Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Congratulations Buttercup, hope you are recovering and that you and babba are doing well. :) Some good advice too re extra supplies - will need to rethink the bag!

Does anyone know if there are different stages of "engagement". I think mine dropped somewhat around 2 weeks ago - that was when my breathing improved, I could once again eat a full meal and I felt the pressure on my bladder all the time :D When I went for scan at 36 weeks they said she was head down.

Am now 37+5 and woke up this morning feeling very different. I am actually aware of a weight in my pelvic area and am walking like an 80 year old. It's also very painful if I move too quickly or turn over in bed. Had some shooting pains yesterday which were presumably the "lightening crotch" people talk about :P

Am in Tuesday for a check but just curious if anyone else had the same? I've exams up to next week so she can't come early! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

39 + 5, back next week at which point they’ll probably do “a sweep”. Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

KettleMH wrote: »
    39 + 5, back next week at which point they’ll probably do “a sweep”. Anyone any experience of this?

I had one at 40+3 on my first. I went at 39+4 on my 2nd thankfully so no need. If you want one ask at your next appointment.

bee06 wrote: »
    I had one at 40+3 on my first. I went at 39+4 on my 2nd thankfully so no need. If you want one ask at your next appointment.

Thanks Bee06, he suggested doing it yesterday but I hadn’t expected it so I didn’t know what to think. He ultimately said he’d give it the week to see if nature took its course. Did your labour start fairly soon thereafter or did you need more than one?

Thanks Bee06, he suggested doing it yesterday but I hadn’t expected it so I didn’t know what to think. He ultimately said he’d give it the week to see if nature took its course. Did your labour start fairly soon thereafter or did you need more than one?

It didn’t work at all. I had to be induced at 10 days over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Had it on 2 of them.Who knows.The second I had a sweep, she elected to come herself 8 days later at 42 weeks on the button.But I was certainly in a form of labour for weeks before that, and the sweep definitely intensified it (pro-dromal labour).
    Third had a sweep at 41 weeks.The consultant said I would go myself and i did, that night.
    I usually have cramps for a few weeks before birth, so I tend to get to 41 weeks and tell them to do a sweep.I wouldn't be looking for one at 39 weeks myself -personal choice.I have asked for an internal exam round then though, just to see how things are, especially if I have been having cramps for a while.Sometimes that moves things along too.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Holy God I cant get over this changing station! Defo dont have that in the Coombe, well they didn't in 2018 when I had my 1st. I would say just pull your curtain around your bed and change baby on your bed, the midwives are too busy to notice and it's your bed while you are there! I am 38 weeks today and back in Wednesday and I have been told to be prepared for an exam so I guess I'll be offered a sweep. Never had one before! They are talking about inducing me at 39 weeks due to BP issues so will be happy to take a sweep to see if it kicks things off without being induced. Although feel loads pressure and odd cramps so hoping I go myself before then. My 1st came herself at 39+2..It's so exciting now our babies are almost here!!

Two weeks from tomorrow! Starting to get very excited now. Every time I feel a twinge or shooting pain I think this is it! (It never is lol). :p

Antares35 wrote: »
    Two weeks from tomorrow! Starting to get very excited now. Every time I feel a twinge or shooting pain I think this is it! (It never is lol). :p

I am the same! Had a few pains Friday morning and thought omg this is it.. Fingers crossed it happens sooner rather than later for us

Orange369 wrote: »
    I am the same! Had a few pains Friday morning and thought omg this is it.. Fingers crossed it happens sooner rather than later for us

I've exams tomorrow and keep hoping every pain is the start of it - I'd actually rather fancy my chances at labour than the exams :D

Nursing vest arrived and it is tiny despite being XL - this is why I hate online shopping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Hi, popping in from Dec thread.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Can I ask anyone attending Holles St, are your partner's allowed to attend appointments with you?
    I have to attend the Pre-term Surveillance Clinic on 25th May due to cervical treatments over the last number of years. I'm so nervous, I'd love him with me.

Shelli2 wrote: »

Can I ask anyone attending Holles St, are your partner's allowed to attend appointments with you?
    I have to attend the Pre-term Surveillance Clinic on 25th May due to cervical treatments over the last number of years. I'm so nervous, I'd love him with me.

Hi Shelli, I’m attending Holles St and you have to attend appointments by yourself at the moment. The only time partners are allowed in are when you are going to the delivery suite or the theatre if having a c-section. As far as I’m aware, it’s the same for all appointments.

In my experience with them so far, they are really lovely in there and will take great care of you. I had to attend A&E a few weeks ago alone due to the restrictions and they couldn’t have been nicer or more reassuring.

Hope all goes well for you!

Anyone any tips that worked for them to get baby moving naturally? Would rather not have to be induced. Only one day over due date to be fair though.

Shelli2 wrote: »

The Coombe is the same, only partners are allowed in for the actual labour ward part otherwise no visits or coming to any appointments:( so tough

Anyone any tips that worked for them to get baby moving naturally? Would rather not have to be induced. Only one day over due date to be fair though.

Aahh you are nearly there! Have you been scheduled for induction? How the baby got in there is meant to be the most effective lol. I hear pineapples dates help soften cervix too but honestly I think baby will just coming when he or she is ready. I am 38+2 myself now

Aahh you are nearly there! Have you been scheduled for induction? How the baby got in there is meant to be the most effective lol. I hear pineapples dates help soften cervix too but honestly I think baby will just coming when he or she is ready. I am 38+2 myself now

Thanks Orange369, I’m working through the list! :) I bought Medjool dates which are meant to be effective at softening cervix but I think you’re meant to start them earlier, oops!

I think you’d have to eat 8 pineapples a day!

As recommended by my Domino midwives: spinning babies exercises (google spinning babies), medjool dates, bouncing on the exercise ball or doing figures of eight, evening primrose oil, spicy food and lots of good sex!

I think you’d have to eat 8 pineapples a day!

As recommended by my Domino midwives: spinning babies exercises (google spinning babies), medjool dates, bouncing on the exercise ball or doing figures of eight, evening primrose oil, spicy food and lots of good sex!

Yeah I heard it would Have to be quiet a lot of pineapples!! I think babies just come when they are ready no harm in trying anything

Yeah I heard it would Have to be quiet a lot of pineapples!! I think babies just come when they are ready no harm in trying anything

This is true! I spent hours on the bloody ball the first time and had to be induced. Drank so much raspberry leaf tea etc. 2nd time, I had no time to do anything because my 2 year old tried to push me off the ball and wanted to drink all the tea. 2nd baby came 3 days early.

This is true! I spent hours on the bloody ball the first time and had to be induced. Drank so much raspberry leaf tea etc. 2nd time, I had no time to do anything because my 2 year old tried to push me off the ball and wanted to drink all the tea. 2nd baby came 3 days early.

Lol I feel like you now! I have a 19 month old so it's tough going being so pregnant and looking after her all day long too. When are you due?

• Advertisement

Lol I feel like you now! I have a 19 month old so it's tough going being so pregnant and looking after her all day long too. When are you due?

I’m only popping in. I had my baby 8 weeks ago. It’s so hard being heavily pregnant with a toddler especially when you’re stuck in the house all the time. Best of luck for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I was 11 days over on number 3 and thought it would never happen. I did a lot of hip circles on the ball that day. Lots of running around after the other kids, some walking and some rest and the pains started that night. Hip circles and squats/lunges are recommended to move baby down. but sometimes baby will just come when they are ready!

I’m only popping in. I had my baby 8 weeks ago. It’s so hard being heavily pregnant with a toddler especially when you’re stuck in the house all the time. Best of luck for the next few weeks.

Ah huge congrats! How is your baby doing? I'd Say the 8 weeks have gone past in a flash too.. Oh its so tough being stuck in much, feel sorry for my toddler

Ah huge congrats! How is your baby doing? I'd Say the 8 weeks have gone past in a flash too.. Oh its so tough being stuck in much, feel sorry for my toddler

She’s great! Already filling her 3-6 months clothes out! The time has gone so quickly especially when I consider how slowly the first 2 months went first time. No time to breath (or pee) most days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey folks,

just wondering from a partners perspective how D-Day worked out for you. My OH is due this Friday, and we're with the Rotunda. Fully aware of the restrictions, however how does it work from a practical sense. i will drive her in, get her to the door, hand over the bag etc....then what? Do i just wait in the car, who contacts me etc?

Any experience much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

budhabob wrote: »
    Hey folks,

just wondering from a partners perspective how D-Day worked out for you. My OH is due this Friday, and we're with the Rotunda. Fully aware of the restrictions, however how does it work from a practical sense. i will drive her in, get her to the door, hand over the bag etc....then what? Do i just wait in the car, who contacts me etc?

Any experience much appreciated.

I wasnt in the Routunda but for us in Wexford as it was night time I phoned them and they said to come down but to come to the A&E door and I would be told where to go from there.
    Husband waited with me in A&E when they got porter from Maternity to bring a wheelchair up to me.
    I was wheeled into Maternity and asked for a urine sample and put on a CTG. I had to wait for a Dr to see how dilated I was.
    Husband waited in car for this part.
    Dr examined me and I was 7cm dilated so I was told my husband can come back in so I rang him and asked him to come in and bring the bags with him.

Hope that helps a bit and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

The Coombe is the same, only partners are allowed in for the actual labour ward part otherwise no visits or coming to any appointments:( so tough

Same in Wexford
    I think all Mat hospitals have those rules in place currently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I wasnt in the Routunda but for us in Wexford as it was night time I phoned them and they said to come down but to come to the A&E door and I would be told where to go from there.
    Husband waited with me in A&E when they got porter from Maternity to bring a wheelchair up to me.
    I was wheeled into Maternity and asked for a urine sample and put on a CTG. I had to wait for a Dr to see how dilated I was.
    Husband waited in car for this part.
    Dr examined me and I was 7cm dilated so I was told my husband can come back in so I rang him and asked him to come in and bring the bags with him.

Hope that helps a bit and best of luck!
    Thanks, that is helpful. It's weird, I knew I would only be allowed in for the actual labour, bit I never thought about how it would actually work.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, when your early labour started were contractions quite sporadic I.e.: not happening at set intervals?

Advertisement