What is everyone planning for pain relief?
    I want to get home as quickly as possible so I dont want an epidural. Im saying that now :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Im 36 weeks + 4 days.
    Still working full time but from home due to the current situation so its not too bad. I just have to get up and walk around or my bum goes numb :o

I want to get home as quickly as possible so I dont want an epidural. Im saying that now :D:rolleyes:

The numb bum is definitely a thing! :D I too am trying to take the positives from the timing of this horrible pandemic - the extra sleep time because no more commute, the extra flexibility working from home etc.

I'm terrified of the pain, and will probably tell them when I go in that I want an epidural (or at least, the option of it if/ when needed). I didn't realise this would prolong the stay, although this makes sense on reflection. Does it prolong it by much?

• Advertisement

Im 36 weeks + 4 days.

Oh fair play still working away, I got signed off sick nearly a month ago! I want all the pain relief I can get lol! Had nothing on my 1st except paracetmol. Well I did try the gas and air but didn't like it at all it made me feel Very sick and light headed like I was going to faint. This wasn't by choice by the way it was cause she was born too fast and there was no time for any epidural or anything as I went 2-10cm in 20 mins. The pain was horrific (not trying to scare any 1st timers) just got me as it was all squeezed into 20 mins to dilated 8cm! I wil defo be requesting an epidural this time if there is time. Saying that I was up for a shower walking around within 1-2 hours after she was born but I would rather be pain free and stay in bed a little longer this time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Gravity is your friend in labour....being upright really helps, but when you have an epidural you pretty much have to lie on your back and can't move around much.Not really a natural position to give birth in (despite what you see on tv!) And the epidural slows some hormone down...I can't remember what, so yes, it can prolong the birth.

Gas and air worked fine for me, and kneeling upright on the bed, holding onto the top of it.It can make you woozy, but I ran with that because it kind of took my conscious mind away, and my body just knew what to do.Once I didn't have to actually stand upright I was happily woozy!!!It was lovely!

Antares35 wrote: »
    The numb bum is definitely a thing! :D I too am trying to take the positives from the timing of this horrible pandemic - the extra sleep time because no more commute, the extra flexibility working from home etc.

I'm terrified of the pain, and will probably tell them when I go in that I want an epidural (or at least, the option of it if/ when needed). I didn't realise this would prolong the stay, although this makes sense on reflection. Does it prolong it by much?

Loving working from home - im getting way more work done without the chatter in the office and from a personal point of view it was great this morning, I put on a load of washing I would usually be in the car at that stage and hung it out to dry then at lunch :D
    I guess everyone is different I just know 2 of my friends had epidurals in the last year and they were both in for longer than those who didnt. One mentioned she had to use a wheelchair for a few hours after and I do know you need to get a caterher in (Sorry thats not spelt right!) if you go for that option and you have to be able to go to the bathroom a few times by yourself before you are allowed home

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well the bathroom thing is for all births, not just those with epidurals (you leave your dignity at the door of that delivery room!!) - they check quantity and how often you go within a certain period of time after the baby is born, regardless of how you gave birth. They won't let you go until you - eh - deliver.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Loving working from home - im getting way more work done without the chatter in the office and from a personal point of view it was great this morning, I put on a load of washing I would usually be in the car at that stage and hung it out to dry then at lunch :D
    I guess everyone is different I just know 2 of my friends had epidurals in the last year and they were both in for longer than those who didnt. One mentioned she had to use a wheelchair for a few hours after and I do know you need to get a caterher in (Sorry thats not spelt right!) if you go for that option and you have to be able to go to the bathroom a few times by yourself before you are allowed home

I’m a bit of a veteran, I’ve had 4 babies, but I would say not to get too set on any one thing, take it as it comes. If you’re there and you feel you’d like an epidural, then have it- dont be too swayed by discharge times! On one of mine I had no epidural, but I had to go to theatre and ended up with a spinal block, so it was the same difference.

Ditto.You will know once it gets going what you can handle.Don't plan too much for anything.I had no epidurals, but still a 3 day stay after my third and a 5 day stay after my first due to their need for antibiotics.Totally out of my control.

shesty wrote: »
    Gravity is your friend in labour....being upright really helps, but when you have an epidural you pretty much have to lie on your back and can't move around much.Not really a natural position to give birth in (despite what you see on tv!) And the epidural slows some hormone down...I can't remember what, so yes, it can prolong the birth.

Gas and air worked fine for me, and kneeling upright on the bed, holding onto the top of it.It can make you woozy, but I ran with that because it kind of took my conscious mind away, and my body just knew what to do.Once I didn't have to actually stand upright I was happily woozy!!!It was lovely!

We don't give birth lying down? :eek:

Christ, I feel like I know nothing about this whole thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

As Shesty said, gravity is your friend. An active and upright labour is the “easiest” way of giving birth. I had an epidural on my first so had to lie down and just gas and air on my second and I spent most of the time kneeling in the bed leaning on a CUB (http://www.cub-support.ie/). Kneeling definitely felt more natural and instinctual if that makes sense.

Do you plan on doing an antenatal course? There are a lot being offered online. They’ll go through labour positions etc.

Hey listen....I only realised that when I caught about 10 minutes of "One Born Every Minute" by accident during my first pregnancy!!!!I saw this woman kneeling upright over the top of the bed with gas and air and she just - gave birth.And I thought that's how I want to do it!!(seriously it was a total eureka moment for me!!)It looked so much better than all that sitting and screaming you see on TV usually.And then when I had antenatal classes and they explained the mechanics of childbirth and how the body works, it all became much clearer to me!

I gave birth to my first lying down, my next 2...they were upright on the bed.No comparison, so much more control and far better able to cope.Obviously now, I had problem-free labours that didn't go on for hours and hours, so look, it totally depends on your circumstances.But use gravity if you can for as long as you can.

shesty wrote: »
    Hey listen....I only realised that when I caught about 10 minutes of "One Born Every Minute" by accident during my first pregnancy!!!!I saw this woman kneeling upright over the top of the bed with gas and air and she just - gave birth.And I thought that's how I want to do it!!(seriously it was a total eureka moment for me!!)It looked so much better than all that sitting and screaming you see on TV usually.And then when I had antenatal classes and they explained the mechanics of childbirth and how the body works, it all became much clearer to me!

I gave birth to my first lying down, my next 2...they were upright on the bed.No comparison, so much more control and far better able to cope.Obviously now, I had problem-free labours that didn't go on for hours and hours, so look, it totally depends on your circumstances.But use gravity if you can for as long as you can.

I suppose it makes sense when you think about it - I just hadn't really gone there in my mind :D I think I'm a victim of 8 series of Call the Midwife - I should have been watching One Born Every Minute instead! :)

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    As Shesty said, gravity is your friend. An active and upright labour is the “easiest” way of giving birth. I had an epidural on my first so had to lie down and just gas and air on my second and I spent most of the time kneeling in the bed leaning on a CUB (http://www.cub-support.ie/). Kneeling definitely felt more natural and instinctual if that makes sense.

Do you plan on doing an antenatal course? There are a lot being offered online. They’ll go through labour positions etc.

Thanks for this. I hadn't planned one, but think perhaps now it would be a good idea to sign up for one alright. :)

Thanks for this. I hadn't planned one, but think perhaps now it would be a good idea to sign up for one alright. :)

My antenatal classes were cancelled
    Things like this would be really good to know
    I see the Rotunda have some on their Youtube channel so Im going to try watch them later
    Thank you for all the advice everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

https://rise.articulate.com/share/zMU4l-dkONipTjMMY0z3HF8NRv5EPY3u

The labour and birth course at the above link might help. I'm half way through the course (It has six parts). It's informative and it's free.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/zMU4l-dkONipTjMMY0z3HF8NRv5EPY3u

The labour and birth course at the above link might help. I'm half way through the course (It has six parts). It's informative and it's free.

Thanks for this! :)

OH gosh do, absolutely worth it. There are a lot of options for pain relief, not just the epidural. The background information is definitely worth having, knowledge is power on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

Anyone else starting their maternity leave this week? I finish Tuesday, looking forward to getting the feet up!

KettleMH wrote: »
    Anyone else starting their maternity leave this week? I finish Tuesday, looking forward to getting the feet up!

Im finishing on Thursday
    Friday I was meant to be getting my hair cut, a pedicure and meeting my friend for lunch. I guess its just going to be me Netflix and the cat :D

God fair play girls sticking work until the end! I finished up on 16th of March when corona all really kicked off. Was advised to by the consultant as I work in a big office in Dublin City with a bus journey in etc. Enjoy putting the feet up! I don't get much chance with my 18 month old lol

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi ladies, hope everyone is keeping well!

Is anyone else's baby still not in engaged or even in position to engage? I'm 35 weeks (I know still lots of time) baby is totally arseways sort of transverse, spine right up in my lungs and hands and feet over the cervix. Dr has suggested ECV in 2 weeks if they haven't moved. Also i need to go straight in if my waters break in the meantime as there's nothing blocking the cervix so too much fluid would come out (would normally be blocked the head if engaged or the bum if regular breech). Can't do acupuncture at the moment will try some of the recommended exercises etc... just want to get some info re the ECV in case there's no change in the next few weeks.

Would love to be finishing up work, but also hoping to make it to my due date to maximise paid leave!

• Advertisement

Orange369 wrote: »
    God fair play girls sticking work until the end! I finished up on 16th of March when corona all really kicked off. Was advised to by the consultant as I work in a big office in Dublin City with a bus journey in etc. Enjoy putting the feet up! I don't get much chance with my 18 month old lol

I feel completely fine and with COVID have been able to work from home. I want to keep as much of my leave for when baby gets here rather than sitting around at home.
    In an ideal world I would keep working for another while but im due in 2 weeks now so have to finish up today....

Advertisement