Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Co looking for expired penalty points

Options
  • 03-09-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Strange one today. My friend recently took out a new insurance policy (Aug 2019), and received an email today, asking why penalty points, received in May 2015, were not disclosed to them. They werent disclosed as the penalty points had expired. They are requiring a signed letter giving reasons for this.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Two questions:
    1. Did they fail to disclose penalty points to a previous insurer?
    2. Did the new insurer have a question like "Did you receive any penalty points or motor convictions in the last X years?" (that would exclude expired points.. liberty for example require you to disclose points within the past 3 years)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Absolutely no idea. Will go back and ask these questions. I reckon point 1 may be the issue they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

antodeco wrote: »
    My friend recently took out a new insurance policy (Aug 2019), and received an email today, asking why penalty points, received in May 2015, were not disclosed to them. They werent disclosed as the penalty points had expired.

How did they find out about them, if they had expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

25plus ask if any points in last 5 years. It makes no difference to the premium if they have expired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I was asked by liberty to provide proof that my points had expired when renewing.

There were a few other issues with the quote and by the time they were fixed they no longer wanted the proof, but it was requested.

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    25plus ask if any points in last 5 years. It makes no difference to the premium if they have expired

Thats who it is!

coylemj wrote: »

Honestly no idea. It wasnt on any previous documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »

The insurance companies have access to the drivers licence register, too many people were not declaring their points so they fixed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This came up here before. Basically under GDPR the company are not entitled to ask for this information or to use it against you. Expired points do not exist. Make a complaint to the data protection commissioner.

The last time this came up the company got a ticking off from the DPC for holding data after its useful period. Don't know if was 25plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Surely if they’re expired they shouldn’t be on you licence? If they’re expired, they’re expired....

I’m not laying any blame here on the insurance companies, rather the drivers register.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

seamus wrote: »
    This came up here before. Basically under GDPR the company are not entitled to ask for this information or to use it against you. Expired points do not exist. Make a complaint to the data protection commissioner.

The last time this came up the company got a ticking off from the DPC for holding data after its useful period. Don't know if was 25plus.

Are you sure?

I thought it was standard for motor insurers to enquire about accidents claims and convictions within the last 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Are you sure?

I thought it was standard for motor insurers to enquire about accidents claims and convictions within the last 5 years?

Penalty points aren’t regarded as a motoring conviction.

Advertisement