Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Mine were and different strengths as well so one would be quite strong/uncomfortable and the next one was less so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

KettleMH wrote: »
    Hi guys, when your early labour started were contractions quite sporadic I.e.: not happening at set intervals?

I had contractions for several weeks like that before all mine.Particularly at night.
    Once actual labour started, I couldn't speak through the contractions, even though they were initially 40 mins apart.Everyone is different, keep an eye on the intensity (can you talk) and timing.Ring your hospital if you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

shesty wrote: »
    I had contractions for several weeks like that before all mine.Particularly at night.
    Once actual labour started, I couldn't speak through the contractions, even though they were initially 40 mins apart.Everyone is different, keep an eye on the intensity (can you talk) and timing.Ring your hospital if you are unsure.

Yep, false alarm! Could be a while yet. 40 + 5, few more days and we’ll be talking about induction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well a good sign too, that your body is getting itself ready.I always took it that way anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

The last two days have been feeling very crampy. Nothing you could call a contraction but that dull old period like pain that comes over and can leave you in a bit of a cold sweat. Wonder if it is a sign that things are starting to kick off. Have GP appointment tomorrow will mention it. 39+2.

Anyone else experienced this?

Antares35 wrote: »
    The last two days have been feeling very crampy. Nothing you could call a contraction but that dull old period like pain that comes over and can leave you in a bit of a cold sweat. Wonder if it is a sign that things are starting to kick off. Have GP appointment tomorrow will mention it. 39+2.

Anyone else experienced this?

I’ve been having period like pains on and off for almost 2 weeks. Currently 41+1. Thought it was the real deal Friday and then most definitely in the early hours of this morning when I was having regular “contractions “ and also thought my waters had broken but apparently, even though there was a decent volume of liquid as though I’d wet myself, this was just part of my show. Still having contraction like pains sometimes regularly, sometimes sporadically and I’m told it could go on like this for a while. The things they don’t tell you! Back in on Wednesday, really hopeful things will start moving along before the need for intervention though!

Definitely mention it to your GP. Haven’t experienced any cold sweats.

I’ve been having period like pains on and off for almost 2 weeks. Currently 41+1. Thought it was the real deal Friday and then most definitely in the early hours of this morning when I was having regular “contractions “ and also thought my waters had broken but apparently, even though there was a decent volume of liquid as though I’d wet myself, this was just part of my show. Still having contraction like pains sometimes regularly, sometimes sporadically and I’m told it could go on like this for a while. The things they don’t tell you! Back in on Wednesday, really hopeful things will start moving along before the need for intervention though!

Definitely mention it to your GP. Haven’t experienced any cold sweats.

Oh no! I had myself convinced that this was it :D Fingers crossed for you on Wednesday :)

Have experienced all of the above.Take it as a good sign that your body is getting ready!

Hope you are all well. Was at GP this morning. She said the head is down but not engaged yet. So could be a while yet. However this evening have had a small show and now I am wondering if things might be starting! :eek:

• Advertisement

Baby arrived safe and well this morning! Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Baby girl arrived safe and sound on the 14th of May! She was 6 lbs 5 ozs at 38+4. Got induced in the Coombe after a routine appointment as she hadn't grown since 36 weeks. She is settling in so so well at home. I am totally obsessed with her. Have to say the Coombe were amazing and the staff were so attentive. Good luck to anyone still waiting for baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Congrats to you!
    Hope your recovery is going well!

Orange369 wrote: »
    Baby girl arrived safe and sound on the 14th of May! She was 6 lbs 5 ozs at 38+4. Got induced in the Coombe after a routine appointment as she hadn't grown since 36 weeks. She is settling in so so well at home. I am totally obsessed with her. Have to say the Coombe were amazing and the staff were so attentive. Good luck to anyone still waiting for baby

yay! Congrats to you!
    delighted to hear she is settling in well for ye!

Congratulations!

Our little girl arrived on Thursday evening. We are so in love with her ❤️

Orange369 wrote: »

Brilliant news! :)

Antares35 wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Our little girl arrived on Thursday evening. We are so in love with her ❤️

Congrats to you!

Anyone else having great craic breastfeeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Great craic is not quite how I would describe it lol.
    How are you getting on? 2 week old here with a myriad of bf issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Blingy wrote: »
    Great craic is not quite how I would describe it lol.
    How are you getting on? 2 week old here with a myriad of bf issues.

Oh I’m loving the bf! Three weeks in and the inability to latch properly, the pain and discomfort, the cracked and bleeding nipples, the endless cluster feeds........this is the life!

Anyone find any decent bf support-either online, family, friends? I’ve discussed the issues I’m experiencing with a friend but she’s very very pro bf (I’m not) so finding I’m not getting a lot of empathy from her.......”persevere, you’ll be fine.”. At the hospital I’d signed up for a bf study but other than some online questionnaires before the little one arrived, I haven’t heard anything else. Altho lack of communication from them may be due to covid-19 so I’ll wait and see if they get in touch.

We’ve introduced 1 btl feed (Formula or express.....whatever we have) at night so that I can get a break But still very tough going!

What about you guys?

• Advertisement

Dahdum wrote: »
    Oh I’m loving the bf! Three weeks in and the inability to latch properly, the pain and discomfort, the cracked and bleeding nipples, the endless cluster feeds........this is the life!

Anyone find any decent bf support-either online, family, friends? I’ve discussed the issues I’m experiencing with a friend but she’s very very pro bf (I’m not) so finding I’m not getting a lot of empathy from her.......”persevere, you’ll be fine.”. At the hospital I’d signed up for a bf study but other than some online questionnaires before the little one arrived, I haven’t heard anything else. Altho lack of communication from them may be due to covid-19 so I’ll wait and see if they get in touch.

We’ve introduced 1 btl feed (Formula or express.....whatever we have) at night so that I can get a break But still very tough going!

What about you guys?

It’s tough going at the start isn’t it.
    Laid back feeding and the flipple technique can help with getting a deeper latch which should help with the pain. Also regularly changing position to let the cuts heal.
    I got the apno cream made up in a chemist (needed a prescription for it) and it made all the difference in healing my nipples. They were bleeding at every feed with deep cuts. I also started using nipple shields to help with healing.

Could you go back to the hospital and meet with the lactation consultant just to check for possible tongue tie. Lots of the Lactation consultants are doing online consultations now which lots of people are finding helpful.
    Also you could call a cuidiu breastfeeding counsellor who could give you some tips.
    We still have issues with the latch and some pain. I’m hoping not gets better soon. Good luck.

What about you guys?

Please contact a lactation consultant. Make sure they are an IBCLC (certified). As Blingy said there are loads doing video consults. I’d recommend Orla Dorgan. She also has an Instagram page. I’d also recommend milkmakingmama for great BF advice on Instagram. BF is hard enough at the start without being in pain as well. If your friend really is pro BF she should know better!

What about you guys?

List of Lactation Consultants
    https://www.alcireland.ie/full-ibclc-listing/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Thanks guys, that’s really helpful. I was unsure whether discussing with a LC online would be worthwhile but from the responses I’m guessing it is. Thought it would be something you’d need to do in person, will look into that.

Sarcasm aside, It has improved - the first 2 weeks were really tough.....lots of tears and uncertainty as to whether I was doing it properly and whether I could continue. Definitely have seen an improvement in week 3 so anyone who read my post and is unsure about breastfeeding......it does get easier!

I’ve discussed the tongue tie with the PHN, the gp and more recently at the hospital, they agree it’s there but not a concern so will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Thanks guys, that’s really helpful. I was unsure whether discussing with a LC online would be worthwhile but from the responses I’m guessing it is. Thought it would be something you’d need to do in person, will look into that.

Sarcasm aside, It has improved - the first 2 weeks were really tough.....lots of tears and uncertainty as to whether I was doing it properly and whether I could continue. Definitely have seen an improvement in week 3 so anyone who read my post and is unsure about breastfeeding......it does get easier!

I’ve discussed the tongue tie with the PHN, the gp and more recently at the hospital, they agree it’s there but not a concern so will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for all the advice!

PHNs, GPs and midwives aren’t breastfeeding experts with the best will in the world. It’s very easy for them to say TT isn’t a concern but they’re not the ones with the shredded nipples. Dr Justin Roche at the tongue tie clinic is doing consults as well if you need advice on this. https://drjustinroche.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

Hi Dahdum, lots of good advice there from previous posters. Just to add, I find the silver cups/ breast angels are fantastic to help with healing sore and cracked nipples. They are around 50 euro but so worth it in my opinion. Best of luck.

There is a massive amount of conflicting advice on BF out there, including from professionals. (having had my own struggles).

There is a thread in the Newborn and Toddlers forum for advice if you want to try there. (below)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055865077

Lots of people refer to www.kellymom.com - myself I found it was useless because it almost contains too much information, and refers every possible problem under the sun, linking it to about 15 other problems... but other people find it very useful. Do try and get a lactation consultant if you can, even on the phone. And if you can find a breastfeeding group for support too, that is great - just for a shoulder to cry on even!! :) Our local one is doing Zoom groups every week, so maybe look around and see what you can find.

Stop. Almost having a nervous breakdown over it. She's so hungry but it's so hard to get a proper latch and then she will only tug four or five times. It's a nightmare. I feel so guilty that I cannot do this for her :(

Do you have any support Antares? I found the feelings around breastfeeding are very intense. Even when you make a decision to stop, no matter when it is, you feel guilty, it can hit you where it really hurts. For a million reasons. If you are having problems, do you have any help as suggested in previous posts?

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    Do you have any support Antares? I found the feelings around breastfeeding are very intense. Even when you make a decision to stop, no matter when it is, you feel guilty, it can hit you where it really hurts. For a million reasons. If you are having problems, do you have any help as suggested in previous posts?

Had a call with the health nurse this morning. She must have had a sixth sense as I had literally just reserved an electric pump online when my phone rang! She said oh just persevere, a pump will be more work etc.

Had a great day feeding wise, no problems with latching and she slept well after each feed. Until the 2an witching hour hit and nothing could satisfy her except a big bottle of formula. I cried giving it to her, but she just happily guzzled away. Feeling less than empowered right now. It's as if I am not "womanly" enough or something. I found myself hoping that OH wouldn't come in and see me feeding her formula in case he thought it was a cop out. I don't know where these feelings come from in an age where we are meant to have such autonomy and freedom of choices etc. :(

Advertisement