Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

wuffly wrote: »
    Hi ladies, hope everyone is keeping well!

Is anyone else's baby still not in engaged or even in position to engage? I'm 35 weeks (I know still lots of time) baby is totally arseways sort of transverse, spine right up in my lungs and hands and feet over the cervix. Dr has suggested ECV in 2 weeks if they haven't moved. Also i need to go straight in if my waters break in the meantime as there's nothing blocking the cervix so too much fluid would come out (would normally be blocked the head if engaged or the bum if regular breech). Can't do acupuncture at the moment will try some of the recommended exercises etc... just want to get some info re the ECV in case there's no change in the next few weeks.

Would love to be finishing up work, but also hoping to make it to my due date to maximise paid leave!

My little one was in a similar odd position and within a week changed to head down. Check out the spinning babies website and start doing some of the exercises. If you do yoga the cat/cow movement and downward dog are good. Try not to lounge on the sofa and try to keep hips higher than knees at all times when sitting down. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I feel completely fine and with COVID have been able to work from home. I want to keep as much of my leave for when baby gets here rather than sitting around at home.
    In an ideal world I would keep working for another while but im due in 2 weeks now so have to finish up today....

Happy finish up day! :):):):)

I know it isn't like any of us imagined - I was ready to proudly show off bump at the usual tea and cakes send off from work. :pac:

Working at home has been a real blessing in the last trimester. I drag myself out of bed at 09:30 like a zombie for work. I couldn't imagine having to shower, do makeup, commute in traffic etc.

We are definitely under "confinement" as they say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

KettleMH wrote: »
    Thanks for this! Did you return the one that didn’t fit and if so, what was the returns process like?

Hi kettleMH, just to update you on the return. Posted it last Wednesday/Thursdays. Got confirmation email yesterday it had been rec’d and refund in my acc today. They’ve something like 120 day return policy which is great. The OH returned it so think it did cost a few eur (not like other free returns) but I’d no issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Antares35 wrote: »
    Happy finish up day! :):):):)

I know it isn't like any of us imagined - I was ready to proudly show off bump at the usual tea and cakes send off from work. :pac:

Working at home has been a real blessing in the last trimester. I drag myself out of bed at 09:30 like a zombie for work. I couldn't imagine having to shower, do makeup, commute in traffic etc.

We are definitely under "confinement" as they say! :D

Thank you!
    Wow how long is your commute?
    I still showered, dressed as normal and did my make up when working from home.
    So weird being off today and not being able to go anywhere, up until now lockdown has only really affected me at the weekends. So ive had a productive morning of cleaning out the fridge, catching up on all the washing and read for a few hours.
    Ive now just ordered a tonne of baby books online so it may be time to step away from the keyboard :D

Thank you!
    Wow how long is your commute?
    I still showered, dressed as normal and did my make up when working from home.
    So weird being off today and not being able to go anywhere, up until now lockdown has only really affected me at the weekends. So ive had a productive morning of cleaning out the fridge, catching up on all the washing and read for a few hours.
    Ive now just ordered a tonne of baby books online so it may be time to step away from the keyboard :D

It's 2 hours per day, sometimes more if I don't time it well with traffic. I was also in lectures 2 nights per week which involved driving into the city centre and then back home at 10pm. Don't miss that either!

I feel like such an under-achiever as I've been wfh six weeks now and my house isn't really any cleaner than it usually is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I feel like such an under-achiever as I've been wfh six weeks now and my house isn't really any cleaner than it usually is!

That will be good experience for when the baby comes because there will never be enough time for cleaning again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

Anyone else find that their hospital bag is just a crowded mess?? It’s very hard to organise things well that they’ll be easily accessible when there is so much to fit in!

Anyone else find that their hospital bag is just a crowded mess?? It’s very hard to organise things well that they’ll be easily accessible when there is so much to fit in!

Yes! I downgraded from a 20kilo suitcase to 2 x cabin sized bags. They are both full even though I have still have to put in PJ bottoms, nursing vests, snacks and water! Had 2 towels and that is now 1.

I separated out a lot of stuff into Ziploc bags e.g. 6 bags each with a vest, sleepsuit and 2 nappies. I figure the bags will double as nappy/ spoiled clothes bags.

I tend to suffer anxiety when things are beyond my control and cannot be specifically planned and scheduled so this is a nightmare.

I've pretty much just made my peace with the idea that it will be a hectic mess and I will not have every eventuality covered. I am just focused now on having a well stocked oasis at home - that I can get back to as quickly as possible! :p

Antares35, glad it’s not just me! I think I have everything in there but it’s a very tight squeeze! I’ll have a separate bag for hubby to bring in with going home clothes because it actually not possible to get them in there! I still have to get some snacks. No idea what to bring!

I’m hoping that I’m well stocked at home! Plenty of nappies, wipes, cotton wool. Bought a few bottles and soothers, just in case. Plenty of clothes, cellular blankets. It’s so hard to know as first timers!

We’ve still to buy our baby monitor the reviews are so mixed. Yet to come across a universally praised one!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

If it helps, I'm bringing flapjacks and quick oats (just add water). Oats can help with breastfeeding if you are hoping to. I also have pot noodles, nature valley bars, jelly babies and nuts and chocolate. Think I've more snacks than baby clothes :D

I'm bringing the babys changing bag which has nappies, wipes and 6 ziplock bags with a babygro, vest and bib in each. I have a large handbag for all the delivery suite bits, so some snacks, towel, change of nightie, light dressing gown, travel sized toiletries, face cloth, facial spray, water bottle and straw, arnica tablets for healing for afterwards, breast angels to help with any sore nipples and my hospital chart.

And I have a cabin bag for spare babys clothes as there could be a few poonami's, my clothes, another towel, more snacks, my phone charger, mini extension lead as socket mightnt be right beside bed, some chocs for the midwives, nightdress.

• Advertisement

zapper55 wrote: »
    If it helps, I'm bringing flapjacks and quick oats (just add water). Oats can help with breastfeeding if you are hoping to. I also have pot noodles, nature valley bars, jelly babies and nuts and chocolate. Think I've more snacks than baby clothes :D

I'm bringing the babys changing bag which has nappies, wipes and 6 ziplock bags with a babygro, vest and bib in each. I have a large handbag for all the delivery suite bits, so some snacks, towel, change of nightie, light dressing gown, travel sized toiletries, face cloth, facial spray, water bottle and straw, arnica tablets for healing for afterwards, breast angels to help with any sore nipples and my hospital chart.

And I have a cabin bag for spare babys clothes as there could be a few poonami's, my clothes, another towel, more snacks, my phone charger, mini extension lead as socket mightnt be right beside bed, some chocs for the midwives, nightdress.

I forgot to buy a changing bag! Another thing for the list.

Antares35, glad it’s not just me! I think I have everything in there but it’s a very tight squeeze! I’ll have a separate bag for hubby to bring in with going home clothes because it actually not possible to get them in there! I still have to get some snacks. No idea what to bring!

I’m hoping that I’m well stocked at home! Plenty of nappies, wipes, cotton wool. Bought a few bottles and soothers, just in case. Plenty of clothes, cellular blankets. It’s so hard to know as first timers!

We’ve still to buy our baby monitor the reviews are so mixed. Yet to come across a universally praised one!

I completely forgot about coming home clothes for me :eek:

I was driving myself mad looking at monitor reviews. In the end I "delegated" the task to OH and said, just read the reviews and order whatever one you think is best. I think he went with Motorola in the end.

I'm here with a final list of things to get - bits and bobs like nursing pillow, cot sheets, travel size toiletries etc. I just can't get anything bedded down. I'm all over the place between Amazon, Mothercare, Argos etc. I really would love a one stop shop but that seems impossible :P

Snack wise, I'd love to bring a bottle of prosecco and some strawberries but I don't know how that would go down in hospital :pac:

I forgot to buy a changing bag! Another thing for the list.

I'm waiting to see if we will be allowed out of the house first :D

Hope everyone is keeping well - not long to go now!

Was in for check up this week, and our little girl is measuring 36cm - exactly a cm for every week. Hopefully she won't stay in too long past the eviction due date :pac:

Looking for some advice. We have the Chicco Next2Me crib for the bedroom, and plan to use this as a side sleeper up to 5-6 months. However, I would also like something she can nap in during the day where I can keep an eye on her. We are in a bungalow so arguably even in the bedroom, she will still be near and I can check on her, but I wouldn't mind something small for the sitting room. Or, with the bedroom being ground level and with a monitor (video and audio) is a second cot overkill?

If we do get a second cot, I have no idea what to get! Moses baskets scare me - with a dog in the house I would be petrified it would be knocked over, and also, I don't like that you have to peer right into them to see the baby. They seem so buried in them! I know the Next2Me has wheels but as we will use it for side sleeping, I don't want to be assembling it every night before bed when we bring it back into the bedroom.

I saw a lovely rocking cradle in Ikea for €85 including a mattress, but it is only 84cm high. Again, with the dog, I am afraid she would be able to access the baby. Not that I think she would harm her but I don't want to take risk even having my eye off her for a minute. The dog is a small breed but 84cm is not very high!

Feeling completely mithered at this stage to be honest.

Does anyone have any idea what is best? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Mammy to an 8 month old and a tall lurcher here so I know all about trying to keep dog and baby separate! We used the Kangu foldable crib and found it great. Actually, would the bassinet of your buggy suit, we used that for daytime naps downstairs.

jellybear wrote: »
    Mammy to an 8 month old and a tall lurcher here so I know all about trying to keep dog and baby separate! We used the Kangu foldable crib and found it great. Actually, would the bassinet of your buggy suit, we used that for daytime naps downstairs.

:D

I hadn't thought about that. We got the infababy 4 in 1, so it has the bassinet part separate. I wasn't sure about leaving her to sleep in that though, in terms of ventilation etc. I will have a look at the Kangu!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I hadn't thought about that. We got the infababy 4 in 1, so it has the bassinet part separate. I wasn't sure about leaving her to sleep in that though, in terms of ventilation etc. I will have a look at the Kangu!

Have a look at the manufacturer's website and see if it's suitable for sleeping in. We have the uppababy vista and it has built in ventilation etc so I knew it was okay. The kangu is about €100 but we got loads of use out of it up to 6 months so felt it was good value. It has mesh sides too so you can see baby quite easily and it's handy for any overnight trips as you can take it apart easily enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Sorry I went AWOL there.
    Ended up having my baby at 1.35am on Tuesday morning. 10 days early.
    We are home and baby is well.
    I ended up with 2nd degree tears and holy God the pain I’m in currently.
    I’m also bottle feeding so today I have rock hard boobs that are very painful too but apart from that all is good!
    Reading some of the posts here and things that I would do differently now - bring more food / snacks.
    I know all hospitals are different with what they provide though.
    The food in Wexford was nice but small. There’s no access to boiling water so for anyone planning oats / noodles check that out or don’t rely on it.
    My hospital list said 2 dressing gowns. One is fine and bring a light one it’s BOILING.
    Bring smaller bags rather than one big bag. You don’t want to have to be searching in a big bag 😂 or have a physio give out to you for lifting a big bag as you pack to go home :)
    Best of luck ladies !

Congrats Dragonfly!! Hopefully the pain eases soon and all goes well with your little one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Sorry I went AWOL there.
    Ended up having my baby at 1.35am on Tuesday morning. 10 days early.
    We are home and baby is well.
    I ended up with 2nd degree tears and holy God the pain I’m in currently.
    I’m also bottle feeding so today I have rock hard boobs that are very painful too but apart from that all is good!
    Reading some of the posts here and things that I would do differently now - bring more food / snacks.
    I know all hospitals are different with what they provide though.
    The food in Wexford was nice but small. There’s no access to boiling water so for anyone planning oats / noodles check that out or don’t rely on it.
    My hospital list said 2 dressing gowns. One is fine and bring a light one it’s BOILING.
    Bring smaller bags rather than one big bag. You don’t want to have to be searching in a big bag �� or have a physio give out to you for lifting a big bag as you pack to go home :)
    Best of luck ladies !

Ahh huge congrats on your baby! Thanks for the tips I will add in some snacks lol. Hope you and baby are doing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

I plan on using a moses downstairs and I have the next to me for upstairs too! I have a dog and a toddler so I do feel like moses could be easily pulled at. More so by toddler my dog literally didn't take notice of 1st baby! I have the infababy ultimo travel system from 1st and she used to nap in that all the time. It's a large basket. She still naps in it now in the seat part at almost 19 months. I don't wanna disturb her routine so will still let her nap in that even tho I bought a double buggy too.

Congratulations Dragonfly! Hope you are both doing well :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Orange369 wrote: »
    I plan on using a moses downstairs and I have the next to me for upstairs too! I have a dog and a toddler so I do feel like moses could be easily pulled at. More so by toddler my dog literally didn't take notice of 1st baby! I have the infababy ultimo travel system from 1st and she used to nap in that all the time. It's a large basket. She still naps in it now in the seat part at almost 19 months. I don't wanna disturb her routine so will still let her nap in that even tho I bought a double buggy too.

Just to note - don't be surprised if baba no.2 does not nap downstairs.
    WAY too much interesting stuff going on with toddlers knocking around :D:D I gave up on that very early on my second, all naps had to go upstairs, certainly from 12 weeks onwards. My 2nd and 3rd only napped in cots, because they were so nosey :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

My little fella arrived by emergency c section over the weekend in the NMH, which was a bit earlier (like Dragonfly) than expected as I was scheduled for a c section later this week. Had a few health issues pre and during pregnancy including an underactive thyroid and also I would be an older first time mum at 40. The c section was a bit surreal as I was talking to the surgeon during the section, and I could feel the baby being taken out of my tum although I had a spinal block which wasn't too bad when it was being administered. My husband was allowed to stay with me in recovery for a little over an hour which was really nice and he was there at the birth. In the end a c section was the best option for both mine and his health. He is a big baby over 9lbs and we just got home today, three days after been admitted.

I had my bags packed and ended up bringing lots I didn't use as he is my first. Some tips that might be helpful, bring two packets of nappies I ended up having to ask one of the midwives for some this morning as I ran out and they had a few spare. Water wipes are great as I got a fierce shock with his first "poopy" nappy, bring two packets to be sure, I flew through my only packet which just got me through to this morning.

Food is a lot better than I remember hospital food but Dinner is at 5-5:30 and there is no food after this until breakfast in the morning about 7:30am but you get a snack pack to keep you going at night. It's a piece of fruit, carton of juice, piece of cheese, Ryvita and a slice of banana bread or fruit cake. I'm not sure if this was a tip on boards previously, but bringing a robinsons squash'd cordial or ordinary cordial makes the hospital jug of water a lot better. I am trying to breastfeed and between that and the heat of the hospital, I found I was drinking tons of water. A second dark towel is brilliant to have as you can quickly throw it on the bed when dressing/changing the baby or using at 3:30am in the morning in the changing station/nursery when he/she has a bad nappy and is crying, there is a note in the nursery not to use the hospital blue blankets from the cot.

I went public and the ward I was in was a six bed but only four beds at anyone time was occupied. I was in longer than normal at 3 days some people were in for just 10-12 hours. The wards are very busy but the midwives are amazing and will help in anyway they can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Is there any other hospital that makes you leave the ward and go to a changing station to change the baby?The only one I know of is Holles St, to my knowledge the rest allow you to change the baby at your bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

shesty wrote: »
    Is there any other hospital that makes you leave the ward and go to a changing station to change the baby?The only one I know of is Holles St, to my knowledge the rest allow you to change the baby at your bed.

What? You have to leave your room to go to a special changing station! Whatever about normal time’s surely at the moment that is risking spreading CV even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’ve had 3 in Holles Street and was never told this?! Always changed the babies on the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify my previous post, which might have not been very clear about changing babies in the NMH. You are not required to bring the baby to a changing station you can change the baby on the bed or in the cot in the ward there is no problem at all with this. My little fella is very unsettled at night and it was a personal choice that I brought him to the changing station during the night so the other mums could get some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I wondered this too. I was barely able to walk and had to go down to the changing station to change the baby pushing the cot down there too. It made no sense to me. I won’t be doing it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Blingy wrote: »
    I wondered this too. I was barely able to walk and had to go down to the changing station to change the baby pushing the cot down there too. It made no sense to me. I won’t be doing it this time.

Jeez I wouldn’t even entertain it! I went up to the room I think people are referring to (I didn’t know it had a name!) to change a nappy the odd time but generally just to stretch the legs and one of my babies had her paed check there. Always changed my babies on the bed or in their little cot, even with midwives in the cubicle with me and never heard a thing about going to the other room. Did someone specifically say to you they had to be changed there?

Advertisement