Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment parking space ownership

Options
  • 03-09-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I'm a First-time buyer, and I have a question about parking space ownership.

I'm purchasing an apartment right now. The vendor said the property has a designated parking space, but not sure the ownership is. I asked the management company. They said the underground parking is not related to the apartment. The parking spaces belong to Dublin City council. I'm very confused, in my home country, we bought an apartment if there is a designated parking space, the ownership of this parking spot is mine.

Is that means I have to pay for parking in my designated parking space and I do not have the ownership of the parking space?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Ownership of parking spaces sometimes remains with the OMC.

For example, where I live the OMC technically own all the spaces (remember, you as an owner are part of the OMC) and allocate 2 each per house and the remainder of spaces are pooled for use between apartment residents.

In practical terms it makes no difference, house owners spaces are exclusivly for their use and the spaces are each marked with the house number that they're assigned to.

I suppose it just gives the OMC some flexibility in the future if they needed to allocate spaces differently for whatever reason. Also, if an owner is not paying their maintenance charges they could make it difficult for them to use their spaces, if clamping was in operation they could revoke parking permits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You need to get clarity on this. Its not clear to me how or why Dublin City Council would somehow have ownership of parking spaces that are underground an apartment complex. It just doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. Ask again, get a response in writing- because what you're describing just doesn't ring true. In general all common spaces, including parking spaces, are vested in the management company. Parking spaces may be allocated to units by a management company- or not (in which case they are a free-for-all for the residents)- however- unless the management company decided to vest all common areas in a local authority (called handing over)- its just not the case that what you're saying could be true.

Get a proper explanation as to what the situation is- in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Ideally would want to own the car space when buying an apartment but that rare. Usually you get a licence to use a specific car space by the management company or else the management company gives you a use of a car space but that can be any car space. Even with a licence the management company could in theory revoke the space. However if it’s owned by council, you may need to get a residents parking permit ( and check the criteria of your eligible) but it doesn’t give you a space so if one is not available it’s tough luck.

Talk to your solicitor and get the answer as car spaces are big think for an apartment unless your near city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ocer

Thank you guys!

Advertisement