Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Antares breastfeeding is a skill which needs practice and training for both mother and baby. I’ve been breastfeeding for 2.5 years and I still need to pull out every trick in the book to latch my 2 month old when she’s really fussy. She was a lot harder to latch on than my 1st baby especially in the first 2 weeks and at night. I was just lucky that I have the confidence of having been through it all before!

Some resources that I found really helpfully on Instagram are milkmakingmama and lactationtalkwithorla. Both have loads of saved stories that I go back to when I need reminding of how to deal with issues and do video consults as well.

Please don’t beat yourself up for giving formula either. Remember that every breastfeed you give is giving so much goodness to your baby and formula was invented for a reason as well. When giving bottles though make sure you are doing paced bottle feeding so baby doesn’t get used to the faster flow of the bottle because they can then get more fussy on the breast because they have more work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Antares35 wrote: »
    Had a call with the health nurse this morning. She must have had a sixth sense as I had literally just reserved an electric pump online when my phone rang! She said oh just persevere, a pump will be more work etc.

Had a great day feeding wise, no problems with latching and she slept well after each feed. Until the 2an witching hour hit and nothing could satisfy her except a big bottle of formula. I cried giving it to her, but she just happily guzzled away. Feeling less than empowered right now. It's as if I am not "womanly" enough or something. I found myself hoping that OH wouldn't come in and see me feeding her formula in case he thought it was a cop out. I don't know where these feelings come from in an age where we are meant to have such autonomy and freedom of choices etc. :(

Sounds like you are doing a great job. Well done!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Antares don't beat yourself up.I had 3 babies who I struggled with and eventually had to move to formula fully around 6 weeks (many reasons).The guilt is unreal.You are doing just fine.The baby has to learn to feed as much as the mammy.Just also bear in mind, it's not all about the BF-and by that I mean, babies cry.They get a build up of wind, they don't sleep sometimes, they get overtired, the works.I was not lucky enough to have babies who calmly slept after each feed myself, no matter what I did, so you do learn that it happens, and this too shall pass.The baby is so small and your first is a massive learning curve.Keep ringing for help, and if you can find a lactation consultant even better, or a local group.I know the pain of struggling to get a baby to latch and it is beyond frustrating and upsetting.And those feeds at 3am are the loneliest feeds of them all, no matter what baby it is.You are doing the best you can and nobody can ask more of you.

And for those feelings, they are hormonal and nature.We do have autonomy and choice but women will always put the kids first and that changes you.I still marvel at it sometimes-mainly when I want my OH to do something...Don't be guilty about those feelings, they are what makes you a mammy, and you learn in time what to guilt yourself over or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Jumping in from the June thread. Our little boy decided he didn't want to arrive in June after all so he was born 31 May. Long story very short, I got my Vbac.
    Baby Lucas Nathaniel, 6lbs 13oz.
    His due date was 6th of June.

Advertisement