Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home office wall construction

• 03-09-2019 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Will be starting walls on a home office at the end of garden in the coming days. Opinions on the following wall construction from outside in

Acrylic render
    Base coat and mesh
    100mm external insulation mechanically fixed
    Breathable felt
    18mm osb
    4x2
    Plaster board and skim.

A builder friend is in the middle of his house with this construction and just wondering the pros and cons before I order materials.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

18mm OSB seems like overkill, 11mm or 12mm should be fine, but tape the joints.

Not really sure what the "breathable felt" is supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I would drop the OSB and replace with a fibre cement board or similar 10/12mm probably thick enough. I would also add an airtight layer to the inner face of the studs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

You don´t need the breathable felt on the outside, but you can stick with the OSB, by using timber screws and separate plastic discs for fixing the EWI to the OSB. Put mastic or bonding foam between the boards and the OSB instead of mortar. On the inside you´ll be definitely in need of a vapour control layer underneath the plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dilly of a pickle

Thanks for the replies.

Felt is as much to keep the timber dry during construction between standing frames and putting on ewi. It's the stuff sold as ''breathable' but is the cheap version so don't know how great it is at that aspect.

Was thinking 18mm osb would be better structurally, also can get 18mm at almost same price as 12 so that doesn't worry me. Basic silicone for joint sealing or something else?
    Interested to hear why cement board instead of osb?

Vapour control layer in what form?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Silicone between studs & osb. Bonding foam between insulation and osb.

Ewi system supplier should be consulted if you want any hope of a system warranty or joint warranty with plasterer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I have use thed Knauf Marmorit System previously. It has the benefit of BRE testing and certification and there is a decent warranty with the product.

This system requires a Cement board; the sales rep at the time said it was because it wasn't susceptible to the same dimensional movements as OSB, it also has must better fire properties that OSB and I believe it is frost & rot proof.

https://www.redbooklive.com/download/pdf/Cert-159_13-Knauf-Marmorit.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

Are we still talking about a home office/ granny flat? The Knauf System is definitely very good and advisable but I think that´s a bit of an overkill for the original application. This system is made and certified for multi-storey appartment blocks.
    On the other side, I´m always smiling about the objections regarding system warranties. The moment were you´ve read all the terms for such "promises" is the moment, were you notice that it´s more than unlikely, that manufacturers of building products are taking any responsibility for potential issues. Your best warranty is common sense and some knowledge about building physics.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Wartburg wrote: »
    Are we still talking about a home office/ granny flat? The Knauf System is definitely very good and advisable but I think that´s a bit of an overkill for the original application. This system is made and certified for multi-storey appartment blocks.
    On the other side, I´m always smiling about the objections regarding system warranties. The moment were you´ve read all the terms for such "promises" is the moment, were you notice that it´s more than unlikely, that manufacturers of building products are taking any responsibility for potential issues. Your best warranty is common sense and some knowledge about building physics.

Where did the granny flat come from? We’re discussing insulating an office at the end of the OPS garden

If it’s a granny flat change the word warranty to structural engineers wind-load calculation

Advertisement